What's new

Young man needing guidance.

Soaps come in many forms, stick or pick are two. Stick soap is often used for travel (but is just as fine for regular use too) and is basically a handheld sized tube of soap. It makes it easier for people who like to apply the soap directly to their wet face.

Puck soap is basically a hard hockey puck/like disc of soap about the size of a can of cat food, usually easily inserted into a shaving bowl.

Good for you! There are far fewer young men willing to admit that or adhere to that lifestyle than should be. Whatever your personal reasoning, I applaud you.
Thanks for the input! I'm guessing the soap I am planning to use is considered a pick then.

Thanks! I'm a Christian, but also have a philosophy on it as well. If I gotta be patient with a shave for a clean face, then I gotta be with patient with my urges for the right one. :D

Regarding Shaving, I'm planning to upload photos for the group to see photos of my just recent shave. Which forum should be good or should I just upload them here?

Oh yeah I'm abstinent so the sex part might be a problem...

I just threw that last part in there for some good humor. Lol

Whatever way you choose to go about your shaving routine, it's important to remember that there's (unfortunately) no one size fits all method.

You'll find yours in due time.

I received pages and pages of fantastic assistance that came in many forms and methods; which is testament to the fact that everyone is different.
Don't try to hard, keep it as simple as possible and take your time. You'll get there for sure.

As for photos, go right ahead and post them here as this is the thread that you've started.
It might be a good idea to even edit the original post so people can see it from the start.

Take care.

Oh man my bad! I posted a laughing emoji, but it didn't seem to go through. I knew it was a joke and I understand everyone's different. :) apparently I can't input the imojis here. There an app for this site?

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to edit my post, then. :D

It looks like you've been given a lot of excellent advise. The one thing I haven't noticed is focus on your pre-shave routine. For me, a shower before shaving - and then a long, unrushed face lather is enough to prevent in-grown hairs. Some swear by a glycerin pre-shave soap (like Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap.) The Bevel system, which is specifically designed to help men with ingrown hair problems, uses a pre-shave oil. You might want to see if a pre-shave soap, oil, or cream helps you.

Another thing to consider is to avoid shaving against the grain. Youtuber Nick Shaves does a three-pass shaves, with pass 2 and 3 going across the grain in opposite directions.

It looks like you've been given a lot of excellent advise. The one thing I haven't noticed is focus on your pre-shave routine. For me, a shower before shaving - and then a long, unrushed face lather is enough to prevent in-grown hairs. Some swear by a glycerin pre-shave soap (like Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap.) The Bevel system, which is specifically designed to help men with ingrown hair problems, uses a pre-shave oil. You might want to see if a pre-shave soap, oil, or cream helps you.

Another thing to consider is to avoid shaving against the grain. Youtuber Nick Shaves does a three-pass shaves, with pass 2 and 3 going across the grain in opposite directions.
Oh I most definitely have a focus on it. What's funny is that as of replying to it I'm looking at pre shave oils. I'm looking at shea moisture brand. I purchased the cream and while waiting for its arrival I'm getting the pre shave oil.

From watching videos, primarily an English man (Scottish, or Irish?) give a good Shaving tutorial and I've watched Nick Shaves. I liked his video on razors and it should the difference in Shaving as I might need to use sharper blades like Astra, but I'll wait to find out.

From the knowledge I have uncovered, I know to take a shower, as the steam and warm to near hot water will relax my hairs. After which I dry myself and lightly pat my face with a towel (gonna buy some cheap face towels from dollar store if that's a good idea), then I put on a nickel size of argan morrocan oil (it's something my sister uses for her hair so I use it as shave oil), rub it on my palms, and then on my face. I let it sit for about 1-3 minutes, and then I prepare for the Shaving. Anything I should look into?

Also I learned the hard way of going against the grain so I only go WTG, & XTG (across the grain?). But only across when I haven't shaved for longer than 3 days (I also add a pass for everyday missed after the third day and I just do a one pass with light touch ups). Oh how do I edit my post cause I don't see it and I want to upload photos so they can be seen and I can get some criticism.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Check hand towels instead of cheap face towels. Bigger but not too big. Mine came from Costco, and they're pretty nice actually, but still were inexpensive. I didn't think of the dollar stores.

Check hand towels instead of cheap face towels. Bigger but not too big. Mine came from Costco, and they're pretty nice actually, but still were inexpensive. I didn't think of the dollar stores.
Is it okay to get it from the dollar store? What would you recommend if that's safe?

One thing I've learned in my months of wet shaving: buying products to correct issues more often than not doesn't fix those problems, and usually creates other problems. Ingrown hairs and razor bumps can be fixed by properly shaving with the grain with a double edge razor and blade (or really any razor that uses only one blade rather than multiple).

I wouldn't buy any new shaving oils. The argan oil you are currently using is likely fine. Seems to be non-comedogenic and if it is working well enough for you I'd stick with it.

I've personally found that less prep works better, but that is the exception, definitely not the typical experience for new wet shavers. Stick with what seems to be working and try not to change up too much at once. Only change one variable at a time. And preferably only make that change once a week. That gives you much more time to analyze how that change affects your shave.

One thing I've learned in my months of wet shaving: buying products to correct issues more often than not doesn't fix those problems, and usually creates other problems. Ingrown hairs and razor bumps can be fixed by properly shaving with the grain with a double edge razor and blade (or really any razor that uses only one blade rather than multiple).

I wouldn't buy any new shaving oils. The argan oil you are currently using is likely fine. Seems to be non-comedogenic and if it is working well enough for you I'd stick with it.

I've personally found that less prep works better, but that is the exception, definitely not the typical experience for new wet shavers. Stick with what seems to be working and try not to change up too much at once. Only change one variable at a time. And preferably only make that change once a week. That gives you much more time to analyze how that change affects your shave.

Spot on :thumbsup: One variable at a time. Give your face time to adjust and heal.
Drop the ATG passes and the multiple passes at least in the beginning.
Don't touch your face immediately after you've shaved.

The word "pressure" and razor should never be in the same sentence- thus means just gently caress your face with the de.

Understood! Sorry for the late reply.

Funny you say that because Ive been able to have a great shave! I don't use Nivea shave gel, and don't use the aran oil as a prescription shave.

Funny you say that because Ive been able to have a great shave! I don't use Nivea shave gel, and don't use the aran oil as a prescription shave.

The one constant in wet shaving is the caveat to all of the advice given out on this forum: YMMV. What works for me or someone else may not work for you. It’s the beauty, and curse, of this hobby that there is no one “best setup” that universally works well for everyone. If there were, everyone would use it. Take the Edwin Jagger DE89 for example. Most people can get a decent shave out of it, and spending enough time with the razor can get good, irritation free shaves from it. I never could. I’ve tried, a lot, to make it work for me. Something with it just didn’t work out for me.

I’m glad that what you’re doing is working! Keep at it and make one change at a time to understand how that change works in your overall kit. I’ve learned a lot in the past month, mainly because I’ve kept things consistent in my base kit (soap, razor, blade, brush) and only varied other aspects as I wanted. I’ve solidified my pre shave routine, what I need in a post shave, even how my diet affects my shaves (too much dairy is bad for acne as it turns out). Just keep at it and enjoy your shaves! Keep them comfortable and everything else will follow.

Top Bottom