What's new

Torn tendons

I have suffered pain in my shoulder for a while now and after an X-ray turned up negative I received a cortisone shot. It did nothing I had a second shot it helped a little. My results are back from MRI and I have 2 tendons torn in my shoulder. Has anyone suffered from torn tendons? Did it get better or did you have surgery? I want to avoid surgery. I told the doctor I would come back in if pain became intolerable again. Any advice would be appreciated.

That all depends on the severity of the tears, and how much rest and recovery time they are getting. Complete separation almost always means surgery. You will need to let them rest as much as you can. Ice and heat can be helpful as well.

Personally suffered? No, but I've know a few people that have torn tendons before. Whether or not you'll need surgery really depends on the extent of the tear. If it's minor, it should heal up fine on its own. The key is too make sure to let the injury rest and heal as much as possible. No overly strenuous activities, that sort of thing. If it doesn't heal within the next few weeks, then I would probably get in touch with your doctor again and discuss whether or not surgery is the next course of action. Either way, just take it easy Wendy and get better soon.

I have a 1 , 3, and 7 year old who refuse to leave me alone. I am right handed and naturally it is my right shoulder. I do try to rest it while sleeping but it seems to bother me then too. :mad:

Your 1 and 3 year-old are too young, but your oldest is old enough to have the situation explained, that mommy is hurt and needs some help. You aren't going to recover without resting the injured parts. It's going to either get worse or never go away. I had my right arm in a sling for a long while. I learned a lot of things left-handed.

I torn a couple tendons in my thumb playing football. Sadly, the damage was so bad they could never repair them and my only option was to get the joint fused.

From what you are desribing, I think my dad had the same issue in his shoulder. He needed surgery. From what I know I really think you'll need surgery as well. Good luck.

Your 1 and 3 year-old are too young, but your oldest is old enough to have the situation explained, that mommy is hurt and needs some help. You aren't going to recover without resting the injured parts. It's going to either get worse or never go away. I had my right arm in a sling for a long while. I learned a lot of things left-handed.

I'm happy you suggested that Kratos, I think a sling would really help. Even though they won't really understand, Sara and Sadie will see that you have a 'boo-boo' and they know what that is. Anything is worth a try to avoid surgery or at the very least have less pain if possible.
Sue

I'm happy you suggested that Kratos, I think a sling would really help. Even though they won't really understand, Sara and Sadie will see that you have a 'boo-boo' and they know what that is. Anything is worth a try to avoid surgery or at the very least have less pain if possible.
Sue

That's a good point, Sue. The younger two might not fully realize what's really wrong, but they'll most likely cut her some slack when they see that mommy has a boo-boo. A sling might just be the thing that diffuses any problems stemming from your kids needing constant attention, Wendy.

With that said, if you're in enough pain where it's affecting your sleep, then Tim might be right, Wendy. You may need surgery. I certainly hope that's not the case, but it may be the only option.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I feel your pain .. I had shoulder surgery in March - the labrum was torn off the bone, rotator "only" partially torn, bone chips floating in the joint, and some arthritic spurs needed ground off .. still in PT but released last week to swing a golf club. I had gone 2 years with cortisone shots, PT etc & finally had it done. The Lightening Bolts are gone, but Doc says a year total to get back to normal (I am an old dude though).

I have a super sling that is quite the get up, will send it on if you want. It is called the Donjoy Ultraslinger ... PM if you could use it, it is right handed and adjustable.

I had shoulder surgery 5 years ago for a partially (!) torn rotator cuff and a Bankart repair for excessive looseness in the joint. I had tried living with it for a couple of years, but rest and slings and a total abstinence from exercise :)frown:) did little to help.

It was better than before within several weeks of surgery, but it has only toughened up this year to the point that I can ride my bike without inflaming it for a few weeks whenever I hit a pothole.

I hope your situation is less severe and can be treated with rest and risk avoidance.

Roger

G

gone down south

Duuuuuuuude....... don't be telling me these things right now. I'm going for an X-ray tomorrow a.m. for, yup, a mysterious and tenacious shoulder pain. I haven't worked out, swing a golf club or hockey stick, done anything for a couple months, it's driving me crazy. I was all psyched for a quick cortisone shot and back to the driving range and now you have me imagining the worst!

Hi Wendy.

I tore my right rotator cuff in two places, taking a tree down in my backyard, about ten years ago. My sister worked for a sports medicine doctor(orthopedic surgeon), so I went to see him. He sent me for an MRI. Looking at the resulting letter from the technician, you would think my arm should be in a box on the floor. The diagnosis sounded dreadful. One tear was 'significant', the other, 'partial'. The doctor said I needed surgery right away, but I couldn't afford the time off work, so I waited. About a year later, I quit noticing the pain, talked to a physical therapist about strengthening the area, and have had zero problems with mobility or strength.

I later found out my doctor had two girls in college, maybe he needed the money. :wink: I don't know if you will heal without surgery, but I would at least get a second opinion. I'm not trying to make light of the symptoms, I was in PAIN for a couple of months. Sleeping was difficult, I tend to sleep on my right side, rolling onto that shoulder woke me up, every time.

Good luck,

Larry

Duuuuuuuude....... don't be telling me these things right now. I'm going for an X-ray tomorrow a.m. for, yup, a mysterious and tenacious shoulder pain. I haven't worked out, swing a golf club or hockey stick, done anything for a couple months, it's driving me crazy. I was all psyched for a quick cortisone shot and back to the driving range and now you have me imagining the worst!

If you can easily swing an MRI, go for that. X-rays generally won't show much muscle damage. Pain management without knowing the cause is what leads to something curable with a little therapy becoming a debilitating or constant nagging injury. As LarryT said, a second opinion is invaluable.

I am trying the left handed carrying and lifting and WOW does it feel weird. My husband is gone all day and night with work and school. I am praying he finishes here within the year so I am not Mom and Dad.

Not sure which tendons are torn, Wendy, but ultimately it may be better to have surgery sooner rather than later, especially if your daily life is not conducive to letting it heal.

Not sure which tendons are torn, Wendy, but ultimately it may be better to have surgery sooner rather than later, especially if your daily life is not conducive to letting it heal.

Wendy,
+1, Orthopedic and neuro surgery is really advanced these days; and there are many excellent hospitals in the country that specialize in these types of surgery.
Do a bit of investigation and talk to surgeons and make the choice that work best for you. In Boston we have great medical facilities and I'm glad I went that route.
Best

Wendy, sorry to hear about this. Mrs. Mysterion went through a similar injury a few years ago, ultimately requiring surgery. However, she went through months of physical therapy before making the decision to cut, and she'd do it again, if the situation arose. Same thing with my knee--eventually, I did need surgery,but I tried PT first. We both went into surgery knowing that we had pursued every non-invasive option. Everyone has personal preferences here, and everyone has a different threshold for the hassle of PT, but orthopedic surgery is serious, and there are no guarantees, no matter what a surgeon tells you. And surgery isn't a magic bullet--you'll still need time to recover,and PT to get back to full function. (Mrs. M confirms that the rehab post-surgery was miserable, even for a dedicated gym-rat.)

Obviously, some injuries will never heal without timely intervention. Many, many times, these routine and comparatively minor procedures are quick, effective, and pretty low impact. But it's still surgery, and it's still your body, not a misbehaving machine that can be fixed by bolting in a replacement part. Ultimately, the decision is yours, and shouldn't be made lightly.

Can you add any details about the cause and severity? (Did you do this while doing one-handed chinups, -- like me, you know, ahem :whistling: -- for instance)

The surgery now is much better than even ten years ago, (trust me on this, I know), minimally invasive. The question is what the level of intrusion would need to be.

Get the surgery if it's available. You will come to regret not doing it, a few years down the road.

Regards,

- John

I am starting to think that may be the way to go since I am not be able to rest it.

Top Bottom