What's new

why are AOS razors so expensive?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see that one can get a Merkur for $38 or so, which takes blades, and AOS razors that take cartridges are $100 and up :confused:

I thought DE was superior to cart shaving. Are these expensive razors worth it?

M

modern man

You can get the same razor cheaper elsewhere.

If you look at AoS DE razors they are asking like $50 for a Merkur HD

I have an AoS brush and I am sure their are better out their.

I think AoS plays off the High end to the max.

and AOS razors that take cartridges are $100 and up :confused:

DE is superior to Cartridge shaving, but there still are quite a few gents out there (not many here on B&B) that use the cartridge shavers.

As a corollary, there are some of those cart shavers that are willing to buy the razor equipment that AOS sells. I am sure they are mechanically sound and of high quality, but to me not worth the "luxury tax" premium they charge.

As my boy Doc said, you can get excellent shavers elsewhere.

AOS does, however, produce some fine creams soaps and balms. The Sandalwood EDT is also a personal favorite. :thumbup:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see that one can get a Merkur for $38 or so, which takes blades, and AOS razors that take cartridges are $100 and up :confused:

Someone has to pay for their advertising. :wink:

Marty

chirimoya --

This is just marketing and catering to the high-end guys that are buying a luxury. It's just jewelry. There are guys who can and do spend $300 for a dolled up $20 item. There are several European purveyors of shaving goods in the higher price range, so there has to be some significant market.

An attractive, high quality, functional razor runs $20-$100 or so. Some guys are willing to spend $100's or more, just like there are guys that will spend $100's~$1000's on a wristwatch when they could get a decent functional watch for, say, $30.

-- John Gehman

See above....

Most of us like DEs, and find them better. But for guys that use a cartridge, I can understand wanting a nicer handle for it than Gillette makes. AOS prices for those are off the deep end though. There are a number of other companies, notably Shavemac, that make upgraded handles for both DE and cartridge that are not cheap, per se, but much more reasonably priced.

-Mo

Marketing, brand name, bragging rights, etc. I guess it's the same as buying an expensive Mont Blanc. Many argue their not worth the money, but there's a signicant market demand for them or they wouldn't sell so many.

Some guys are willing to spend $100's or more, just like there are guys that will spend $100's~$1000's on a wristwatch when they could get a decent functional watch for, say, $30.

True, but a razor is a razor to a certain extent when you're talking about DE's. You've got the higher end stuff that is technologically superior to a regular HD or something like that, but all in all it's a piece of metal that holds a replacable blade. You're not going to find too many $30 watches with a tourbillion, etc.

Top Bottom