What's new

How are the new TI 1.2% 65 Rockwell razors.....AD hell

I noticed that RasurPur has a new set of razors in. They are the new forgings with 1.2% carbon,65 Rockwell steel. The picture is of a blond horn model. This french nosed 6/8 razor really gets me going. I usually don't like full hollows but with the added hardness of this blade I was thinking that they would be between 1/4 grind and a full hollow in feel.

Anybody have any ideas or experience with similar razors? Or this razor? They should be different from the Silverwings and they are 6/8 which I like.

Take Care,
Richard

Last edited:
i´m sorry but I am sure you meant 65°HRC not 95 :cool:

Is there really a difference? IDK, because I only have an older TI.
I would be glad to know, because I considered buying one of those mentioned above in the near future

I don't think the size should matter. I have a Silverwing and I'm not a fan of the new steel. It has a totally different feel than any other razor I have and I have about 100. It feels very heavy when you shave. Its also a bear to hone and maintain because of the hardness. However it does give a very close shave.

I like them!
They give the closest, smoothest and quickest shave without cutting the skin.
And very ease to hone. I hone them just like the other razors I own.
The new steel is very easy to recognise, and, oh, don't think you have to buy
the most expensive TI to have this steel. Even one of their cheapest razors like the "coiffeur 1937" or the "Rasoir français extra sonnant" are made of this steel.
You can recognise them by the letters Y or T, maybe now some other letters of the alphabet, stamped on the back of the tang on the razor.
Buy them, you will not be disappointed.

Wow, talk about mixed reviews. My interest is certainly peaked.

the Grelot's seem to have harder steel as well, harder than most to hone, and no one denies that they're great shavers.

Wow, talk about mixed reviews. My interest is certainly peaked.

the Grelot's seem to have harder steel as well, harder than most to hone, and no one denies that they're great shavers.

and ive got an original grelot (from when they were their own company, not from when TI got a hold of them) and its even harder steel again and it shaves great

I have accumalated a few TI vintage, historics and new steel. I also have the famous le grelot 1/4 grinds.

I really really like the new steel. I have the silverwing and the ebony scaled blade from rasurpur. They do provide an extremly close and Nick free shave.I don't think they feel any heavier than the le grelots. But they seem like a very controlled blade.

I would not hesitate to get them.

I too like the new steel. It's a little trickier to hone, but once dialed in, the razor shaves just fine. My hesitation is the quality control. Until it becomes well known that TI has addressed those issues, I remain wary.

I don't think the size should matter. I have a Silverwing and I'm not a fan of the new steel. It has a totally different feel than any other razor I have and I have about 100. It feels very heavy when you shave. Its also a bear to hone and maintain because of the hardness. However it does give a very close shave.

If I am not mistaken the Silverwing is a 5/8 which would make for a pretty stiff razor because of the added hardness and thus less flexing. I was hoping the added width to a 6/8 would make it like a 1/4 grind but with less weight.

A 100 razors! WOW!

Take care,
R

I have accumalated a few TI vintage, historics and new steel. I also have the famous le grelot 1/4 grinds.

I really really like the new steel. I have the silverwing and the ebony scaled blade from rasurpur. They do provide an extremly close and Nick free shave.I don't think they feel any heavier than the le grelots. But they seem like a very controlled blade.

I would not hesitate to get them.

So you would think that a 6/8 new steel with at French point would have a lighter touch than the Le Grelot but heaver than the Silverwing?

Later,
Richard

I too like the new steel. It's a little trickier to hone, but once dialed in, the razor shaves just fine. My hesitation is the quality control. Until it becomes well known that TI has addressed those issues, I remain wary.

I've purchased ten new razors from TI in the last year and I can assure you that the QC is excellent.

The harder the steel, the more difficult it is to hone but the longer the edge should stay razor sharp.

The harder the steel, the more brittle the metal and the more likely it is to shatter if you drop it.

The harder the steel the less flexible the blade will be.

Having said all of this, the brand has a huge following so they clearly shave well.

It's not the hardness of the steel, and it's not that the razor is actually heavy. I love hard steel, the harder the better, but I do not like this new stuff. It has too many carbides which makes it harder to hone without improving the quality of the edge, and this also gives the steel a bit of a stainless steel feel during honing and the shave without the maintenance-free benefits of stainless. As with stainless you can work around the honing annoyances by using pasted strops if you're so inclined. If you have a heavy hand on the hone, or if you use the TI 1 micron paste then you'll probably love this steel since you'll get a better edge from it than you would with their older steel. As for the "heaviness" that biggie mentioned, I'd describe it as really more of a numbness to the steel - there's very little feedback from the razors and this cannot be attributed to the hardness of the steel - I've got harder razors (Livi Takeda, Robt Williams) that have much more feedback than the new TIs.

I haven't used mine long enough to know how long this steel holds an edge, and since I don't enjoy shaving with them I'm unlikely to find out anytime soon.

I suspect that the switch to the new steel was driven by their chef's knives. The harder steel has a definite advantage for something that will be chopping through bones and cutting against a board for all of its life, but for razors it's really a bridge too far.

Last edited:
I love this new TI steel.

My Le Canadien is in my top three shavers, alongside my Ellis Hybrid and Vintage Les+++Croix.

I have found that a light touch on a coticule and then 30~40 laps on CrOx is just magic with mine.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's a great looking razor!

Funny, I'm looking at 'Le Canadien' razors also... a big, nice 6/8! :biggrin:

Top Bottom