What's new

Need help with dovo shavette

Hello, I've extracted the following image from Dovo's catalogue:
proxy.php

My questions are:

What are the characteristics of each shavette?
Are some models made in aluminium and other models in stainless steel?
Are some models heavier than the others?
Are some models more solid than others?

I also have doubts about the blade holders, I understand one is for regular (snapped in half) DE blades. The other one is for the blades that look like two DE blades joined together, but what is the third holder for?

Thanks to all.

My Shavette has an aluminum cover. I think the blade holder part is stainless. I don't think there's much difference in weight. I think it's just a question of whether you want the look of brushed aluminum or shiny stainless.

I have the red blade holder which uses half a DE. I bought it so I could use blades I could find anywhere. The black holder, as you guessed, is for a double length DE blade. The Green holder holds a rigid backed single edge blade--the same one the Fromm razor/hair shaper uses. I had a Fromm razor for a while and actually found these blades fairly inexpensive at Sally Beauty Supply.

Good luck.

I have the DOVO Shavette with the Stainless Steel handle, and both, the red and the black holders.
I like the black holder (201 004) with the DOVO blades (201 014), great combination.
I'm a newbie and I get better shaves with the shavette than with my str8s, I hope this changes as my technique improves.

My Shavette has an aluminum cover. I think the blade holder part is stainless. I don't think there's much difference in weight. I think it's just a question of whether you want the look of brushed aluminum or shiny stainless.

I have the red blade holder which uses half a DE. I bought it so I could use blades I could find anywhere. The black holder, as you guessed, is for a double length DE blade. The Green holder holds a rigid backed single edge blade--the same one the Fromm razor/hair shaper uses. I had a Fromm razor for a while and actually found these blades fairly inexpensive at Sally Beauty Supply.

Good luck.

So, as I understand, the two razors on the top (The ones that are "all metal"), both have steel blade holders, but one has an aluminium handle and the other one a steel handle ,right? Or are the blade holders made from different materials in each case? Can someone clear this, please?

By the way does anyone know where I can order the dovo shavette in Europe? I've found a lot of german webpages that sell them, but sadly I don't speak german, so I don't understand a thing. It's just to cut down a bit on shipping charges and arrival time.

Your search for the perfect shave goes on...!?!:rolleyes:

Have you already tried to contact the Dovo Spanish Distributor ?!

[email protected]

Ah, as always lamina your help is invaluable. I haven't tried contacting the Spanish distributor, but I'm sending him an email right now. My future project is to go into straights, but it's going to take so long to gather up the money (hones,strops, razors, etc..) that my short-term plan is to master first the feather AC and the Dovo shavette for at least 8 months, in that time I will save money and improve my technique with shavettes.

So, as I understand, the two razors on the top (The ones that are "all metal"), both have steel blade holders, but one has an aluminium handle and the other one a steel handle ,right? Or are the blade holders made from different materials in each case? Can someone clear this, please?

I believe all the razors are made from identical materials. The only difference is the finish. Even the black and tortoise shell are applied finishes.

I only have the DE blade holder, but I believe all of the blade holders are made from the same flexible plastic.

I believe all the razors are made from identical materials. The only difference is the finish. Even the black and tortoise shell are applied finishes.

I only have the DE blade holder, but I believe all of the blade holders are made from the same flexible plastic.

I've just recieved an email from DOVO answering my doubts (I forgot to mention in my post that there's also a Dovo shavette with a golden blade holder, which doesn't figure in the catalogue). I asked about all of this to Dovo and they answered me the following:

"The golden one is a discontinued item, with some retailers there are some left in their warehouse obviously. The gold ones were the same material as our # 201081, though, so this would be an alternative. As for being more durable, I would recommend # 201006 which is completely made of stainless still (both the top and the handle)."

Now my only quest is to find an online shop, preferably in the US which has the 201006. The reason is because strangely ordering things from the U.S due to the wonderful euro-dollar exchange rate ends up being cheaper (including the shipping) than buying stuff directly in Spain.

At the end I've gone the cheap way and bought the one with the black handle which was the only one I could find locally. It's not bad. It's too light for my taste though. It comes with a dovo shavette blade, which is milder than derby's or feather's. I tried it yesterday and it took me for ages to shave, I suppose I'll end up getting the hang of it. I like the grip of the shavette, it's something that doesn't matter very much when you use your good hand (I write with my right hand), but it's very useful when you use your "bad" hand, where you have less coordination and force. I should have gotten the stainless steel model. Well, I'll probably end up buying it anyway, I can't resist the temptation.

Congrats on your new Dovo Shavette. Try using both hands, it's a little difficult at the begining but with time it'll be better. I use de Dovo blades and I get great shaves. Good luck

Try using both hands, it's a little difficult at the begining but with time it'll be better.

I used my new shavette for the first time today. Doing the neck with my left hand was probably the scariest thing ive ever done.
Fantastic shave though.

I used my new shavette for the first time today. Doing the neck with my left hand was probably the scariest thing ive ever done.
Fantastic shave though.

When I tried it yersteday, I was a bit scared so I went really slow, it took me forever to shave, around 30 minutes just going WTG (I had quite a lot of beard though, I hadn't shaved in 4 days). I found the merkur blades to be mild, which was good because even though they didn't cut as much as a feather or a derby, and I had to do extra passes, they where very forgiving and I didn't cut or nick myself at all. I did strangely cut my finger though, when I was cleaning the razor on a towel while I was looking somewhere else. Blood came out like a geiser, It wasn't till I found a bandaid, that I could manage to stop my finger from bleeding, I made a huge mess. The shave actually was not bad at all for a first attempt. It was interesting though. My main goal is to be able to master in two years from now all the possible shave tools: DE's fixed and adjustable, dovo shavette, feather AC, and regular straights (the peak of the mountain). I'm actually more into that than trying 300 models of DE's. This is also because I'm still a student so if I go to class with my face full of cuts and irritated it's not a great deal, but once I start working I suppose it would be a problem. So I want to take that opportunity to learn and master all the shave tools (specially the straights) before I start working.

My biggest problem right now is shaving the moustache area, even if I move my nose with my finger, razors won't fit there properly so I have to use angles close to 90 degrees which ends up in irritation. It's the only thing I miss from the Mach 3, it's cartridge head is very small in comparison to DE's so it fits very well in that area. Also I can't go ATG with my HD, that's why I want to try shavettes or DE adjustables (just ordered a mergress, can't wait to try it out) , I find the HD just to agressive to go ATG.

Pete,

Have you tried injectors yet? The smaller heads on those would probably make it easier to get under your nose.

I've only put in a handful of shaves with my injector, and it's already producing some shaves that are quite close under the nose (though I have yet to master the chin with any razor). Definitely worth trying.

Pete,

Have you tried injectors yet? The smaller heads on those would probably make it easier to get under your nose.

I've only put in a handful of shaves with my injector, and it's already producing some shaves that are quite close under the nose (though I have yet to master the chin with any razor). Definitely worth trying.

No, I've never tried injectors, as I've heard it's the third alternative to Mach3 type razors and DE's right? Are those called "schick injectors"?. Strangely there's a shop near my house that always sells shick injector blades, but doesn't sell the razor itself, I think the blades are more expensive than DE blades, so I have my doubts if it's worth it. Were can one buy a schick injector razor?

Can you please send me the german links where you find the dovo's? Where did you find yours?
If you still want to buy the aluminium one,I would be happy to:
-buy the actual one from you
-help you translating the german sites.
Of course I help with the translation when you don't sell yours too :D

Can you please send me the german links where you find the dovo's? Where did you find yours?
If you still want to buy the aluminium one,I would be happy to:
-buy the actual one from you
-help you translating the german sites.
Of course I help with the translation when you don't sell yours too :D

Hello,

Well, I've actually just ordered a Dovo stainless steel shavette from classicshaving.com (model 201006) . The one I already have is the one with the black handle on the catalogue's photo at the beginning of this thread (model 201081), I bought it in a shop at Madrid to feed my unstoppable SAD (shavettes acquisition disorder). I'm actually happy with it, my only complaint is that I find it too light, and hence not so similar to an actual straight razor. I would sell it to you gladly (it only has 3 days and one shave of use), but if you prefer, you can buy it new at:

1) http://www.scharferladen.de/shop/ I actually contacted this shop, and they where o.k with selling to the rest of Europe, they told me I would need to pay through bank transfer (and should pay 10 euros for shipping from Germany to Spain, but maybe from Germany to France it's cheaper) even though maybe if you talk to them, they will let you pay using credit card or paypal. I haven't actually bought from them because they didn't seem to speak very much English and I thought that with any minor complication it would be quite a problem trying to comunicate (I don't speak a word of German), so I bought at classicshaving instead.

2) http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html Excellent American shop which actually has very reasonable prices, taking into consideration our fabulous Euro-Dollar exchange rate (only fabulous for Europeans of course)

3)http://www.dovo.com/_english/e/seiten/handel.html Here you can find all official Dovo retailers, online and offline. You have 3 or 4 in France, maybe you could try contacting them before doing anything else.

My personal pointer is to look also at classicshaving (if you're not in a hurry), in my case the Shavette has been much cheaper there than if I had bought it in the German shop.

Hope it helped!

Thanks you for the links! My first idea was classicshaving, but I wanted to llok in Europe. Faster, and less problems with customs.
I hoped you had found some great price in Germany... gonna take a look, thank you!

Top Bottom