What's new

concave grind..good..bad???

Hi

I am new to the straight razor world, so I need some help. I have oredred a razor made to me, but I am also looking at a vintage one:lol:..they are soooooooo nice! But, when it comes to the grind I need some help. What is the concave grind like?
I am not able to find any new razors made with it, so I guess it was used in the golden age for straight razor´s.

Have a good day

Vegard_dino

I don't get your question. Any straight razor that is hollow ground is ground to some degree in a concave manner, nearly almost always on both sides of the blade. Please elaborate on your question.

Chris L

I am not able to find any new razors made with it, so I guess it was used in the golden age for straight razor´s.

:001_huh: It is difficult to find any razor made in the last 170 yrs that *isn't* concave ground... And most razors made in the last 120 yrs or so use some variation on the "Hamburg grind" which is a double-concave grind.

As to the other part of your question, there is such a wide variation in the concave grinds that about the only thing they have in common is the concavity. Some concave ground razors are as heavy and stiff as wedges, others are as light and flexible as paper.

Just had a thought - I've also seen "concave ground" used to describe the grind used on the pseudo-framebacks; maybe that's what you're talking about? Something like this? If so, they're still being made in small quantities; Heribert Wacker makes them, as does Robert Williams, and I suspect that most of the custom guys would be willing to make one for you. But none of the big commercial outfits make them anymore - they're not really very popular, and the market is mostly served by the supply of vintage razors.

Hi..Thak you for the information. And, yes, the Wade and Butcher razor you had a link is what I had in mind. Sorry for my poor way of telling it in the question.

vegard_dino

Top Bottom