What's new

Would you buy a DE safety razor with a pivoting head?

Would you buy a safety razor with a pivoting head?

• Heck Yes! Where can I get one?

• Heck No! Are you nuts?

• I don't know. Never really gave it much thought.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nice thread revival. :-D

There were supposed to be two razors with tiltable (think Mach 3) heads that would take:
- half a DE blade (The Leaf)
- whole blade or half a blade (Beluga razor - not sure about which one it would actually be)

Looks like the Beluga razor project went titsup, to the dismay and anger of quite a few Kickstarter contributors. Quite a shame, as I quite liked how Mantic59 described its shaving abilities.

The Leaf seems to be alive still and I have filled the survey a few weeks ago, as I have backed it last year (puts flamesuit on).

The Gillette Guard is a single blade razor with a pivoting head - basically what we're talking about here. I get a pretty good shave with Guards so I don't completely dismiss the idea of a pivoting DE.

The Gillette Guard is a single blade razor with a pivoting head - basically what we're talking about here. I get a pretty good shave with Guards so I don't completely dismiss the idea of a pivoting DE.

True but the guard is still a cartridge razor.

The pivot works due to pressure being exerted. The blades for a DE are much sharper than a cartridge. So you end up cutting your dmdzcd up

The pivot works due to pressure being exerted. The blades for a DE are much sharper than a cartridge. So you end up cutting your dmdzcd up

Not sure sharper based on lack of pull from cartridge razors when shaving, but the blades are guarded or shrouded a lot more to prevent their digging in like a wood chisel blade in multi blade cartridge razors. This requirement for both edges of a wide DE blade is why the whole thing seems to be a difficult design for a reasonably sized head that you would want to shave with.

Top Bottom