What's new

New brush advice

You'd think after hanging around here for two and a half years I'd be able to make up my mind here, but I need some advice on a new brush purchase. I've decided I like my badgers on the smaller side. I've pretty much settled into a routine of shave sticks & face lathering the majority of time. I've owned and sold the following:

Shavemac 23mm silvertip: too big and a little on the floppy side (it was a good cream brush, though);

Savile Row 3118: I used it primarily as a travel brush, sold it when I quit traveling as much. Could have used a little more backbone and density.

Simpson Duke 3: Good all-around brush. Just felt too big.

Rooney 3/2: Also too big, and maybe a little too dense.

Rooney 1/1: Handle too small.

So, I'm considering a a Rooney 2/1 or 3/1, a smaller Duke 1 or 2, or even a small Harvard (I like the shape of the handle). What are my other options? All you multiple brush-owning face-latherers please chime in!

Thanks in advance guys.

I have a Rooney 2/1 in Super and do a lot of face lathering with sticks. It works very well for me in that role, but also does a very nice job on soap pucks either in face or bowl lathering. It also does a fine job with creams. It's a great all around brush.

You'd think after hanging around here for two and a half years I'd be able to make up my mind here, but I need some advice on a new brush purchase. I've decided I like my badgers on the smaller side. I've pretty much settled into a routine of shave sticks & face lathering the majority of time. I've owned and sold the following:

Shavemac 23mm silvertip: too big and a little on the floppy side (it was a good cream brush, though);

Savile Row 3118: I used it primarily as a travel brush, sold it when I quit traveling as much. Could have used a little more backbone and density.

Simpson Duke 3: Good all-around brush. Just felt too big.

Rooney 3/2: Also too big, and maybe a little too dense.

Rooney 1/1: Handle too small.

So, I'm considering a a Rooney 2/1 or 3/1, a smaller Duke 1 or 2, or even a small Harvard (I like the shape of the handle). What are my other options? All you multiple brush-owning face-latherers please chime in!

Thanks in advance guys.

You might try to find a B&B LE from '08... it is a great little brush with a large handle (20.5 mm knot 45 mm loft). Made by Kent with a super dense (triple stuffed if I remember correctly) silvertip...

My vote is for the Rooney 3/1. If you liked the Rooney 1/1 knot, then the 3/1 meets your criteria.

I also think a Rooney 3/1 is an option if you don't like the 1/1 handle. Alternatively, how about a custom Shavemac in Finest? I would recommend a 19mm/45mm knot. It'll cost about the same as 3/1 Super, but you'll get exactly what you want regarding handle style and color. I also think Shavemac's Finest gives up the lather better than Rooney's Super, and Finest is just as soft.

Full disclosure: I only face lather and use shave sticks.

-Andy

I also think a Rooney 3/1 is an option if you don't like the 1/1 handle. Alternatively, how about a custom Shavemac in Finest? I would recommend a 19mm/45mm knot. It'll cost about the same as 3/1 Super, but you'll get exactly what you want regarding handle style and color. I also think Shavemac's Finest gives up the lather better than Rooney's Super, and Finest is just as soft.

Full disclosure: I only face lather and use shave sticks.

-Andy

I couldn't agree more with andrew. My custom Shavemac is 20 mm knot, 45 mm loft in finest grade hair and it is awesome. I like it 10 times better than the Rooney heritage stubby 2 I bought (and then sold)... I use it to face lather, I use it with hard soaps, and I use it with creams in a bowl. Performs in a super way. Great value for money, too. It'll run you half the cost of a Rooney.

s.

I couldn't agree more with andrew. My custom Shavemac is 20 mm knot, 45 mm loft in finest grade hair and it is awesome. I like it 10 times better than the Rooney heritage stubby 2 I bought (and then sold)... I use it to face lather, I use it with hard soaps, and I use it with creams in a bowl. Performs in a super way. Great value for money, too. It'll run you half the cost of a Rooney.

s.

Thanks! You just cured my SBAD regarding those heritage brushes. I've been wondering how they are, but I don't think I could ever shell out for one after paying so little for, and being so delighted with, my custom Shavemac in Finest. I actually like Finest better than my custom with D01 hair.

-Andy

Top Bottom