What's new

Williams Mug Soap

I got a puck from the local grocery store right after it was discontinued. I've been using it for the past few weeks. I like the fragrance, and it makes a really nice looking thick lather that's very slick. It does seem though, that compared to something like my usual Pre de Provence the lather is not really stable and the puck is used up quickly.

I think that before this puck my last use was back in the early 60's. I don't remember well enough to say how the most recent formulation compares. It's too bad that it's no longer available on the shelf. If it were I might buy it once in a while off the shelf, but if I had to order it online I would get something else.

I have one puck I use occasionally just to remind me how bad a soap can be. ARKO puts Williams to shame and it is just as inexpensive.I used it in the ‘60’s and 70’s and had no problem with it but I guess it changed over the years
This.

There are literally hundreds of better soaps out there now. The only thing it had going for it was nostalgia. At one time, it was probably one of the better soap out there, but that was decades ago, when there was only 2 choices and online shopping was only imagined in Sci-fi movies.

I can't wrap my head around why people miss it these days.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have one puck I use occasionally just to remind me how bad a soap can be. ARKO puts Williams to shame and it is just as inexpensive.I used it in the ‘60’s and 70’s and had no problem with it but I guess it changed over the years
I find Williams, even what people call "modern Williams," superior to Arko. And I'm an Arkonaut!
Arko is better if what you're chasing is a Santa Claus lather beard for a photo. But Williams performs better, proving that a thin lather can be a great lather.

I find Williams, even what people call "modern Williams," superior to Arko. And I'm an Arkonaut!
Arko is better if what you're chasing is a Santa Claus lather beard for a photo. But Williams performs better, proving that a thin lather can be a great lather.
Horses for courses :)

That's what makes the hobby so enjoyable. You find what works and roll with it.

I have the desire to used them.
If I ever feel the need to divest them I may send them your way. I'm holding on to at least one to eBay in 10 years just to see what crazy bid I can get on it :)

Oddly enough, I used to like to use them as pre-shave soaps and kept one in the shower for that purpose before they were discontinued. I love the scent, and a $1 preshave soap was a bargain for me.

Used Williams this morning. I have been a regular user for many years. Sad to see it go. I like Arko as well and find it a reasonable stand in. I also use various artisan soaps but Williams has always been my go to.

Top Bottom