What's new

Question; Proper Drying of Brush

What is the best way to dry your brush after shaving? Is upside down in a stand best or is just setting it right side up on the counter just as good?

I use both methods and they seem to work equally well. Believe this is more of a preference thing than anything else.

I always inverted my brush in a stand, believing the water would drain downwards, but acquiring more brushes has made me rethink. The jury for and against seems to be open on this so I just rinse, dry in a towel, and sit the brush on it's base now. I'll know in a few months if this was the wrong decision!

David

I shower shave and when I'm done I rinse my brush shake out the excess water and leave it on the rack bristles up. Never had a problem.

The key isn't the position it's left in. The key is removing as much water as you can. The position then doesn't matter. if you put up a soaked brush then you might examine position.

U

Utopian

For a couple of decades I only used boar brushes and stored them bristles up. None lasted for a more than a few years. When I switched to storing them bristles down, they lasted much longer. I don't know if this was coincidental to random purchases of random quality brushes, or if it really mattered, but when I started using the more expensive badger brushes, I didn't take any chances and stored them bristles down.

Boar brushes invert to dry. Badger hair stand upright. Rinse through with warm water (not too hot), gently squeeze from base of knot upwards and then 'paint brush style' rub dry on a towel.

I have a thirty year old badger brush. After shaving, it has only been rinsed, shook, and then set on it's base to dry. The bristles still look new.

I've never down more than that to dry my brushes. I don't use a towel , or hair dryer, or any other methods. Simply not needed.

I have a thirty year old badger brush. After shaving, it has only been rinsed, shook, and then set on it's base to dry. The bristles still look new.

I've never down more than that to dry my brushes. I don't use a towel , or hair dryer, or any other methods. Simply not needed.

The suggestion of using a towel is something we as a family have always recommended over shaking the brush too much. Excessive shaking can (and the stress on 'can' not 'will') damage the base of the knot causing hair loss/filament damage.

I have never shaken a brush to dry it, neither has my father or grandfather before (or Great Uncle Alex before!). Brushes still going strong that are 30 years + to the good.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The suggestion of using a towel is something we as a family have always recommended over shaking the brush too much. Excessive shaking can (and the stress on 'can' not 'will') damage the base of the knot causing hair loss/filament damage.

I have never shaken a brush to dry it, neither has my father or grandfather before (or Great Uncle Alex before!). Brushes still going strong that are 30 years + to the good.

Some valuable info indeed. Thank you. :thumbup1:

I am only trying to offer advice from an 'insiders' point of view. I know that over the years there has been a lot of 'discussion' on how to dry shaving brushes. Some people think that manufacturers' advice is biased. Well yes of course it is to a certain extent but usually the advice given helps to prolong the life of the brush. This has surely got to be the manufacturer showing 'care' for the handcrafted 'beauty' he has created - we would give poor advice if we wanted people to change their brushes earlier than is actually necessary!! As you know I have Simpson brushes over 30 years old that I made myself or my family made. These brushes are from 'our time' so I would not dry my brushes in a way that is going to see them fall into 'disrepair' - these are 'family heirlooms' that hold great memories for me and are part of my family history and heritage. I want them around for as long as possible in their original state!

Gary,

I truely appreciate your contributions and find it amazing that we actually have a member of one of the great family names in our beloved group. Thanks again for everything!!!

Regards,

Justin

When I shake a brush dry I do it by holding it with my thumb and fingertips by the base of the knot with the handle tucked in my palm. That way when I flick my hand it isn't trying to pull the bristles from the handle (in fact it's doing the opposite!)

Similarly when I squeeze the brush with the towel I let go of the handle to avoid any pulling.

I do the 'paint strokes' on the towel thing too. Doing it slowly seems effective, gives capiliary action a chance to pull water out.

Gary,

I truely appreciate your contributions and find it amazing that we actually have a member of one of the great family names in our beloved group. Thanks again for everything!!!

Regards,

Justin

Hi Justin

No worries! Its actually a privilege to be able to help out on here. Since giving up the business in 1990 its been a long pilgrimage out in the shaving wilderness! I have too much information passed down through the family to share! Seeing the passion you guys have for Simpsons it would be wrong for me to just 'sit on my hands' and not pass on 'insider knowledge'!

Gary

I can tell you what not to do...is aggressively mash it into a towel every day for 5 years. How do I know? Take a look at what's left of my Vulfix 377
proxy.php

That's a hole in the middle where the meat of the brush used to me. I didn't realize how bad it was until I purchased a new Simpsons brush last week and compared.

With Gary's advice I've certainly changed my ways - now just a nice squeeze, then invert on its base - no more towels for me.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I can tell you what not to do...is aggressively mash it into a towel every day for 5 years. How do I know? Take a look at what's left of my Vulfix 377
proxy.php

That's a hole in the middle where the meat of the brush used to me. I didn't realize how bad it was until I purchased a new Simpsons brush last week and compared.

With Gary's advice I've certainly changed my ways - now just a nice squeeze, then invert on its base - no more towels for me.

Whoa! I have been mashing my brush in circular motions into a towel myself. Thanks for that tidbit of info!!!!

I'm a total noob but I thought I'd pass this on for those who want to add a finishing touch to their brush maintenance.

After gently shaking out excess water, gently painting against a towel, and hanging bristles down over night, squeeze the bristled back together and comb out any tangles.

Got this from Shaving101.com.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Great advice here.

Hang it or stand it, just personal preference.
It can be as simple as shake and set or as complex as you like (combing and setting) but up or down doesn't matter.

Top Bottom