What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Ice cream! We all scream for ice cream!

That model works really well, we love ours. It doesn't get used nearly enough from my daughter's and my perspective though. My wife is the ice cream maker in the family...

-jim

i used to own the tojiro DP steak knives, same steel and all. Good knives for home use.

Well done Sir knight!! :D

It was my first time hosting Thanksgiving, so I decided to mark the occasion with a new Miyabi 9 1/2" Slicer. It's a fantastic knife and I'm looking forward to many years with it.

$miyabi.jpg

Legion

Staff member

4.5L cast iron casserole dish, courtesy of Aldi. I'm very impressed with their kitchen stuff, always good quality for the price.

It's pretty big, you could fit a whole chook in there no worries. I have no idea what I am going to cook in it, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Oh, and I just went onto Le Creuset's Australian site. Their equivalent pots RRP is $519. This one cost me... $25. I love Aldi.

Last edited:
David being able to pop that bad boy into the oven after some pan roasting on top of the stove opens a whole new component to your toolbox. LaC makes a stainless knob for the top as well but the rubber one is good to 475 (I think?)

Went back and picked up a trivet and a small pot to match the one I bought earlier.

Those are great. I have set of 4 small ceramic pots that I use for individual servings of macaroni and cheese, potatoes au gratin, French Onion soup among other things.

I like that trivet and the big pot is very versatile.

I picked up a Victorinox 8" Chef the other day off of amazon and am waiting for a chance to use it! I am not sure if I am wild about the handle but I am sure that I will get used to it. With all of the great reviews I am sure that I will love it!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I got this end grain cutting board. Made from recycled North American Oregon, roof trusses from a demolished hospital.

$cutting board.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A splash of warm water, dry it on your sleeve, and you'll be fine. :lol:

In general, how do you guys sanitize your cutting boards? I constantly use soap and hot water every time I use it, and occasionally give it a dip in a bleach solution.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

In general, how do you guys sanitize your cutting boards? I constantly use soap and hot water every time I use it, and occasionally give it a dip in a bleach solution.
...so not spit and polish LOL.

I just use hot soapy water with my board.

guess you can view it that way, but I think the roof trusses will be ok.

No doubt. Just for grins :wink2:

Mostly same. Occasionally a wipe down with small bit of vinegar.

I keep an Epicurean around for raw meat. That thing I can just toss in the dishwasher set to Sanitize ;)

But then, the last meat I cooked was Turkey when we had the kids over for Thanksgiving.

Ken

Got a sweet set of BBQ tongs from my in-laws. Stainless, very sturdy and locking.

Simple design and look, but built like a tank.

$em343s3.jpg

also a Chinese Cleaver for BBQing. So I don't have to grab or use our kitchen one the odd time.

It's got great heft and a surprisingly sharp edge on it. Will likely work for trimming up steaks and chopping up meat for skewers too.

one solid piece, weights a 1lb, also from Lee Valley.

$45k2201s2.jpg

and last, a grill surface thermometer. I use on on my smoker for fun and this will will probably see duty on my Baby-Q when camping as it does not have one built in.

$FT125s2.jpg

Last edited:
This month's been pretty good.

For my ten-year anniversary at work, I selected a Le Creuset 5.5-qt round French (Dutch) Oven.

Santa also dropped off a 10-piece stainless steel cookware set from Cuisinart, so I can replace the 15-year-old non-stick set.

I took a tip from someone named Jim and scrub mine down with a warm washcloth and kosher salt.

I bought this for my son for Christmas,

Attachments

• $tmp_20131226_112311-426598941.jpg
    $tmp_20131226_112311-426598941.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom