What's new

What is th minimum needed to get started?

Hi, I've been interested in straight razors for a long time, but the price alone for a whole setup kept me from investing.

I just found out that my knife sharpening stones I picked up at an estate sale a few years ago are razor hones. Two are marked Swaty and the 3rd is a dual-grit "Ezy Edge Hone" by Norton.

Is this sufficient if I just pick up a razor or do I still need a strop and paste, etcetera?

Thank you.

Hi, I've been interested in straight razors for a long time, but the price alone for a whole setup kept me from investing.

I just found out that my knife sharpening stones I picked up at an estate sale a few years ago are razor hones. Two are marked Swaty and the 3rd is a dual-grit "Ezy Edge Hone" by Norton.

Is this sufficient if I just pick up a razor or do I still need a strop and paste, etcetera?

Thank you.

You don't need the hones right away. Get a "shave ready" razor from reputable source. The hones will come in handy in the future. At that point be sure to understand what "lapping" is before using the hones.

To get started:

1. Shave ready razor.
  2. Hanging Strop and optional paste. Depending on the strop you get there may be a surface appropriate for some 0.5 micron CrO2. Discuss with whoever you get the strop from.
  3. The usual brush, soap, whatever else you like.
  4. Education. Read up on this!

You don't need the hones right away. Get a "shave ready" razor from reputable source. The hones will come in handy in the future. At that point be sure to understand what "lapping" is before using the hones.

To get started:

1. Shave ready razor.
  2. Hanging Strop and optional paste. Depending on the strop you get there may be a surface appropriate for some 0.5 micron CrO2. Discuss with whoever you get the strop from.
  3. The usual brush, soap, whatever else you like.
  4. Education. Read up on this!

+1

This doesn't have to be all that expensive. You can easily get a strop and a shave ready straight for 50-60 buck.

Gentlemen,

Robert Paulsen's suggestions are wise for starting out on a straight razor. I agree with everything he says, including the study requirement for the art of straight razor shaving.

I use a straight as well as double edge, and each requires a good eye and a steady hand. I "like" double edge shaving. I "love" straight razor shaving.

I strop before a shave, of course. For honing a straight razor, I turn to the shave master Lynn Abrams at Straight Razor Designs (straightrazordesigns.com). He does a superior job honing, a world better than I ever could, and the price is right.

Good luck.

Regards,

Obelit

All you really need is a $50 razor from the BST. If you can't find any, I can find you one from my pile of razors. And a piece of leather. A leather belt works. You can also use newspaper, but a belt works better. Scrap leather works too if you can get some.

A better option is a real strop. Its just nicer and worth the money IMHO.

Top Bottom