What's new

Your preference: Balm, Non-Alcohol Splash, or Alcohol Splash?

Do you prefer a balm, non-alcohol splash, or alcohol splash?

• Balm

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Non-Alcohol splash

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Alcohol splash

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Depends on the season (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Both alcohol and balm

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Both non-alcohol and balm

• Alcohol, non-alcohol, and balm

• Total voters
My skin generally does best with an alcohol based splash. The only exception would be during the absolute coldest days of winter (think 10 degrees and below) where a balm might help with dry skin. That's just a couple days per year at most. And most years it would be 0 days in Southern West Virginia.

Since i have started i have always use balm, i don’t have any scientific facts to back my decision i just feel its better for the skin and more moisturising. I will try splash in the future but nothing alcohol base, after having look into skin care and learn about free radicals and that alcohol is drying i prefer to stay away. Also i don’t believe disinfecting is something you really need after a shave, as long as you have took a bath beforehand. If you really want to disinfect an alum block will do the trick.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
It mostly depends on what soap I'm using. If I'm using B&M, Speick and a few others it's just alcohol splash as post shave feel is is good enough for me.

Depends on the season. In the winter months I'll do Nivea balm and then a splash (usually Proraso red) after it's soaked in. I know a lot of guys do it in the opposite order but I like the smell of my splashes better. Summer is just a splash, usually a less nourishing one.

In the spring and fall I just go by how my face feels. If I've been outside a lot and got wind burned I use the balm.

Balm for me. I recently added aftershave cream in my traveling kit since the 50gr size is perfect. I use the Arko sensitive aftershave cream and I love it.
Once in a awhile I use splashes.

Top Bottom