What's new

Your Worst Shaving Modern SR (excluding RSOs)?

I get some of the GD comments, but it's almost not fair to crucify it if the razor can be bought for under 10 bucks and honed into a usable shaver.

Other than that, no dog in this fight. All my SRs are vintage.

For $10 I’d rather buy a vintage and restore it. I also have no dog in this fight. Mostly vintage, 3 new razors (Aust, Koraat, Maggards) all are great.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I get some of the GD comments, but it's almost not fair to crucify it if the razor can be bought for under 10 bucks and honed into a usable shaver.

Other than that, no dog in this fight. All my SRs are vintage.
I think that most of the negative GD66 comments come from those who have not tried the more recently manufactured ones.

I have bought six GD66s so far this year and all but one honed up easily. They all took and hold a very good (excellent?) edge. None had geometric problems or required any heel work. One did break. It was not 1m drop proof onto a cement floor 😬. Must have been faulty.

I think that most of the negative GD66 comments come from those who have not tried the more recently manufactured ones.

I have bought six GD66s so far this year and all but one honed up easily. They all took and hold a very good (excellent?) edge. None had geometric problems or required any heel work. One did break. It was not 1m drop proof onto a cement floor 😬. Must have been faulty.

I have a much better razor than a GD that failed the 1m drop test (tile floor, not cement, but same concept). Can't hold that against the GD (I know your faulty remark was in jest).

For $10 I’d rather buy a vintage and restore it. I also have no dog in this fight. Mostly vintage, 3 new razors (Aust, Koraat, Maggards) all are great.

Point me to the $10 vintage razors rhat are worth restoring please!!! Deals can be had occasionally, I know, but I'm not seeing much out there without major blade issues for under 20 bucks. Sure, if you're OK with loping off 1/2 inch of blade and making a shorty, or spending an eternity honing out chips or a bad frown, then $10 vintage razors are available. Then and only then.

Point me to the $10 vintage razors rhat are worth restoring please!!! Deals can be had occasionally, I know, but I'm not seeing much out there without major blade issues for under 20 bucks. Sure, if you're OK with loping off 1/2 inch of blade and making a shorty, or spending an eternity honing out chips or a bad frown, then $10 vintage razors are available. Then and only then.
I've been amazed at some of the blades I've got my hands on under $20, just takes occasionally scrolling a little - once every week or two and you'll spot at least a couple things a month - which is dangerous!

I've been amazed at some of the blades I've got my hands on under $20, just takes occasionally scrolling a little - once every week or two and you'll spot at least a couple things a month - which is dangerous!

Per @5whiskey, So, could I go to eBay right now and find an easily restorable vintage razor for $10 in under 5 minutes? Probably not. $30? I think the odds are 50/50. But as @CpnStumpy said, if you are patient, check regularly, and are willing to lose some auctions, then yes it is possible. Tougher to do $10 on a BIY but $20 is not unusual. Getting to $10 mostly happens on auctions where the opening bid was $8-$9 and I was the only bidder. It happens sometimes. :cool:

Out of the vintage 11 razors I've purchased on ebay this year: 9 were under $20, of which two under $20 required zero restoration beyond honing, the rest requiring varying degrees from corrosion cleanup to total regrind or rescale. Are these razors immediately available on demand? No, unless your luck and timing happen to be right on. If you check ebay once per day for a week you'll generally see several possible candidates.

Top Bottom