What's new

Sorry in advance...

if I'm being a knucklehead but:
I've just read a post in which a fellow noob mentions using both sides of the DE during the shave. I was just going to use up one side (apprx. 5 days) then use the other.

Am I supposed to be using both sides? Someone please enlighten this poor soul. Don't mean to cause any trouble with my ignorance.

Thanks again B&B'ers.

It depends on you what you want to do. Would you be able to keep track of which side you have been using? Also using both sides equally initially takes some getting used to but it does speed up the process a lot.

Once again it all depends on what you feel more comfortable with.

i always go scrape, flip, scrape rinse repeat.

over the course of a few shaves the use of each side will be pretty even

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Don't pay any attention to the sides.
Shave till one side is lathery, spin it and shave with the other side.
Rinse it off, but don't even think about keeping track of what side is what.
The law of averages will equal everything out over the course of the life of the blade, however many days that is.

I concur with the comments above. Using both sides is easier (less rinsing), faster and there is nothing to keep track of. I would add something which might be anecdotal but I think adds to blade life in my experience. After 2 or 3 days (depending on blade brand) I remove the blade from the razor and flip it so that the top part of the blade is facing the bottom (or viceversa.)

I agree with all the others. Use both sides since there is less lather to worry about. Besides, I know I would never be able to remember which side I used.

As others have mentioned, just use both sides. If I forget to use both sides before rinsing, I'll usually rinse-and-flip.

I'd say the scrape/flip/rinse crowd has carried the day! My personal preference also. But like other aspects of wet shaving, it a personal preference.

After all those replies, let's hope the OP was talking about using both edges of the blade, and not talking about actually flipping the blade over, which is something that would do no good whatsoever. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Don't pay any attention to the sides.
Shave till one side is lathery, spin it and shave with the other side.
Rinse it off, but don't even think about keeping track of what side is what.
The law of averages will equal everything out over the course of the life of the blade, however many days that is.

+1.

Welcome to B&B!

I agree with the majority, scrape/flip/scrape/rinse/repeat.

If I took the time to pay attention to which side of the blade I used each pass I would not enjoy the experience that is found with wetshaving.

Enjoy and Welcome to B&B!

just scrape, spin, scrape spin, rinse, flip it, shave around the edges, spin etc. It feels quite natural to me and the way i did it first go shaving...no idea why you would use only one side, you have to rinse it twice at often!

There aren't many rules associated with shaving. And, certainly nothing that mandates that you rotate your razer during each shave to utilize both sides of the blade. So... do as you see fit. If you prefer using one side for five shaves and then using the other side.... more power to you. If you want to use both sides during each shave... go for it. At the end of the day all that is really important is that you've made the process as enjoyable, FOR YOU, as possible!]

Good luck! And, welcome to the board....

Top Bottom