What's new

Adjustment Period

How long did it take you guys to adjust from using a multi bladed razor to a DE razor? I've been using my DE razor for a week now, but with learning how to lather, to keeping everything warm, to getting over the fear of cutting my face, I haven't gotten a decent shave yet. Small stubble all the time. But on a brighter note, haven't cut my thumb since my first try! :thumbup:

I remember that period of time! I don't think I really adjusted to switching over to the DE for several months, and only recently have I noticed how cheap and lightweight a cartridge razor feels compared to my Merkur HD. I think it took me about 3 weeks before I got my first BBS shave, although I was generally getting a DFS from the start with three or so passes. But, I also shaved both day and night during my 2nd week. Also, after those first two or three shaves where my hands shook, then the next two or three where my lips and face shook, I pretty much felt comfortable trying the blade at different angles and directions. I guess I never had much stubble - my facial hair tends to grow pretty slow.

Good luck to you. Hope you look back fondly on this time.

Last edited:
I am waiting for my blades to come in the mail today so I can give it a go. I'm planning to be an acceptable shaver by 2010:blush:

It took me a couple of weeks to my technique down. It took me about 6 weeks to find the right combination of razor and razor blades that gave me consistent DFS+ or BBS shaves ('56 Redtip and BlueBird blades).

B

bluefoxicy

I just recently figured out if I ease the pressure off just a bit more than I've been doing for the last year, I can get a much better shave.:001_huh:

I started wetshaving in late August or early September. It took me about a week to get the hang of the razor, about a month to make consistently good lather from cream, and I'm still working on consistent soap lathering. I got acceptable shaves right from the start, but it's only now that all the pieces are coming together for a DFS or near-BBS every day.

A couple weeks to get a decent shave. I'm still working on the perfect combo of blade and razor. I have found that no pressure and fewer passes in the beginning make it much easier.

I realize this is heretical, but if I were you, I would hold off on the DE until I got my lathering skills up to speed, unless you are coming to the DE from an electric and were not using any other kind of blade. I assure you, based on long time lathering, that good lather will make the transition smoother. IMHO, good lather can help to make up for lack of good razor technique.

If you don't believe this, just ask any experienced DE user here how his shave quality would go down if he had to use canned goo.

As always, YMMV.

It took me about 8 weeks. I realized that to get a DFS or BBS, I would have to vary pressure around my face and use the exact same passes I used with a cartidge razor. That was with the DE razor, I'm in the same boat again as im trying out the str8 now, but like with the DE, I'll get it down.

I realize this is heretical, but if I were you, I would hold off on the DE until I got my lathering skills up to speed, unless you are coming to the DE from an electric and were not using any other kind of blade. I assure you, based on long time lathering, that good lather will make the transition smoother. IMHO, good lather can help to make up for lack of good razor technique.

If you don't believe this, just ask any experienced DE user here how his shave quality would go down if he had to use canned goo.

As always, YMMV.

I would try your suggestion, but I threw my multi-blade away when I got my DE stuff. Didn't want the temptation. Hehe.

It took me about a month with most of my problem being the lather. My first great shave was actually with a blade I didn't even like at first. The difference was some Mama Bear soap and using a deeper mug to mix. My other problem was swapping out razors, blades, cream, soaps, bowls in the first month. I should have stayed with one razor and blade and made little changes 1 at a time. Keep with it, it'll come. Even if you get a bad shave today, you get to redo it again tomorrow.

Every time I thought I had it down, I would butcher my face the next time out. It probably took about two or three months before I felt 100% comfortable with the instruments, considering I was trying different razors with different blades.

I strongly recommend starting with one and sticking with it. After you get that down, start adding other variables, i.e., different shaving cream, shaving soaps, pre-shave oils, and different blades.

I got my DE stuff a while back but didn't really give it a fair shot. Decided to really learn this so Ive been using it for the past 2 weeks. I always need to finish off with a cartridge to get an acceptable shave but in the past two weeks Ive noticed a bit less razor burn each time and a bit more little hairs in the sink. Baby steps. Even Mantic mentioned that it took him 4 months to get a reliabley good shave on a regular basis. I will stick with it because I want to learn and want to achieve my goal of great shaves everyday.

when i started, i worked on the lather first and continued using the cartridge. i even went out and bought more cartridges. i too was afreaid of slicing off my face while being concerned with pressure and getting the lather just right and everything else. i would say get another set of cartridges, practice with the lather, and once the lather is perfect, move on to blades. you can get a great shave with cartridge and lather. i got such a great shave i didn't wanna switch to de blade. but i did it because of costs. when i made the switch, it probably took about a week maybe 2 max to get a descent shave with a de blade.

Took me a month to get a comfortable shave, BBS took almost the same again.
It was easier once I switched to a heavier razor, but that was my YMMV.

Top Bottom