What's new

Injector blade angle?

My E-series is cleaned up and loaded with a Chinese Schick blade, and I'm itching to take it for a spin. Any advice on finding the right blade angle?

thanks in advance!

but the later ones - I have an L1 - I really like. I'm assuming you're proficient with DE razors. It's not that different than a DE - very little pressure and the head is not flat against your face - you're looking for a similar angle to the DE where you're slicing whiskers but not scraping your skin. I don't know about E Schicks but mine sort of "sings" when you got just the right angle, just like a DE, you can hear when you got it right. It's tempting to use more pressure when using an injector but it's not a cartridge razor; like a DE it requires a light touch.

My E-series is cleaned up and loaded with a Chinese Schick blade, and I'm itching to take it for a spin. Any advice on finding the right blade angle?

thanks in advance!

just watch the pressure - you'll discover the angle (no pull, cuts hair)...

let us know how it goes! (I have an E on the way....)

Jon

thanks in advance!

I have an E type. I find the blade angle that works for me is similar to that for GEM and Ever-Ready razors - quite steep.

It went well, especially for the first time with a new razor. DFS, with a small side of razor burn.

My typical shave features a Merkur 34c, a tweezerman brush, and tabac soap. Blades vary, but I get good results with a derby and yesterday's shave was a feather on its fourth shave. I would describe my beard as medium to tough, but fast-growing, and my face as medium to sensitive.

Today I had two new toys: the Schick E with a Chinese-made Schick blade and a Penworks brush (STR1-22: faux-ivory handle, 22mm silvertip badger with extra hair). Yep, two changes at once... so it goes. Anyway the blade loaded easily. I tried to hand-strop it a little since I find that helps with my DE blades.

Prep was usual for me: a shower, in which I rubbed ordinary ivory bar soap onto my face and rinsed it off. I left my face wet while I lathered the tabac with the new brush, and applied it to my face. Then I rubbed the lather into my face for a couple of minutes, and added fresh lather for the first pass.

My usual shave is based loosely on Mantic's 10-minute shave video (I take more time, though). I do a N-S pass, then S-N, then rinse and do another pass from the outside edges inward (ie, ear to nose). Finally I clean up any rough spots (usually on my neck). I finish with a warm rinse, a cold rinse, and a splash of witch hazel, which dries on on my face while I clean up. If my skin feels dry, I'll throw on some lotion afterward.

So that's the pattern I followed, but since this was my first SE shave I went easy on the cleanup phase. The blade angle felt ok thoughout, but I didn't hear the razor sing until about halfway through the second pass. I saw lather streaks after some strokes, when I wasn't aggressive enough, and collected a couple of nicks after others, when I was too aggressive or sloppy.

I don't mind a nick unless it still bleeds after the cold rinse and witch hazel. In this case I had two like that. One was on my upper lip, and the other was on the right side of my neck where I always seem to have angle problems. Both of those nicks closed up with a little alum and cold water.

So I'd call it a good shave. About an hour later I can feel a little razor burn, but not much. My face is very smooth, but I can feel stubble in a few places on my neck where it's difficult for me to shave ATG. This is at least as well as I did yesterday, with the 34c and the fourth-shave feather blade.

Glad to hear it went well - I"ve had success with Tabac/Moos and an Injector E bakelite model as well.

When I experience lather streaks, it's usually because my angle went 'off the face' so the head pushed the lather rather than having the edge of the blade ride along it, cutting. My solution is to lather up and do another pass.

Injectors are among the finest on the chin and under the nose, IMO, but since they weigh next to nothing, getting that 'no pressure/mild pressure balance' is important.

Some Injector instructions here

Top Bottom