What's new

Who has shaved with original NOXZEMA skin cream?

When I first started shaving (about 25 years ago), some oldtimers recommended I shave with original Noxzema skin cream applied under regular (like Barbasol) shave cream. It's been a while since I've tried it, but from what I remember it, it was nice. The only problem I recall was that the cream clung to the razor and left a residue that was stubborn to remove.

An old-time barber in my neighborhood still shaves his clients this way.

Anybody else ever try this?

Note: There is a substantial difference between actual original NOXZEMA skin cream and most crappy $.99 store knock-offs, beware.

It's been a while since I've tried it, but from what I remember it, it was nice. The only problem I recall was that the cream clung to the razor and left a residue that was stubborn to remove.

I used the noxzema a couple times as a replacement for proraso pre, and had this problem with the razor clogging, and moreover my face was not slippery like it was without the noxzema. I will not be using it again in this fashion.

I think Tim (ratcheer) used the noxzema with success.

well, I'll deviate a little, I used to shave with the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube for many years before it was finally removed from the market. All I can honestly say, what a loss to the wetshaving world. :frown:

Jeff

I used the noxzema a couple times as a replacement for proraso pre, and had this problem with the razor clogging, and moreover my face was not slippery like it was without the noxzema. I will not be using it again in this fashion.

I think Tim (ratcheer) used the noxzema with success.

Yes, I thought it was very similar to the Proraso pre-shave cream. But, upon direct, side-to-side comparison, the Proraso does indeed seem to be lighter and slipperier (how do you spell that?). Also, the Proraso seems to have much more of the cooling sensation.

So, at this point, I'd say Proraso is somewhat better, but I still like the Noxema. And, with a huge tub being less than $4 at Wal-Mart, it is much less costly.

Tim

well, I'll deviate a little, I used to shave with the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube for many years before it was finally removed from the market. All I can honestly say, what a loss to the wetshaving world. :frown:

Jeff

Jeff,

I bought some Noxzema lather shaving cream in Pisa for three and a half euros in September, so it's still out there. (Even though it contains Propylene Glycol)

Is there a site somewhere that anyone knows of that still sells the Orignal Noxema Lather Cream in the tube? Apparently it is still manufactured, just not marketed in the U.S.

I tried shaving with Noxzema Skin Cream almost one year ago and while I managed a decent shave it tended to clog my razor and I did not like the tingly feeling on my skin caused by some of the ingredients. My nose also completely revolted at the scent. After 2-3 shaves, I gave the big tub to my sister-in-law. Nowadays, I get a much more enjoyable, close, and comfortable shave from all natural bath soaps.

JimT

This is the first I hear about this. Now I will have to go out and buy a tub and try it..Thanks a Lot ! :mad3:

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! Do I ever wish I knew that before, my friend. Noxzema is one shaving cream I'd do just about anything for.

Jeff

I use Kirk's Castile soap to lather up my face and then work in some Noxzema and get a cool close shave everytime!:biggrin:

My father swears by using noxzema skin cream from the tub to shave. I use it as a pre, putting it on half way through my shower and leaving it on till after i whip up a lather and select a razor. Then I wrinse it off, wash my face quickly, apply pre shave oil, and hit my face with the cream. My prep is kind of elaborate :rolleyes:

Noxzema does wonders for skin though......

I started shaving with Noxzema Brushless in the blue jar about 35 years ago. I remember finding my last jar back in the mid 90's at a CVS drug store in the USA. Months later when I needed a new jar I realized it was no longer made. I searched all the local stores but all I could find at the time were the tubes. I bought all I could and had a stockpile that lasted me years. It is now long gone and I began shaving with Noxzema original cleansing cream.
As I recall the original brushless in the jar's ingrediants had a few additonal additives along with the light pink color compared to the original skin cream but I made do all these years as there is nothng available which is comparable to the original brushless. Back when I bought the tubes (I never bought the tubes when the blue jar was available) I compared the ingrediants of the tubes to the jar and they were different. I believe the original brushless in the jar would never come out of a tube due to it's thickness.
I came up wth a blend that you may want to try. Buy some Gables Brushless Shave Cream . Barbers in the states have used it for years as a substitute for Noxzema. You can purchase it at a local Barber Supply Store or online. I by mine at $5 for a 16 OZ jar. It is a little runny. It has the light pink color and the smell of Noxzema. What I do is mix a half a jar of Original Noxzema Skin Cream with half a jar of Gables. It mixes together easily. Then I enjoy a shave that takes me back in time to my youth.

I started shaving with Noxzema Brushless in the blue jar about 35 years ago. I remember finding my last jar back in the mid 90's at a CVS drug store in the USA. Months later when I needed a new jar I realized it was no longer made. I searched all the local stores but all I could find at the time were the tubes. I bought all I could and had a stockpile that lasted me years. It is now long gone and I began shaving with Noxzema original cleansing cream.
As I recall the original brushless in the jar's ingrediants had a few additonal additives along with the light pink color compared to the original skin cream but I made do all these years as there is nothng available which is comparable to the original brushless. Back when I bought the tubes (I never bought the tubes when the blue jar was available) I compared the ingrediants of the tubes to the jar and they were different. I believe the original brushless in the jar would never come out of a tube due to it's thickness.
I came up wth a blend that you may want to try. Buy some Gables Brushless Shave Cream . Barbers in the states have used it for years as a substitute for Noxzema. You can purchase it at a local Barber Supply Store or online. I by mine at $5 for a 16 OZ jar. It is a little runny. It has the light pink color and the smell of Noxzema. What I do is mix a half a jar of Original Noxzema Skin Cream with half a jar of Gables. It mixes together easily. Then I enjoy a shave that takes me back in time to my youth.

Great first post. I'm gonna try this mixture as soon as I can find the Gables.

Welcome to B&B
Clayton

I used the pink Noxema brushless after I found that my shaves were always irritated from using Woods of Windsor with my brush (this is around 1990). In retrospect, if I'd known how to make a decent lather, it might have turned out differently. It did leave my face with a lingering Noxema scent during the day, but there are worse things.

My only problem with the stuff was cleaning it out of the razor cartridges and, eventually, out of the sink trap. It acted as sort of a high cholesterol diet for my drain and would gradually lead to slow draining from my sink.

- Chris

Top Bottom