What's new

Grey beard hairs

I have the impression that in my greying beard, that the grey hairs are tougher, stiffer than my black ones.

What think you fellow -"salt and pepper" beard owners?

S.

Definitely true. No question about it. Shaving gets more difficult the more you get gray hairs in your beard.

Head hair that is gray also has a different texture than hair with your old color; it tends to be stiffer and less amenable to brushing/combing, etc.

Yup, that's because the grey hairs have been around much longer. Ya, they are older and tougher than those young black hairs.:biggrin1:

Well, I know my grey scalp hairs are certainly less "well behaved", but since I don't shave there, I wondered about how difficult they would be to cut.

I am a newbie here and have not yet read the entirety of this huge resource, but I have read somewhere that short hairs have greater tensile strength or some similar quality than copper wire of the same diameter. Something like that anyway.

Can you imagine cutting a beard composed of tiny copper wires sticking out of your face?

True - Also, I read somewhere that grey hair is the result of a hydrogen peroxide issue within your body (?) Can't recall if it's your system making too much of it or not enough...all I know is pouring some on my beard didn't make the hair go black again. :frown:

I have the impression that in my greying beard, that the grey hairs are tougher, stiffer than my black ones.

Yeah, they're tougher.

wow..but what happens when gray beomes white?..softer..so I hear

Not softer. Tougher. See above.

The good news is that as you age, your face becomes much less sensitive. I can commit all kinds of shaving sins today that in my 20's and 30's would have resulted in debilitating razor burn. I guess the shave gods are somewhat more tolerant and merciful as you get older.

-- John Gehman

True - Also, I read somewhere that grey hair is the result of a hydrogen peroxide issue within your body (?) Can't recall if it's your system making too much of it or not enough...all I know is pouring some on my beard didn't make the hair go black again. :frown:

Your hairs turn grey because the pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) stop producing pigment. Has nothing to do with hydrogen peroxide.

I would say that 80% of my facial hair is now coming in white. Having red hair and with the graying effect coming on strong, I've had friends comment that my hair is turning blonde. I just reply "thanks" then tell them to stop trying to be nice and call it what it is, GRAY. lol I earned every darned one of them. The eyebrows are a mystery to me. Good Lord, they are coming in wild! Overnight, it seems. Isn't growing older fun?

Your hairs turn grey because the pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) stop producing pigment. Has nothing to do with hydrogen peroxide.

+1.

[/geekmode:eek:n] 2 kinds of stem cells in a hair follicle. One makes cells that produce hair and the other makes cells that generate the color. [/geekmode:eek:ff]

I would say that 80% of my facial hair is now coming in white. Having red hair and with the graying effect coming on strong, I've had friends comment that my hair is turning blonde. I just reply "thanks" then tell them to stop trying to be nice and call it what it is, GRAY. lol I earned every darned one of them. The eyebrows are a mystery to me. Good Lord, they are coming in wild! Overnight, it seems. Isn't growing older fun?

:lol: I mentioned to a friend several years ago that I knew I was getting older since it took the barber longer to trim my eyebrows, mustache and ears than it did for the rest of my head!

Dave

Interesting information. I have most of my greys on my chin...thought it was primarily a technique issue. They definitely need an extra pass.

Definitely harder.

Only thing is, I read that there's no such thing as a grey hair. They either have color or not, so it's really all white hair. Maybe there's a middle ground where there's still some color, but in that case they're really shades of colors, never grey, unless your original color was black.

Not being pedantic, just a little peeved at the whites and can't resist cussing at them.

Definitely harder.

Only thing is, I read that there's no such thing as a grey hair. They either have color or not, so it's really all white hair. Maybe there's a middle ground where there's still some color, but in that case they're really shades of colors, never grey, unless your original color was black.

Not being pedantic, just a little peeved at the whites and can't resist cussing at them.

Having had a ton of greys since I was 18, they don't bother me so much. They made me look closer to 15 at the time :w00t:.

Top Bottom