What's new

TOBs Mr Taylor - TH Grafton

I've tried TOBs Mr Taylor shaving cream for the first time recently and like it. So much so that I'm thinking of investing in some of the AS or cologne. However, in this review of the product Kevan says that the cologne is not a match to the cream, but that Truefit and Hill Grafton is a dead match. Can anyone confirm whether Mr Taylor cologne accurately matches the cream? Or that Kevan is correct - that Grafton is closer?

Hmmmm....I have a bottle of Grafton shower gel in my closet. I just dug it out and gave it a sniff....and it does smell similar to Mr. Taylor's cream. I assume these companies have proprietary formulas for the scents they market, and guard against knock-offs. You'd think that makers of these types of products would strive for uniqueness, rather than to mimic a competitor's scent. Of course, what to my untrained nose seems similar, may be different to someone with a well-educated schnozola!

Yes. I suppose you're right - it does come down to the individual's sense of smell in the end (ymmv, as they say). I guess samples is they way to go here, before investing in the full blown products.

I have Mr Taylor shaving cream and cologne. I think they aren't EXACTLY the same smell but they match beautifully! And they definitely smell like they're meant to go together.

I *assume* that a range of products all bearing the same name (ie: Grafton shave cream, a/s, cologne, etc) all contain the exact same scent in different concentrations. Maybe the other ingredients in a given product affect the scent.

Well, a friend is sending me a decant of Mr Taylor cologne, so I'll soon be able to compare the fragrance with that of the soap. Sure hope it's the same!

Be sure to post your thoughts on this. With all the stuff I've tried, I have yet to sample *any* colognes from the "Three T's".

I have Mr Taylor shaving cream and cologne. I think they aren't EXACTLY the same smell but they match beautifully! And they definitely smell like they're meant to go together.

+1 on this. I have both as well and it's my favorite scent out of anything that I have ever used.

I've tried TOBs Mr Taylor shaving cream for the first time recently and like it. So much so that I'm thinking of investing in some of the AS or cologne. However, in this review of the product Kevan says that the cologne is not a match to the cream, but that Truefit and Hill Grafton is a dead match. Can anyone confirm whether Mr Taylor cologne accurately matches the cream? Or that Kevan is correct - that Grafton is closer?

I've used both, and the cologne is NOT a match of the cream, that's true. I love the cream, but not fond of the cologne on its own.

I've used both, and the cologne is NOT a match of the cream, that's true. I love the cream, but not fond of the cologne on its own.

I have to disagree with this one. I really think they go well together and compliment each other nicely. Also, I have a friend, a younger girl, who only likes the more aquatic smells (actually, she likes my T&H 1805 and TOBS St James), but this is one of the only more "mature" smells she likes. In my opinion, it's a very versatile and likable scent. Great cologne, especially considering the price when compared to most other brands touted around here :biggrin:

I like the Grafton better than the Mr. Taylor cologne

I have both and have to agree. To my untrained nose the Mr. Taylor and Grafton both smell "clean" and "Barbershop", but the Grafton is somehow drier and more refined. Kind of a "wet" clean vs. a "dry" clean, if that makes any sense. :/

Also, to answer the OP's question, I find that the Grafton EDC is an exact match to both the ASB and the cream, whereas the Mr. Taylor products are similar and complimentary.

/$.02

The Mr. Taylor scents (I use the cream, talc, and cologne, are designed to complement one another. The talc smells like the cream (which I still maintain is about a 90% match with T&H Grafton cologne), but the Mr. Taylor cologne smells different.

It's great stuff. It's still my favorite. But it's not the scent of the cream.

Having now had the chance to compare the fragrances of Mr Taylor cologne and Truefitt & Hill Grafton to the scent of TOBs Mr Taylor shaving cream, my verdict is that Mr Taylor cologne most closely matches that of the cream. Though Grafton does complement that cream superbly! However, both fragrances are quite distinct. YMMV etc.

If I had to choose only one of the two scents, it would have to be the Grafton.

Top Bottom