What's new

Whats Brewing~ 2010

Some fantastic Tolima-area Columbia roasted on Friday. Tolima coffees have been my find of the year; unbelievably good stuff. There have been several of these excellent Columbia microlots from Sweet Marias this year.

Some fantastic Tolima-area Columbia roasted on Friday. Tolima coffees have been my find of the year; unbelievably good stuff. There have been several of these excellent Columbia microlots from Sweet Marias this year.

Agreed! I didn't think I was a fan of Central and South American coffees...until I began 1) home roasting, and 2) found the Columbian and Costa Rican offerings at Sweet Marias.

This morning was a bit hectic, so I didn't get to sample the Peruvian beans I roasted the other day. Right now, however, at *cough* 11:00pm, I am enjoying my first taste of Sweet Marias New Classic Espresso in a mighty tasty Americano.

Last edited:
Agreed! I didn't think I was a fan of Central and South American coffees...until I began 1) home roasting, and 2) found the Columbian and Costa Rican offerings at Sweet Marias.

This morning was a bit hectic, so I didn't get to sample the Peruvian beans I roasted the other day. Right now, however, at *cough* 11:00pm, I am enjoying my first taste of Sweet Marias New Classic Espresso in a mighty tasty Americano.

I'm a fan of the New Classic Espresso blend. Much fruitier than the older stuff.

Today: double shots of La Tessitura espresso blend from SM.

SMs Monkey Blend.

I haven't tried their new Classic Blend yet, that will be a weekend roast, and next week some time I'll try their Workshop # 10

Guatemala Finca Florencia Caturra, from Sweet Marias, roasted in my Nesco for 20 minutes, left to sit for only seven hours. Could use more rest and a slightly darker roast. A nice mix of earthy and bright flavors, very light body, a bit zesty and sweet. The earth and brightness balance each other, rather than blend.

That just roasted flavor is really annoying and gets in the way... Trying to get ahead of the curve so I have rested coffee to drink, I roasted a second batch of Sumatran Mandheling somewhat darker than this. By volume, the two differ significantly, so I'll start weighing my coffee from now on.

There's coffee in there somewhere under all that cream.
proxy.php

The 2nd incarnation of Black Torpedo Espresso.

50% Brasil Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama 100% Yellow Canario
40% Guatemala Finca Chichupac (mixed var.)
10% Sumatra Blue Batak Tarbarita Peaberry

Gorgeous. I am much happier with it.

I've been able to get back into my brewing the past couple months and It's good to be back had some offerings from an awesome Coffee Shop in Newtown Sydney, Campos Coffee http://www.camposcoffee.com/, been going through their blends:

Cuban Serrano Lavado
Campos Superior Blend
Bourbon Street Gourmet (Blend)
Roma Espresso Blend

All different, all awesome, Roma and Cuban I have to say are my favorites.

Also found another place the other day in Newtown too, Sacks Coffee http://www.sackscoffee.com.au/, they have a massive roasting machine right in front of the shop where they do all their roasting, was only in there for a minute or so though, grabbed a bag of their Lucky 7 blend, had a cup of that today wasn't bad jsut got to get more tastes of it see how it really is.

Obtained some Vietnamese Chon or Weasel Coffee and roasted it last weekend. After reading some info on the internet about this coffee, I must have the chemically simulated version, and not the genuine thing.

Roasted 7.5 oz on P1 profile in my Behmor 1600 for 13:30 (max 1/2 lb time). Roasted outdoors where it was a little cool and it barely finished before time ran out and cooling cycle kicked in. I was multitasking while roasting so I did not monitor it as closely as should, I heard some stray first cracks well before the end, but did not reach 2nd crack unless this was a case of 1st and 2nd running together. Whatever the case, the roast came out plenty dark.

After letting it rest all week, I drank some over the weekend, using my normal drip brewer routine. I did not expect too much as the roast did not look uniform, but the taste was very good. The coffee flavor was strong but very smooth. As advertised, there was no hint of bitterness even though it tasted much stronger than equivalent amount of Costa Rican I had brewed the last time. In summary, I thought the coffee might be all hype, but there is something to it that makes it good as well as unique.

Posting a few pictures of what it looks like. Unlike other greens that I have which are all uniform size, this looks to be an ungraded peaberry. Also have some non-weasel coffee of the same variety, which I have not roasted it yet, so I cannot compare them side by side to see difference. The weasel processed beans look a shade lighter and more uniform in color, but that might be just a natural variation in my small sample size.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Closeups of the above beans:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My first roast of the regular Vietnamese beans that I have. Brewed a pot this morning and it made a good breakfast coffee. Initial flavor is not very strong or complex, just pleasant. Has a very good body, the taste lingers in mouth well after drinking. The more I drank, the more I liked it.

proxy.php

This afternoon I had a gourd of Yerba Mate. I did it the traditional way by having multiple infusions of it, much like one would with puerh. I wanted the caffeine like kick and went with the Mate since I still have a weird aversion to tea and coffee. I'm hoping that someday soon that aversion will pass.

N

Nytrez

I found that I really like Cubita brand Cuban coffee. I have tried Santiago too, but Cubita is the better of the two, IMHO. It is my daily coffee.

A session of Yerbe Mate (unsmoked) today. I'm also in the process of breaking in a new gourd. By having several gourds in rotation I can let the dry out completely between uses so that they don't mold. I'll be able to use the new gourd a couple of days.

Top Bottom