What's new

help picking dad's xmas present

Hi guys,

I need a little help getting a new brush as an Xmas present for my pa. He is a life long wet shaver. He is very practical, and one of those who has no interest 'luxury'. He is from the golden school of thought that things need not throwing away, or replaced, unless they stop working. As such, his current brush is well over a decade old and has only the outermost bristles remaining. The entire centre section of bristles have long fallen out, and frankly I amazed the thing still functions as a shaving brush.

1. Your existing harem of badgery beauties! ... tell us what brushes you already have (if any) and what qualities about each you like or dislike

Its hard to make out the branding on the current 'brush', but I suspect it was a cheap Wilkinson Sword. In its poor state, I really cant tell whether it is boar or synthetic...

2. Your lathery leanings ... mostly this means do you use soaps or creams? Do you facelather or lather in a bowl? Those answers can often influence the type and size of a brush

he is 100% a face latherer, and uses soaps (wilkinson sword). I have only ever seen him use a cream (ingram) once, and that was due to travel practicalities

3. What you want from your next brush .... now that you've told us which brushes you have (see above), tell us what you want from your new brush ... "firmer than my Vulfix ... smaller than my Polo 8 ... not as prickly as my boar-hair brush ..." You get the idea. Maybe you can't compare this to a brush you already have .... "I want a scrubby facelathering brush for triple-milled soaps" or even "I want my first brush ... a good introductory badger brush."

as I mentioned before, he is not one who cares about luxury. I dont think he would get along at all with anything soft and limp. I have heard him talk before of how he likes the 'roughness' of his brush. So my guess is that a replacement brush should be firm and scrubby

4. Brush aesthetics ... kind of a rough, catch-all phrase meaning "tell us more about what you want in the brush". Maybe you want a long skinny handle? or a handle that's easy to grip when wet and covered in tather? Material and colour? Overall appearance? Do you want "heft"? If you tell us the bruah has to have a black handle, we'll not bother you with white-handled options!

nothing ornate required, although I would like to get him something that is quality made, looks and feels quailty made, and will last 100 years if well looked after. Simple, gripable-when-wet, handle design, with simple colours. Infact, anything more fancy looking will probably put him off

5. Budget. If SWMBO has given you $80 for the brush, there's not
much point in us telling you that a Plisson HMW is exactly what you need.

my budget is £50 which I believe is about $80

6. Size matters .... if you like small brushes, or large, or medium ... or whatever ... let us know and we can direct you.

not really sure. My guess would be medium. Although his current brush has fewer hairs left on it than you could possibly imagine!

Thanks very much in advance for your time and help. With your help, I hope to give my dad something that he will really love and use daily for another 10 years!

If you are going for Badger, it sounds like he may like a rooney, because they tend to be scrubby. Maybe a medium size in best badger or silvertip. I think both of those are around $80.

If you are going with a Badger brush, check out Rooney 1/2 and 3/1. The pure badger brushes will be good for scratchy, face lathering with triple-milled soaps. If you think he might like a boar brush, then check out an Omega or Boreal from Shoeboxshave shop. The Boreal is a nice boar brush that will give him plenty of backbone and scrubbiness.

Last edited:
If you are going for Badger, it sounds like he may like a rooney, because they tend to be scrubby. Maybe a medium size in best badger or silvertip. I think both of those are around $80.

+ 1 on the Rooney. I just picked a 3/1 up for about $75. Nicely scrubby but not too rough. You can see a picture of it in a post I did recently titled, "Rooney Pics".

I think if he doesn't like soft, you should avoid a Rooney super.
A semogue 1305 may make a great gift for him. I've heard they have great backbone and soft enough tips. thevintagescent.com has those.
A custom made black badger brush from the Goldennib would be another great option as I've heard the hairs are prickly. thegoldennib.com or penworks.us or penchetta.com
An Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger brush is yet another option. Check theenglishshavingcompany.com for that one.
You have a lot of options. I would aim for a dense pure badger or best badger brush with good backbone or a nice boar.
Good luck!

I disagree. The Rooney Super isn't what I'd call soft. I like it a lot, but it ain't soft.

It's very firm at the base of the hairs, but I don't think it really has the "roughness" that his dad seems to like. The 1/1 in my opinion has soft tips not prickly or rough tips, which you could find in pure and best brushes.
If you want to get him a brush with soft tips and a very dense and firm knot, I'd recommend the 1/1 in super.

I got a Rooney Heritage Stubby in pure badger. I love this thing with soaps. It works well with Pre de Provence and Tabac that I have. It's a firm brush and just scratchy enough. I picked it up from ClassicShaving awhile back for around $55 or so. I feel like it's more firm than my 1/1 in super, but the super has softer tips and feels pretty dense. I don't think the pure feels as dense, but it's not necessarily floppy. Both are great brushes, if you want something a little more rough and scratchy, the pure gets it.

Check out the Semogue brushes. One of the boar ones, I forget the model number has been very well received and reviewed here. That brush is not expensive, definitely well under £50.

As to soaps/creams, you may want to snag him some Tabac or Irisch Moos Shave Stick. I also am a big fan of TOBS and T&H, but don't know how well he would enjoy those creams.

Hi guys,

I need a little help getting a new brush as an Xmas present for my pa. He is a life long wet shaver. He is very practical, and one of those who has no interest 'luxury'. He is from the golden school of thought that things need not throwing away, or replaced, unless they stop working. As such, his current brush is well over a decade old and has only the outermost bristles remaining. The entire centre section of bristles have long fallen out, and frankly I amazed the thing still functions as a shaving brush.

Just a thought that may or may not work: if he's emotionally tied to this old brush, why not have Rudy Vey put in a new knot into it for him? It's the ultimate practical solution to the problem, and I can guarantee that Rudy will do a great job, as he did on my old Kent.

Top Bottom