What's new

What's the most classic aftershaves?

I haven't been using aftershaves a lot - that is until recently when I started DE shaving, now I rarely leave the house without wearing it.
It is an old school or say classic way of shaving, and I have begun to take interest in the classic aftershaves to compliment the way of shaving.

It can always be discussed what defines classic , but to make things easier let's just say it had to be available at least 25 years ago (1984) and still available today.

Of course everyone has their own favorites, but liking the scent or not; what would you consider to be the five most classic aftershaves?
Please state from 1-5, where 1 is the most classic, thanks :smile:

1. Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
2. Pinaud Bay Rum
3. Old Spice
4. Aqua Velva
5. Skin Bracer

These all strike me as working class warriors that have been around a long time, are ubiquitous, and still have fans among the old and the young

Here's my grouping, starting with the "most classic":

1. Old Spice
2. Aqua Velva
3. Mennen Skin Bracer
4. Brut
5. Pinaud Clubman

:cool:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Aqua Velva
Old Spice
Skin Bracer
Brut
English Leather*

*Perhaps it's not a top-fiver but certainly a popular "classic" one.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting to see names like Pinaud and Old Spice.

I'm also surprised that Musgo isn't there or Proraso...

US bias, I'd guess.

Probably. And speaking of probably's, I should probably post my list.

1. Aqua Velva
2. Old Spice
3. Skin Bracer
4. Bay Rum
5. Clubman

The top three are all aftershaves my grandfathers and even my great grandfathers used. I actually found out recently that one of my great grandfathers actually wore Old Spice to church every Sunday. I thinking I may continue that tradition by wearing Old Spice every Sunday too, well the generic version anyway. :001_smile

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
1. Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
2. Pinaud Clubman
3. Old Spice (original or the Ivy Club substitute)
4. Any decent Bay Rum
5. Aqua Velva

Aqua Velva
Pinaud Clubman

I just "re-found" these after years of being sucked into slick marketing and phonie social snobbery. Long story short- "I strapped a pair on", and will never go back to sissy scents. Thanks to these time tested scents I have regained my personal manhood. Metrosexual my A##!

Never sit when a lady enters the room,and never sit to pee, ever ever ever!

Wouldn't that depend on the date that you call classic? Everything people listed is a classic, but Old Spice first came about in the 30s, Aqua Velva in 1929. If by classic you mean very old, the English Houses all have scents that are far older.

+1 Old Spice

. ..and brut as well, i use the spice reguarly as my dad uses brut, and honestly i don't want to smell like him. but my great grandpa, he was an old spice guy.

Lately I like

-Old Spice
-English Leather

The Old Spice is too sweet and powdery smelling for me sometimes though. The two listed above contrast very well for day-today changes. I also use Ralph Lauren Romance.

If by classic you mean age and history, then the three Ts are far more classic that old spice and aqua velva

i almost put down TOBS 74 Original, which I love.

but to me classic means not just pedigree and age, but status in the minds of the masses. while i love the English houses, I'm not sure their AS are above Old Spice and AV in terms of legendariness (in the USA, at least)

Top Bottom