What's new

World Chess Championship

The final game of the World Chess Championship takes place tomorrow, November 28, at 2PM. With the match tied at 5 1/2 points each (both have won once with the white pieces, and Carlsen has the advantage with white tomorrow), if either Magnus Carlsen or Sergey Karjakin wins tomorrow, they walk away champion. A draw sends it to a rapid chess tiebreaker. The game can be followed live on Twitch via the chessnetwork channel. It can also be watched at chess24.com, where Peter Svidler and Jan Gustafsson comment on the game as it progresses. The games have been very well played so far, and it has been one of the most exciting matches that I've seen.

Thank you for the info. I beat a 2300+ ranked player when I was in my prime but my game is nowhere near what it used to be. I still enjoy playing though.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The final game of the World Chess Championship takes place tomorrow, November 28, at 2PM. With the match tied at 5 1/2 points each (both have won once with the white pieces, and Carlsen has the advantage with white tomorrow), if either Magnus Carlsen or Sergey Karjakin wins tomorrow, they walk away champion. A draw sends it to a rapid chess tiebreaker. The game can be followed live on Twitch via the chessnetwork channel. [...]
Mike:
Sorry...I really never got into chess...backgammon is more my game, but does that mean either Carlsen or Karjakin wil be the next
'World Grandmaster'
proxy.php

“When you see a good move, look for a better one”. Emanuel Lasker

Mike:
Sorry...I really never got into chess...backgammon is more my game, but does that mean either Carlsen or Karjakin wil be the next
'World Grandmaster'
proxy.php

“When you see a good move, look for a better one”. Emanuel Lasker

Carlsen is the reigning world champion, and highest rated GM ever. Karjakin won the right to challenge him after a two year long series of tournaments, in which he finished first of the final eight remaining in the Candidates Tournament earlier this year. An American, Fabiano Caruana, finished second, just missing the chance to be the first American to challenge for the title since Bobby Fischer in 1972 (Fischer forfeited the title in 1975, without playing).

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Mike is a geek! :lol:

Actually, I'm pretty big on chess myself and have been watching the online coverage of the games. Commentary by Svidler and Jan is pretty good, with Jan being the off the wall one, while Peter engaging in analysis which often starts with things like "Nf6 would lose" and then shows what happens 10-11 moves down the road. Over my head, but I still enjoy it.

As for the chess itself, where Kasparov was an attacking monster and Karpov a python, Magnus is more akin to the boxer who keeps his hands down and constantly peppers you with quick jabs, knowing that there's a good chance that you're going to get frustrated and take chances. He's champ because he's a grinder and will play on an on as long as there is ANY chance, much like Fischer in that respect. "An equal position does not mean a draw" is a good way of summarizing his approach.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Carlsen is the reigning world champion, and highest rated GM ever. Karjakin won the right to challenge him after a two year long series of tournaments, in which he finished first of the final eight remaining in the Candidates Tournament earlier this year. An American, Fabiano Caruana, finished second, just missing the chance to be the first American to challenge for the title since Bobby Fischer in 1972 (Fischer forfeited the title in 1975, without playing).
Mike:
Thanx for the update! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Chess is like war on a board". Grandmaster Bobby Fischer​

Mike is a geek! :lol:

Actually, I'm pretty big on chess myself and have been watching the online coverage of the games. Commentary by Svidler and Jan is pretty good, with Jan being the off the wall one, while Peter engaging in analysis which often starts with things like "Nf6 would lose" and then shows what happens 10-11 moves down the road. Over my head, but I still enjoy it.

As for the chess itself, where Kasparov was an attacking monster and Karpov a python, Magnus is more akin to the boxer who keeps his hands down and constantly peppers you with quick jabs, knowing that there's a good chance that you're going to get frustrated and take chances. He's champ because he's a grinder and will play on an on as long as there is ANY chance, much like Fischer in that respect. "An equal position does not mean a draw" is a good way of summarizing his approach.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Today was a draw, so we await four games of rapid chess, with blitz chess to follow if there is still no winner.

My son played competitively around the region here, and eventually was playing against the best in his age group. His success was gratifying to watch.

It is a game that teaches a lot, Bruce. Carlsen ended up retaining his title after winning 3-1 in the rapid chess tiebreaker.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mike:
It doesn't get any better than this.

proxy.php
"India gripped as teen chess prodigy prepares to take on Magnus Carlsen for World Title".

Story by By Rhea Mogul and Ben Morse - CNN - 22 Aug 23

"Millions in India will be cheering on the teen chess prodigy known as Pragg as he takes on Norwegian Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen for the title of World Chess Champion today (Tuesday).

1692702753602.jpeg

Magnus Carlsen in Warsaw, Poland, on May 20, 2023

Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa, 18, is set to square off against the five-time world champion in Baku, Azerbaijan after defeating Fabiano Caruana in a tense match to secure his place in the final.

It comes more than one year after Praggnanandhaa shocked the chess world by beating Carlsen in an online elite rapid chess tournament, becoming the youngest player to defeat the Norwegian since he became world champion in 2013.

1692702668424.jpeg

Indian chess prodigy Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa, then 12, smiles with his mother Nagalakshmi in Chennai on June 26, 2018.

The win reverberated across India, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar praising Praggnanandhaa for his skill and talent

Born and raised in Chennai in southern India, Praggnanandhaa took an interest in the game after his older sister, Vaishali, started playing at age 6. At the time, he was just 2 years old

“I usually went and disturbed her and then my parents decided to buy me a chess book, and that’s how it started,” Praggnanandhaa told CNN Sport last year.

1692703812404.jpeg

R Praggnanandhaa is one of the most talented chess players in India

Vaishali later became a Grandmaster in 2018 and an international master in 2021.

Living in Chennai, known as the “chess capital of India,” Praggnanandhaa was given many opportunities to hone his craft, notably at the Bloom Chess academy, where he says he “learned a lot.”

Read More: India gripped as teen chess prodigy prepares to take on Magnus Carlsen for World Title

"When you see a good move, look for a better one". Emanuel Lasker

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@The Count of Merkur Cristo , The tnmt you are talking about is the World Cup, not the World Championship. CNN has updated their story to reflect this. The top 3 players from the tnmt advance to play in the Candidates tnmt in 2024 in Toronto, with the winner securing the right to play for the World Championship again Ding Lirien.

I hope Pragg wins because he would be the youngest world chess champion in history. He already plays excellent positional chess at such a young age, with extremely high accuracy. He's also cool under pressure, something that hasn't been true of all chess grandmasters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom