What's new

Ebony scale care

Hello,

I just picked up a Dovo with ebony scales and I was wondering if there is any special care I must give them. Anything I need to do/not do with these scales?

Thanks,
Brent

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hello,

I just picked up a Dovo with ebony scales and I was wondering if there is any special care I must give them. Anything I need to do/not do with these scales?

Thanks,
Brent

Kinda obvious, but:

Don't boil them to sanitize! I'm not sure if the ebony is stabilized or just surface varnished/poly but don't soak them in water or other liquids. No real special care, maybe wax it one in a while?

I have a pair of ebony scales on my Revisor. I believe they are untreated (no protective coat). Just dry them thoroughly after every shave and let them sit and dry out for a good amount of time in a dry space before putting the razor away.

I leave all of my razors open on the counter for about an hour before storing them away. This will allow any stray moisture or water to evaporate before you close it up and trap it between the blade and the scales.

Anyways, my pair in about 9 months haven't needed any extra attention...wax or otherwise.

I have the Stainless DOVO with ebony scales. They don't appear to be sealed with plastic. I expect they would have no trouble with a splash of water. I have used cutlery with unfinished ebony handles which have been put through dishwashers for YEARS and it's fine.

However I must say I'm disappointed with the QC on this razor. In mine, the scales are significantly uneven, the blade closes off center, the label saying Ebenholz is not recessed, and the blade feels excessively loose. In my opinion it never should have left the factory that way.

I have the Stainless DOVO with ebony scales. They don't appear to be sealed with plastic. I expect they would have no trouble with a splash of water. I have used cutlery with unfinished ebony handles which have been put through dishwashers for YEARS and it's fine.

However I must say I'm disappointed with the QC on this razor. In mine, the scales are significantly uneven, the blade closes off center, the label saying Ebenholz is not recessed, and the blade feels excessively loose. In my opinion it never should have left the factory that way.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208596

^My thought on the same subject...

As for good ebony, you don't have to do much, it's one of the hardest & most naturally resistant woods in the world.
Some good oil & maybe wax will keep them fresh almost forever.
Boiled linseed or tung-oil is good choices or "Danish-Oil"

Thanks for the advice. The scales seem to line up fine and such. The only thing I did notice is when I was wiping off the scales it looked like a brown film on the towel. NewBlader, did you have this problem?

Thanks for the advice. The scales seem to line up fine and such. The only thing I did notice is when I was wiping off the scales it looked like a brown film on the towel. NewBlader, did you have this problem?

I would not worry about film. With time, that will disapate

Top Bottom