What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

I finally bit the bullet and Hobarted Up. K5SS in mint quality. This really seems like it was a wedding gift that was used a couple of times for cookie dough and then put away for thirty years.

$KGrHqZHJCQENnrcV-oBPztj8Q2P60_57.jpg
$KGrHqVHJE4E-meDg1hBPztkZ58s60_57.jpg
$KGrHqQOKigE6YVVoDF8BPztjnWb-g60_57.jpg

Those are some amazing looking Griswolds, Talal. From the pics, they look almost mint quality. My only Griswold, so far, is a user grade slant/erie #7. I'm amazed at how it performs relative to the new stuff: all the benefits of cast iron with heat conductivity and responsiveness approaching All-Clad levels. I'd like to get a mix of pre-Griswold ERIE, slant/erie, slant EPU and large block logos and see how they differ.

thank you for your kind words chris. I do agree with your comments, performance wise cast iron cant be beat. I think the difference will be totally dependant on the actual pan itself, its condition etc.. Luckily my source is kind enough to really hunt down the ones with mirror like finishes in the interior for me !

I havent used my Erie yet, will do so this week... im really looking forward to it. However my #5 i LOVE and is my new morning egg pan!

pS: check out some of the black iron pieces , they are BEATIFUL! i almost broke down and bought a set recently (#3 with lid)

Just got my new set of Analon pans in and placed an order for a couple new knives. Suisin INOX Western 240 Gyuto and 150 Petty. This will be my first japanese knives.

I tore it down and repainted it Shawn. The only thing I changed was the power cord and the Bolts that hold it together. And the grease of course.

I got a new jelly roll pan last night! Broke it in with some chicken fingers for the kids :(
Will be roasting up a few pounds of veggies tomorrow though

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The oven that came with the house that I've hated for 12 years, mostly due to it not being self cleaning, finally karked it Picked up a nice KitchenAid.
$d5100 June 30 12 032.jpg

Nice Mike! Whats the first new meal?

Chris I would love to do something like that- but if I did it would end up looking like this-

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Jim,

As I was connecting the power lying on my back in the drawer space with my dog supervising the operation I hear from the living room . . . "Mike, can we have some biscuits and coffee?" So we had buttered ship's biscuits using the recipe from the Joy of Cooking with smooched up fresh blue and blackberries. The oven smoked a fair bit at first, delaying the process by about an hour and setting off the fire alarm 3 times. Ha. This was around 2PM after having Chicken and Pork souvlaki on the BBQ and various cold salads from the market for lunch. A great start to the Canada Day long weekend.

Two Opinel stainless paring knives and one 20cm Chef's Knife. Had never seen any reviews of the chef's knife, so decided to pick one up.

First impressions were that none of them, including the paring knives, were very sharp at all right out of the box. I reprofiled the chef's knife to be just a little under 15 degrees each side or so, then a few minutes on the Norton 4K/8K and a pasted strop. She's hair-whittling sharp now.

As for kitchen duty, I'd say she did OK. Pretty blade heavy and imbalanced, though. This is definitely not THE chef's knife I planned on buying in another thread here, just a curiosity. I doubt this one will become a go-to, but it will still be around as a large utility knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great. I've been surfing Ebay and Amazon for a Hobart.

Keep at it, Shawn. There seems to be a pretty good procession of Hobarts coming across the bay. My one suggestion is watch what you pay on one hand, but don't look too hard for the magic bargain. I did on my first buy ($14+ shipping) for a K45 with no bowl or attachments, and it clunked along for about three minutes before shutting down--even working, a bowl and three standard attachments were still going to add another hundred to my cost. I resold it as non-working and for parts only for $9, and ended up losing almost $30. After that, I waited for the right "buy it now" with a "make offer option" and jumped when it came along. It was no steal, but the way I figure it, I paid half what the cheapest "assembled" in America current model goes for and received an almost mint K5SS, which in and of itself, makes it a great bargain.

I could only add to Chris's advice is do a mis-spelt check on Ebay- my was a "Hobert mixerer" so I did not have a lot of competition bidding.

Top Bottom