What's new

Silly blade question

So, there are numbers on my Derby blades. 1 and 2 on one side, 3 and 4 on the other. Now, I can understand the numbers (they are definitely there so you don't confuse what side of your DE you're using, etc.) but why the 3-4? Does this mean that once you've used up both sides of your blade, you can flip it, and it's sharp again, say due to different angle?

cheers

There have been previous discussions of this -- consensus seems to be that it has something to do with the manufacturing and quality control process. Generally,it is not beneficial to flip your blade. But it also does not matter whether you use it on side 1-2 or 3-4.

Swedish Gillettes are also numbered 1-4. As for a Mfg. I don't know, the silk screen is one of the last things done to the blade so those numbers aren't there thru the vast majority of the manufacturing.

Gentlemen, we forget that the blades are also used for a variety of other purposes, not just for wetshaving. Maybe the peculiar numbering is done for such other purposes.

For old school seamstresses, shoe/leathersmiths? It's possible.

Swedish Gillettes are also numbered 1-4. As for a Mfg. I don't know, the silk screen is one of the last things done to the blade so those numbers aren't there thru the vast majority of the manufacturing.

I'm not sold on the manufacturing logic either.

hereandnow has a point, i´ve seen paint scrapers and such that us DE Blades,

a paint scraper is basicly a handle with a clip for a DE blade to remove paint stains from glass or ceramic with a reduced probability of scratching

Hmm, interesting theories! I think the fact that there's no conclusive answer just yet adds to the mysterious appeal... like, it makes me want to call Derby and ask (and sound like a tool for doing so haha).

I just got a reply from Derby regarding the numbers and here it is.

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: Question Regarding your Blades

Hi,

Those numbers are all related to manufacturing process, nothing to do with the final user. Manufacturer uses those numbers during the production.

Regards,

Hi,

Those numbers are all related to manufacturing process, nothing to do with the final user. Manufacturer uses those numbers during the production.

Regards,

'Nuff said.

Hi,

Regards,

Can you believe it could be as simple as sending an email? Well that solves this recurring issue. Nicely done! :thumbup:

Top Bottom