What's new

second straight shave!!

I posted this in sotd...but want to share my narrative here:

WH Morley Straight, some degree of hollow grind
Rup Razor Filly Strop
Omega Boar Brush
Prairie Creations Lavendar EO
Aveda ASB

Second time with the straight--following SRP instructions, I hit my sideburns when I picked this puppy up for the first time. This time, I planned to roll through my cheeks.

The blade didn't seem as sharp as I think it should be, so I hit the chromium oxide side of the filly strop a couple of times and then onto the leather. With that, tried it on the back of my hand and the hairs were popping, so off to the face.

Two minor mistakes, I had a few distractions (kids in the tub...hmmm...is that a bad idea?) and I used the Omega for the first time. So, my lather wasn't as good as I can get with my Tweezerman which probably limited my usual slickness/cushion. I will get there with the Omega, it will just take time....and that boar smell...I grew up on a hog farm, and it does indeed smell like a wet pig for now, even overpowering my lavendar eo ss.

I also realized how much different this is than a d.e. The length of the blade is easy to underestimate. Hitting the first sideburn, the tip found my earlobe, little cut, no big deal.....rolled through each sideburn ok, and then to the first cheek. First cheek, slid the blade a bit sideways ala slicing motion and a little cut there...so I put it away for the night. In spite of a bit of blood, I think this is going to be a cool way to shave--but I won't give up my d.e....I am still craving an Edwin Jagger w/ new Muhle head.....and then more straights....

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good one! You might want to reduce the distractions if you can to prevent any nicks!

I took yesterday off--and had another go with the straight--I am letting the witch hazel dry before Aveda ASB and a bit of triple antibiotic ointment in a few places. as i type..oops.

But--much better today. My biggest challenge seems to be starting--I always start at the sideburns and am working out the angles to avoid blind spots. With that, started there, brought it down on each side, went well...onto the lip...chin...and I even tackled my neck, so a first complete straight shave is in the books.

The curvy areas are a bit stubbly, but flat surfaces, even on my neck are in great shape. The biggest problem is that I am going slow-slow-slow, so I may try some olive oil to retain moisture and start lathering an area at a time so it doesn't dry out on my face until I get the hang of this a bit more. As it is--I dipped the brush tips in hot water and stirred it up a bit on my face to get it moving again. Thanks for everyone's support!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sounds good! It's addictive isn't it? :biggrin:

Top Bottom