What's new

Shine Your Shoes

Do you shine your own shoes? Or do you even shine your shoes?

When I was in high school all the way up until I got out of law enforcement I shined with KIWI or some other wax. Melting the wax, spit shining. This was good for those types of shoes.

I love a shined shoe. It's like a pressed shirt and a BBS face.

I don't spend as much time on my shoes now, couldn't really make THAT a hobby. But, I do shine them with this stuff I found. I like it because it is green/ safe. I'm a bit of an environmentalist.

http://quickcareproducts.com/shoecare.htm

There's a product just for leather dress shoes that you wipe on and let dry. Seems to work fairly well. I used it on my couch but it left it kind of tacky feeling. I use something else for the couch now.

Try them out. See what you think. Let me know.

What do you use now? I'm up for other suggestions too. I'd love to have a barber shop with a shoe shine in it. But, that's not around here so I have to make do with this.

Define "these" products.

People post what they use all day long. That's what the entire board consists of. Asking for recomnedations, suggestions and telling what we liked and don't like about our products.

There's posts for hats, colognes, creams, shoes, etc.

This is a product I use and I like. I was asking what other things people like and use. That way I can try those if I so desired. And, people can try this product if they so desired.

Same reasons others post topics. :biggrin:

Why do you ask?

FWIW seems useful to me to have the product link. Makes it clear what we are talking about. I have not used that one. I guess I like Lincoln "stain wax" paste shoe polish the best, but I find it dries out very quickly in the can. I am always tossing out cans with more than 1/2 left that have gotten dried out, so I am discouraged.

I have also been using glycerine saddle soap, but I am not sure it is good for my shoes or not.

I agree. Too often people suggest something and I have no clue where to get it.

I think I may come across as I am selling something. Sorry, I am a salesman. It's what I do. I pitch and market products.

Anywho...yeah, the product I mentioned I saw it at our state fair a few years ago. It's all I've been using as of late.

Linclon wax! Yep! I remember that!! Couldn't think of the name of it. Gosh, may get some just to have a go at it. It has yellow letters on the can, right?

I always put a little water in the can before closing it. Mine never dried out that I can recall. But, I did use it quite often, so may not of had a chance.

And, I'd set fire to it sometimes, melting it. Ahh...the days....

I swear, I am going to start a franchise of old school barber shops that straight razor shave and shine shoes.

Yellow letters, for sure. (I have not financial interest in this product!) I have put water in the can, too. Just does not do it. I probably do not polish my shoes often enough. I have never tried the fire business. I have put a hair drier to it to heat it up and used a hair drier on the shoes after a coating of polish.

Old barber shops had a lot going for them. Hard to find a decent shoe shine these days, or a decently priced one. Used to be a professinal shine was always better than what I could do on my own.

I polish my shoes weekly with Kiwi. Done this all the way through the army and then as a police officer. I use the normal black polish though. Never the parade gloss. I can increase the luster using the normal black polish by spit shining but can't be bothered doing this anymore. I really dislike the look of scruffy shoes and find I can get better mileage from my shoes by looking after them.

I agree. I think it's true what people say about your shoes making an impression.

When I worked in law enforcement I shined, but dulled them. Didn't want a glossy surface to show my whereabouts if I was in the dark looking for someone. But, polish was used in order to get rid of scuffs and give them a neat and clean appearance. Now, if I was in Class A dress uniform...then it was on.

I would shine my shoes so well, then hold it up to my face and shave with the reflection.

If there were folks near me to do it, I would! Used to be able to go to the airport and have it done, but you don't even see that anymore.

I have several pairs of shoes that I rotate during the work week and I'll sit down and polish a couple pairs while watching football on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I use the Cole Haan branded shoe polish since I buy a pair of shoe trees and polish each time I buy a pair of shoes. Shoe trees are extremely important to maitaining the life of your shoes.

I polish my shoes weekly with Kiwi. Done this all the way through the army and then as a police officer. I use the normal black polish though. Never the parade gloss. I can increase the luster using the normal black polish by spit shining but can't be bothered doing this anymore. I really dislike the look of scruffy shoes and find I can get better mileage from my shoes by looking after them.

Is not using parade gloss just the look you do not like or some other reason. I think PG has a good deal of silicon in it which always worried me as to whether it ws hurting the leather, but I have heard mixed things about whether it does.

Agree re shoe trees' importances.

What are folks using for saddle soap and or lotions? Does anyone use anything else like some of those saddle preservatives? I have had mixed results?

Anyone figure out how to get rid of or minimize cracks once they are there?

I swear, I am going to start a franchise of old school barber shops that straight razor shave and shine shoes.

There's was place in Connecticut where you could not only get a your haircut, a shave and shoes shined but you could smoke a cigar during the whole process. Loved that place. Haven't been there in a while.

I go to a shoe shine booth. Pay $10, and chat about sports, women, life...it is good times. And the result is far better than what I could do.

What are folks using for saddle soap and or lotions? Does anyone use anything else like some of those saddle preservatives? I have had mixed results?

Anyone figure out how to get rid of or minimize cracks once they are there?

I believe saddle soap is used to clean-off dirt and old wax/polish and then followed by a wax/polish.

I remember a product called Lexol at many shoe cobblers, not sure what it does...?

I believe saddle soap is used to clean-off dirt and old wax/polish and then followed by a wax/polish.

I remember a product called Lexol at many shoe cobblers, not sure what it does...?

There are all different kinds of saddle soaps and any number of other products out there. Have a look at a saddle shop some time! I will remember the name of one product in particular that was suggested to me and post later. Very thick stuff.

Lexol makes leather cleaners and conditioners and no telling what else. Good stuff from what I can tell. Not specific to shoes. I have seen pros use rubbing alcohol to clean off the leather and I suppose clean off polish. Other have said important to use conditioners after the shine, whereas I think most use conditioner before polish.

Saddle soap is a conditioner more than anything. At least, that's what I've always understood. A shoe guru or leather worker may jump in and set it all straight.

Kiwi and such DOES have things in it that can in fact dry out your leather. Cause cracking. The theory is you'll keep applying. Perhaps it is done so on purpose so you keep using and buying their product. And, true you always will hear mixed things. None of my shoes have ever been hurt by polishing them.

This other stuff I use in the link, is "supposed" to have more natural and "safe" ingredients, so I don't worry as much. Even still, they'll be long gone and worn out before any of that happens.

I have just started using Shoe Trees. Really helps, especially when traveling.

Top Bottom