What's new

jemico russian strop question

i had been using a jemico red russian/linen strop for a short time when i picked up an old red imp from a barber that cut my hair as a kid. i did some reading here and treated it with neatsfoot oil which worked great. the problem--i applied red dovo paste to the russian leather and it made it worse rather than better. for me at least, i had better luck with the russian strop before i pasted it than the the old red imp. i have gotten most of the red paste off, i wonder what you guys thoughts would be on using the neatsfoot oil on the russian leather rather than the yellow dovo paste. i had previously tried the yellow paste on the red imp, but it didnt seem to penetrate and do much for the slick finish on it and the neatsfoot worked well. being a more "unfinished" kind of leather, should i stick with the yellow paste on the russian rather than the neatsfoot oil?

Last edited:
I am not sure whether you should use coarse pastes on a hanging strop. Hanging strops are never as flat as hones or bench strops and tend to cause uneven wear. If it is slightly cupped as well you might get more of a smile or even a frown of the edge as well.

If you want to use coarse pastes use a bench strop. My 2 cts.

Top Bottom