What's new

Wife is allergic to most aftershaves.

She has asthma & is allergic to Aqua Velva & alot of others but so far I can wear Captain's Choice Cat of 9 Tails which doesn.t bother her at all. I want to get some CC Sandalwood to try too. The CC North works for her but I am sensitive to something in it. Nivea aftershave balm works also. Is anyone else in this type of situation besides me?

No, sorry to hear this. My wife thinks she's allergic to the Veg, but I think it's something else. Seriously, could it be menthol?

Not exactly the same situation, but I am allergic to cucumbers so SWMBO and I can't use any products with cucumber. I like the Nivea ASB myself.

You could try to find AS products that only contain essential oils to see if that would help things. The only one that I'm aware of (although I haven't really looked too hard) is a new one from Chiseled Face: Cedar & Spice.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I am allergic to orris root, which is found in many fragrances. As you might expect, I have to be fairly careful with what I get, and Mrs. TL needs to run everything by me before putting it on. Many of the "classic" soaps, creams, aftershaves, and colognes contain orris root, so many of those classics are on my "no-no" list.

Sticking with essential oils is a good way to go, although it's no guarantee (there could be more than one allergy or sensitivity in play). Stirling has quite a few of those. I've thought about making some of my own, as well, but I've not really seen the need. I've found plenty of products that I enjoy and that are readily available.

I buy a lot of samples. Usually, I can tell with one whiff. Sometimes, I need to put a little on my arm to find out, but not usually. Samples might not be a cheap way to go, but it's better than buying a whole puck or bottle of something.

She has asthma & is allergic to Aqua Velva & alot of others but so far I can wear Captain's Choice Cat of 9 Tails which doesn.t bother her at all. I want to get some CC Sandalwood to try too. The CC North works for her but I am sensitive to something in it. Nivea aftershave balm works also. Is anyone else in this type of situation besides me?

How do you guys handle Witch Hazel? Thayer's makes a great line of lightly scented Witch Hazels that can be used as an aftershave (sent fades in seconds). One of them is marketed as an Aftershave too since it has some alcohol in it. Also, Lucky Tiger's aftershave splash has a light citrus scent that fades to nothing almost the instant you put it on your face - it is not alcohol based.

Nivea's balms are good, so keep using those. Also, you may want to give CC Lime a shot. I loved it and the Lime scent is light, real, and fresh and fades within half an hour. You could alternate between CC 9 tails and the lime scents seasonally.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Adding essential oils, rose water, or the like to something like Dickinson's WH or is a quick DIY way to make some manner of a splash.

Maybe you are overthinking it. If your wife is allergic to your aftershaves, tell her to stop wearing them. :)

Maybe try Speick. It is all natural, but she could still be allergic to something in that. Interesting that a strong fragrance like Co9t doesn't bother her asthma. Maybe the captain is also an all natural AS maker. You should contact him and see if he has any ideas.

$LCT-00130-1.jpg

Where are you with apples, kiwis, bananas, tomatoes, and the rest of the ragweed group?

They don't bother me at all. I find them quite delicious. I can even eat pickles, oddly enough. But eat a plain cucumber or even be around a lotion or fragrance with cucumber and I can't stop itching.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I plan on sticking with Captain's Choice aftershaves, Nivea shave balm for sensitive skin, & Bluebeard's Revenge post shave balm. I believe CC has natural essential oils & most aftershaves use synthetic fragrances. Happy shaving!:thumbup1:

Lucky Tiger, agree with this OP. Very soothing and the citrus scent does not last long. Worth a try IMO!

Maybe try Speick. It is all natural, but she could still be allergic to something in that. Interesting that a strong fragrance like Co9t doesn't bother her asthma. Maybe the captain is also an all natural AS maker. You should contact him and see if he has any ideas.

Most allergens are 'all natural.' Poison Ivy, pollen, mold, pet dander, bees....

Most allergens are 'all natural.' Poison Ivy, pollen, mold, pet dander, bees....

haha touche..
so very true... but a lot of times people that have chemical sensitivity do better with natural substances, but really natural things are chemicals too!

haha touche..
so very true... but a lot of times people that have chemical sensitivity do better with natural substances, but really natural things are chemicals too!

And I never knew people could be allergic to cucumbers. That would suck. They seem so innocent.

Top Bottom