What's new

Is straight razor THAT much better than a DE?

R

rambo

I was just pondering this. Is a straight razor THAT (like 5 times better) then a DE razor? If you own(ed) a DE and straight razor, how does your best straight razor compare to your best DE with your best blade?

I would say yes and then yes :biggrin: The shaves are much more enjoyable with no irritation, to me it also feels like a placing a new blade in a DE every shave.

I suppose that all depends. I did get fantastic shaves with my DE. I now get very good shaves with my straights, just about as good, but there is still room for improvement. It has taken me quite a while (4-6 months) to get there. So purely in terms of results, no, my straights aren't 5 times better than my DE was. However, I enjoy shaving with a straight far more than I ever did with my Merkur HD. To the point where I now have straights, plural, but only ever had one DE, with no real interest in buying others.

Yes and getting better. You have complete control of the straight where the DE you really don't. Its also more fun.

I've only shaved with a gillette, Mach 3, and a straight, I got razor burn with the first two but with a straight, nothing just a nice comfy shave.

As for blade comparison, everyone is going to prefer a different edge.

In many cases an extremely keen straight razor is sharper than a DE blade. But the coating on a DE blade allows for a smooth cutting action. You don't get that as easily with a straight. Thus the reason to polish the edge on very high grit hones or pastes. And then on clean leather.

I never get ingrowns and very rarely get irritation when I shave with a straight razor. As for a DE I often got both.

Lately I have been able to take a 10 minute shower and still finish a BBS three pass straight razor shave all in under 30 minutes (shower included). Time is not a issue once you have the knack.

I think the only down side is all the money you will potentially spend in the search for the perfect razor(s)/hone(s)/strop(s) etc.

For me Str8 razors have proven to be the hands down best shaves by a fair margin. The learning curve is fairly steep.. at least for me. If you want to pick up a str8 razor and automatically get great results you will probably be disappointed. I had countless crummy shaves, but the whole thing began to come together..now my shaves surpass my best DE shaves. Honestly I didn't know if that day would ever come, but for whatever reason I was having a hell of a fun time learning...and didn't give up for that reason alone at times...I still have so much to learn...IMO str8 razors provide endless possibilities for improvement...that's cool. :biggrin:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think it's a question of what you prefer. I like DE yes but lately I prefer straights. I'm still green with a straight but will get there eventually.

Is it 5 times better? Not sure, it depends if your favorite razor is a DE or straight.

The end result is a smooth,and comfortable shave. Can you get that with a straight? yes.A DE? yes.A cartridge? yes.So is a straight 5 times better?no.It is just different way to get there.

I love shaving with a str8, it's a great way to start the day. I do get a great shave, but there's a spot on my neck that I can't get BBS with the str8 because I can't get the true ATG angle. I usually just do the DFS and go on, but if I want the TRUE BBS, I'll touch up with my Micromatic in that area.

Well that depends...

If it's the quality of the shave-depends on how well you maintain your razor (sharper blade probably wins)
-depends on your skill with the straight - skilled user can probably get as good or better shave than with a DE (my guess as I've only been at it a few months)

The indirect stuff
-straight razor is more meditative - if you're not focused you get cut
-maintenance (stropping, touching up the edge)
-more learning involved

The straight is more like 'slow food' compared to 'take away' (disposable).
More like a manual racing car (if you don't pay constant attention you're in trouble) compared to an automatic.

Sure, thinking is involved with the DE, but it seems to be more so with the straight.

So - I guess it depends on what you're after, what suits you.

If I was just after a really good shave, I'd have stayed with the DE.
I like learning and I like all the other things I've discovered that go with the straight razor shave.

All the best,
Michael.

Last edited:
I simply enjoy it much, much more.

A DE is simply a well built disposable. A nice holder for a blade, which is what a cartridge razor is as well.

A straight is the blade itself. It had nice lines to it. Light glints off it as you hold it. There is nothing between you and the very edge of the razor. The BBS lasts 12 hours.

If you are simply interested in removing your whiskers, then no, it is not much better than a DE.

If you are really interested in enjoying removing your whiskers, then yes, it is much, much better than a DE.

Only been using a straight for about 2 months, haven't used anything else since. I find the straight easier to use around my chin, jaw bone and neck. I get a much better shave than I ever got with a DE. But I only used a DE for about 3 months so was probably my lack of technique. Don't think I will ever use anything else. Touch Wood! I love everything about straights.

I went directly from an electric to straight and persevered until I now have pretty good skills with a straight. Recently I tried out some DEs and found that I wasnt able to get as good a shave. I put this down to lack of practice/skills with a DE. I think whatever you use most, will be the one that gives best results because that is what you will have the most amount of skill with.

The straight razor takes time to learn how to use and maintain. But most enjoyable rewarding things take time to learn.

The straight is the only shaving instrument I have used that works.

What about the in-between option, the Dovo shavette that you load a split DE blade into? Even loading a Feather into it it was some work for me to get a good shave, and there were places on my face I had to apply more pressure than I was really comfortable with to get it to cut my whiskers. In the end a good close shave, probably closer than DE, but how do these compare to a competently honed and stropped straight?

Five times better shaves with a straight over a DE? No. My calculations indicate a straight shave is 1.35676333 times better than a DE shave.:wink:

Five times the enjoyment from shaving? Yes.

I believe I get a better shave with a straight than a DE, and I can still feel myself improving with the straight.

I also believe I get a better shave with a GEM SE than a DE, and the learning curve for that (DE to SE) was almost non-existent. One shave.

I think I am now getting a better shave with a straight over the SE but it has been so long since I used my SE (longer yet since I used a DE) that I would really need to go back to the SE for a bit to make a fair comparison.

The straight is a more pleasant experience, but it does take a bit more dedication when you factor in the more detailed clean-up needed. I have been at it (straight shaving) long enough now (5 months) that I just did a touch-up honing job (went reasonable well!) so that also needs to be factored in to the "dedication" required.

I still have my GEM Junior SE sitting out on the counter for use if I am in a hurry, but it has been 2-3 months since I have been in a hurry!

Top Bottom