What's new

Wolfman Guerilla base plate "test drives" or trades?

I am considering a Wolfman Guerilla purchase but, which base plate? Is the 0.84 too much or the 0.69 not enough?

I don't recall seeing any plates or razors for sale secondhand so, that got me to thinking "what if" my choice is less than ideal? How do I know what is best for my face and whiskers? With base plates being ~$100USD plus shipping, it's not like it would be easy or cost-effective to "try" a couple of different base plates?

Taking a ~$200USD razor to $300USD also isn't viable for most people so, I'm thinking I can't be the only one with this head-scratcher!

For those of you with 2 or 3 Guerillas, good on you for being in a position to make those purchases!!! 🍻

TIA,
Sid

Gap is just part of the equation ..
Make sure you factor all the elements that make a change.
Either it be Efficiency and or Aggressiveness ( more blade exposure/feel)

Razors have a few measurable physical characteristics that affect the feel of the shave.

1. Blade exposure. This is how much of the blade is exposed from the top cap. A head with more exposure might mean that the top cap might not make contact with your skin unless you're at a very shallow cutting angle. More exposure generally will feel more aggressive.
  2. Blade gap. This is the distance measured between the safety bar and the exposed blade edge. A larger gap will feel more aggressive.
  3. Blade angle. Different heads hold blades at different angles. Some curve them down further, creating a less aggressive feel, and some hold them straighter, creating a more aggressive feel.
  4. Weight. What is the shave use to. Lighter my invoke more pressure, which may not be ideal. To much also can be a factor. Can the shaver adapt.
When you combine these 4 things ( &more) , you have combinations of Aggressiveness. Many in the forum have started calling aggressiveness "Efficiency" - as a blade that is more exposed will deliver a more efficient shave; less clogging and easier to take off 2-3 days growth in one pass seeing as how most "aggressive" razors have a decent size blade gape that allows the stubble to clear the blade edge and not clog the razor. I find it is a fusion of both with different degrees. It really comes down to trials...
All faces, skills, stubble are different...
We have a ton of Wolfman users here, so many will jump in and assist.
I just adding little more to the big picture..

Good Luck,
BFX...

Oh, I like options...
Different tools for different shaves.
Example: I have the RR G C in 68 OC, 76 SB , 84 OC/SB, 105 SB..
Depend on the growth, I have some nice options.
prefer to use the best "for me" the growth status.
I am lucky to have these options and I don't have to second guess...
Is it overkill, maybe - maybe not...
Works for Me....

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Oh, I like options...
Different tools for different shaves.
Example: I have the RR G C in 68 OC, 76 SB , 84 OC/SB, 105 SB..
Depend on the growth, I have some nice options.
prefer to use the best "for me" the growth status.
I am lucky to have these options and I don't have to second guess...
Is it overkill, maybe - maybe not...
Works for Me....
Depends on what you consider overkill. Options are great, I have the Game Changer in 68-P, 84-P, 84OC, and now the 105-P, plus a Lupo95, a WR2 0.95, a handful of Gillette TTO's and Techs, and a few AC razors to choose from. All depends on my "growth status"
20231031_141358.jpg

Will I add a Wolfman Guerilla to my list of options? :c12: Depends on my mood at the time.

~doug~

Depends on what you consider overkill. Options are great, I have the Game Changer in 68-P, 84-P, 84OC, and now the 105-P, plus a Lupo95, a WR2 0.95, a handful of Gillette TTO's and Techs, and a few AC razors to choose from. All depends on my "growth status"
View attachment 1744446
Will I add a Wolfman Guerilla to my list of options? :c12: Depends on my mood at the time.

~doug~

I am will with you on that. The mood and the tool...
Guess I stated that because some people may think it is overkill...
"Suum cuique" or "Unicuique suum > "To each is own".

For me, if I had to shave with just one razor all the time, I would go nuts now.
Now when a started with SR, I stuck with "one" ( good) SR until I knew what I was doing and had developed patience, consistency, skills and a good process.
Then I started exploring & trying other SRs. It was fun for me, learned a lot, great shaves, enjoyed it and that mattered to me.
Here, I see many jumping all around with DEs and believe it is just not the razor not them.
I say, good luck but make sure the foundation is there first...... BFX

I am considering a Wolfman Guerilla purchase but, which base plate? Is the 0.84 too much or the 0.69 not enough?

I don't recall seeing any plates or razors for sale secondhand so, that got me to thinking "what if" my choice is less than ideal? How do I know what is best for my face and whiskers? With base plates being ~$100USD plus shipping, it's not like it would be easy or cost-effective to "try" a couple of different base plates?

Taking a ~$200USD razor to $300USD also isn't viable for most people so, I'm thinking I can't be the only one with this head-scratcher!

For those of you with 2 or 3 Guerillas, good on you for being in a position to make those purchases!!! 🍻

TIA,
Sid
What razor you using now? I bought the 0.99 plate originally and it’s a real shaver but after 5 or 6 days in a row I started getting a little irritation. I bought an 0.84 base plate and it is perfect for daily shaves. Efficient while being comfortable. The next step down may be too mild unless that’s what you enjoy. The 0.99 would work well for me if I was an every 2 to 3 day shaver. I bought the aluminum version not the bronze or stainless.

For reference my daily shavers are Bkackbird, Yates H, ATT SMRH.

What razor you using now? I bought the 0.99 plate originally and it’s a real shaver but after 5 or 6 days in a row I started getting a little irritation. I bought an 0.84 base plate and it is perfect for daily shaves.
I'm between the 0.69 and 0.84 mainly in stainless steel or possibly bronze.

The Muhle Rocca and EJ 3one6 are the most used DE razors I have. The Yaqi Romulus and Schick Injectors are the main daily drivers right now.

Something less than the early Muhle R41 and more than the Rocca/3one6 is where I would like to be.

I also dislike blade chatter so, blade curvature, and how much exposure is present matters. A bit blade forward doesn't bother me as long as it is stiff. I think that is why I like the Injectors and AC blades so much. That experience in a DE razor is what I am after, whether it is called efficiency or aggressiveness.

Blade exposure. This is how much of the blade is exposed from the top cap. A head with more exposure might mean that the top cap might not make contact with your skin unless you're at a very shallow cutting angle. More exposure generally will feel more aggressive.
I think you mean Blade Reveal, BFX. See the illustration:
1699564029012.png

I’m firmly in the camp of tool for the job. I always hear, what gap should I get and I have really thick hair and leather skin etc. I’d rather go based on desired shaving timeframe and outcome. I picked my main razor because I go between 2 and 4 day’s minimum between shaves, rarely back to back days, and sometimes a week plus. If someone said they love their .54 Wolfman that would do me no good. Just my .02 hope it makes sense.

I'm between the 0.69 and 0.84 mainly in stainless steel or possibly bronze.

The Muhle Rocca and EJ 3one6 are the most used DE razors I have. The Yaqi Romulus and Schick Injectors are the main daily drivers right now.

Something less than the early Muhle R41 and more than the Rocca/3one6 is where I would like to be.

I also dislike blade chatter so, blade curvature, and how much exposure is present matters. A bit blade forward doesn't bother me as long as it is stiff. I think that is why I like the Injectors and AC blades so much. That experience in a DE razor is what I am after, whether it is called efficiency or aggressiveness.
I think the 0.84 is just a touch more efficient than the Rocca and 3one6. The 0.99 is definitely more efficient but less than the original R41….so tough call. Both are a bit blade positive. I get no chatter from the aluminum Guerilla.

I would think the heavier stainless and bronze may up the efficiency of each over the aluminum due to the added weight. So far I really like the aluminum 0.84 as a daily driver. The 0.99 is great but a little too much for me as a daily shaver….every other day or so would be the sweet spot here.

Top Bottom