What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Today was a CAO 10th Anniversario Maduro and an H.Upmann Reserve Maduro. That CAO (released in '97) is so good I bought my second box of them in three days and may scarf up the last 5 boxes (10 per box) if I can find any room in my humidor. Kinda greedy, but I did give 5 to friends.

We visited the Cuban Cigar Factory in San Diego this weekend. Nice hand-rolled cigars. I love the Monterico (52 X 5.50). I also picked up a couple Vintage (aged a few years) Torpedoes (56 X 7.0). You can tell I love the fatties.

captp

This Friday, Feb. 4 is the only day I already have one of my smokes already planned. It's the 1 year anniversary of the passing of a great man, Colonel Al Baker, United States Army Retired. We'll all be gathering at the shop he started over 13 year ago and smoking one of his all time favorite cigars, the R&J 125th Anniversary double band, one of the all time great cigars, not available in about 10 years; it should just be hitting its prime. Maybe I'll take 2 of my last 4 or 5 of them. Now all I have to do is figure out where in my humidor it is.

captp

Glad I went looking for it. Found my box of Punch Double Maduro Double Coronas. Bought it a couple of years ago when it had been hiding at the bottom of one of the big humidors at my local shop. The owner said they had to be at least 3 years old then. They were covered in a perfect layer of bloom. One of my all time favorites. It's one of tomorrow's smokes.

I need to pick 3 Rockys I want boxes of. My local tobacco shop is having a Rocky promo in April and the rep said anyone who buys 3 boxes gets a Rocky humidor...like I need another humidor, but who am I to argue with a deal like that?

If you're asking for recommendations:

Vintage 1990
Olde World Reserve (corojo)
Decade

The Decades are a bit pricier (but soooo worth it). The Edge missile would be a good substitute, or the Olde World Reserve maduro.

And you, my friend, are a lucky man. That cigar shop sounds like a great place to do business with. The RP humidor is actually pretty nice. It's got a modern, brushed nickel look to it.

I'm trying to decide for later between a Montecristo No. 3, a Montecristo Rothchild 99' vintage platinum series, or a Drew Estates Java Latte...

Last edited:

captp

Vintage 1990
Decade

And you, my friend, are a lucky man. That cigar shop sounds like a great place to do business with. The RP humidor is actually pretty nice. It's got a modern, brushed nickel look to it.

:tongue_sm You have no idea. It might be the best little mom and pop (well mom, pop died a year ago). They keep finding boxes of stuff in the back room that has been lost forever. At a recent R&J promo they found a box of 007s (as in Bond, James Bond) from 2002 that are the same blend as the absolutely fantastic 125th Anniversary double band; just short of 100 sticks. The reps' eyes went wild when he saw them and tried to buy them all; he hadn't seen any of them in at least 5 years, and bought 30+ for himself and said he'd buy any the weren't sold at the promo (as if:laugh:). He paid full price for them.

At the CAO promo in October, they dug up 4 boxes of Extreme Maduro lanceros; they were "Gone in 60 seconds" (2 minutes actually). The rep got a box for himself and I got one for me...mmmm good. At least 7-8 years old. I just found 7 boxes (10 count) of the 10th aniversary maduro in the back, from 4-5 years or so ago, I think; I forget the shape name but they're a perfecto; bought 1 box Friday and another yesterday; I'm threatening all the regulars with scarfing them up.

The Rocky Vintage 1990, OWR (in maduro) and Decade are three I am seriously considering.

Last edited:
:tongue_sm You have no idea. It might be the best little mom and pop (well mom, pop died a year ago). They keep finding boxes of stuff in the back room that has been lost forever. At a recent R&J promo they found a box of 007s (as in Bond, James Bond) from 2002 that are the same blend as the absolutely fantastic 125th Anniversary double band; just short of 100 sticks. The reps' eyes went wild when he saw them and tried to buy them all; he hadn't seen any of them in at least 5 years, and bought 30+ for himself and said he'd buy any the weren't sold at the promo (as if:laugh:). He paid full price for them.

At the CAO promo in October, they dug up 4 boxes of Extreme Maduro lanceros; they were "Gone in 60 seconds" (2 minutes actually). The rep got a box for himself and I got one for me...mmmm good. At least 7-8 years old. I just found 7 boxes (10 count) of the 10th aniversary maduro in the back, from over 10 years or so ago, I think; I forget the shape name but they're a perfecto; bought 1 box Friday and another yesterday; I'm threatening all the regulars with scarfing them up.

The Rocky Vintage 1990, OWR (in maduro) and Decade are three I am seriously considering.

Wow. Awesome. That CAO 10th Anniversary was quite a cigar. I bought a couple boxes when they came out, long since up in smoke. I do still have 3 or 4 of the 70th "Anniversary", another limited run they put out for Cano's 70th birthday, I think around 2002. It's quite a bit milder (especially after all this time), but it's suuuuuper smoth.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Tonight I'm going to enjoy a Cuban 'La Flor de Cano Selectos' (a hand-made - short filler, mild Long Corona - 5.9in x 41 Ring Gauge - Factory Box Code DIC Dec 08), paired with a snifter of Hine Cognac. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"A cigar is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked it". Raul Julia

Attachments

• $cigar sign1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 105
  • $cigar.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 105
  • $cbj.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 105

captp

Today was a special day at the cigar shop. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the passing of the owner, one of the great men of the world, Col. Al Baker, U.S. Army. We all gathered to have a few drinks, toast the Colonel and smoke one of his favorite cigars, the 125th Anniversary R&J double band from 2001. Oh, my it was so good. I was luck enough to have 3 of them left (I think there are actually 2 more that I put in another spot in the humi. I'll come across them some day.

Before that was a Gurkha Dragon Fire. The guys at the shop bought about 20 of them and the beautiful solid black box they came in for me when I retired in June '09 They age sooooo well. Then a Perdomo Habano maduro Gran Pyramid (think that's what it is called), fast becoming one of my favorites in any size.

captp

Vintage 1990
Decade

Three Rocky humidors for the event arrived today. I don't think they're the one you describe (but that one sounds real purdy). Three different finishes; 1 for each of the cigars you mentioned, I think.

Another "Don G." / St. Maarten corona natural today. Man, I hope I can make them last until I'm able to restock. After some research today, I found out that the main tobacco is from the DR and the wrapper is CT shade.

Top Bottom