What's new

Why are we all here?

I got here via the Rick Harrison commercial. That got me to remembering how my dad used to shave (I have his Red Tip & Toggle). I like old stuff, so reconnected with vintge Gillettes, brush and soap, and off to the races. Never looked back.

I got tired of paying for Fusion carts. Went nuts my first year buying razors and soaps, but since joining the sabbatical I realized how long this stuff last and that I'll probably just to stick to 2-3 products.

Hated shaving because the carts messed up my face so bad. I often looked like a fat and angry Irish mountain man. Saw a flick that showed a DE blade and went googling. I wound up here and lurked for all of 10 mins before joining. The rest is history.

I thought I would get a straight razor, strop, mug and brush. Then never have to buy anything ever again, with the exception of a puck of soap every couple months and I'd be set for life... hahaha, yes, I truly thought I was gonna save money.

A mirror in the shower. Yep. That's how this whole DE shaving adventure began for me. Truth be told, I never really was 'disgusted or dissatisfied' with cartridge shaving. I had been cartridge shaving my whole life. But one day the wife placed a mirror in the shower for me to shave. So I tried it out one morning (shaving in the shower) and was somewhat blown away at just how smooth a shave I had received. I figured it was the combination of the hot shower, the steam, the wetness, etc. which led to such a great result. Best cartridge shave I'd ever had.

Not being one to be satisfied coupled with my curiosity getting the best of me, I said, "Hmmmm, if my shave turned out this good. What else have I not been trying that could possibly make my shaves even better?" Did some online research which led me both to this site as well as to the plethora of YouTube tutorials, etc. Shortly thereafter, I acquired my first DE safety razor (Merkur 34c), and a host of Proraso products. Off to the races I went. Haven't used a cartridge razor since. Quite literally the best shaves I've ever had. Not to mention the entire 'process (ritual, if you will)' of shaving that I've come to anticipate and welcome each day.

Did I make the switch to save money from those pesky cartridges? Well, not really. For I've probably spent well over $2,500.00 in the month of August alone on razors, vintage razors, soaps, creams, brushes, scuttles, bowls, stands, blades, aftershaves, preshaves, the WTS forum, oh and Ebay, let's not forget Ebay!

My path here not uncommon. I started shaving with a Norelco electric alternating with an Atra in the early '80's. I moved on to Braun electrics, Mach III's, etc as time passed. About nine years ago I bought a brush, brush stand, bowl and fancy Mach III handle. No matter what I tried, I still didn't get that satisfying of shaves. I am very susceptible to ingrown hairs. Finally about two and half years ago I stumbled upon this place while trolling the interwebs. The double edge razor intrigued me so I picked one up at a nearby antique mall. That was all she wrote. I was hooked. A hundred razors later, here I am. I often wonder what would have happened if I had tried a DE when I bought that brush and Mach III handle nine years ago. Collecting had to be easier nine years ago vs. now. Even since I started two years ago, DEs have become really hard to find. I used to see them pretty regularly. Now, not so much. I still enjoy the hunt and probably won't ever stop. My shaves are now a joy and not a chore.

HAIL TO BADGER AND BLADE!!!!

Several reasons:

1-. I always wet shaved

2-. I always found cartridge prices horrendously high

3-. It angered me P&G's efforts at pushing consumers to buy new technology on a recurrent basis, thus obliging me to dispose of old (plastic) razors. It did not feel right throwing plastic cartridges twice a month or more and razors once a year or every twoyears, no matter the cost for a perfect shaving. My old Atra, Match II and III are still there, though, as a reminder or times gone bye. (BTW, it really angers me P&G's efforts at convincing men that shaving body hair is cool... come on!)

4-. My nephew, PhD in History and a lover of old stuff as everybodye else in the family, gave me one as a present

6-. Dad gave me his razors (three) when he knew that my nephew got me one as a present. One is gold plated, comes in a case and has never been used. Guess that will be kept for my siblings.

7-. Curiosity kicked in so I ended up reading posts in BB: I realized old SRs could be restored and if properly used, give a good shave

8-. Vintage SRs are sold for pennies here so I bought some more (four). One of them proved to be the best of them all. I sent one to replate, plans are to restore two TTOs.

9-. My idea is to give them away as presents to men in the family, together with blades, some good quality shaving cream and a brush.

10-. And finally, I became aware of the fact shaving can be fun. So I take my time to shave before going to bed.

A word of caution: I don't like hoarding.

Last edited:
A Google search looking for info on shaving cream.

Imagine my surprise when I learned the canned stuff I'd been using was evil. :w00t:

I was looking for a cheaper way to shave than using cartridges. It turns out shaving with a DE can be just as expensive, if not more so, if you let the AD's take hold of you.

Several reasons:

1-. I always wet shaved

2-. I always found cartridge prices horrendously high

3-. It angered me P&G's efforts at pushing consumers to buy new technology on a recurrent basis, thus obliging me to dispose of old (plastic) razors. It did not feel right throwing plastic cartridges twice a month or more and razors once a year or every twoyears, no matter the cost for a perfect shaving. My old Atra, Match II and III are still there, though, as a reminder or times gone bye. (BTW, it really angers me P&G's efforts at convincing men that shaving body hair is cool... come on!)

4-. My nephew, PhD in History and a lover of old stuff as everybodye else in the family, gave me one as a present

6-. Dad gave me his razors (three) when he knew that my nephew got me one as a present. One is gold plated, comes in a case and has never been used. Guess that will be kept for my siblings.

7-. Curiosity kicked in so I ended up reading posts in BB: I realized old SRs could be restored and if properly used, give a good shave

8-. Vintage SRs are sold for pennies here so I bought some more (four). One of them proved to be the best of them all. I sent one to replate, plans are to restore two TTOs.

9-. My idea is to give them away as presents to men in the family, together with blades, some good quality shaving cream and a brush.

10-. And finally, I became aware of the fact shaving can be fun. So I take my time to shave before going to bed.

A word of caution: I don't like hoarding.

I don't think P&G started the trend of body shaving. They're just capitalizing on that trend. I can't blame them for trying to make more money.

For me DE was not an option. Was the only thing that I had available. So into my varsity vacation in 2006/2007 I had an old Motorola RAZR flip phone. I used to visit the forum and the phone would always crash couldnt wait to get back to University to use the Community LAN. Fond memories indeed! 8 years later still going strong!

I was googling how to make shaving not suck. A dermatology site said "use a single blade razor and sensitive gel" they kind of deterred folks from using a brush, went as far as to say if you do, get a new one every month...

I went looking for a single bladed razor and found even the cheapest disposables have twin blades. Stumbled across DE's (google kept bringing me back to B&B) and it sounded like the brush and a good soap made as much difference as a DE, in comparison to carts and goo. I too, would never consider going back to goo. I would probably use a disposable or cart if I had to.

i stumbled across this as many of us looking for a cheaper way to shave. I had recently lost my job and was going on disability.Wet shaving traditionally was a cheaper alternative.

Wet shaving has open a whole new world of personal grooming. I never had used after shave, or balms. The luxury of of a brush and soap beyonds words. I love making lather every morning. I love the choices of soaps and hardware. My AD is not out of control. yes I'm saving money.

I was minding my own business, watching TV, and saw the Rick Harrison ad. I wanted to know more about alternatives to "as seen on TV" and ended up with an EJ.

I was tired of not getting a close enough shave from electric razors and looked into alternatives. Was at a point where I felt like living more like my grandfather did. Got a small house that was built in the 50's, later on bought a reel mower, then came the DE, now am canning my own pickles and plan to start a little vegetable garden next spring.

I was tired of not getting a close enough shave from electric razors and looked into alternatives. Was at a point where I felt like living more like my grandfather did. Got a small house that was built in the 50's, later on bought a reel mower, then came the DE, now am canning my own pickles and plan to start a little vegetable garden next spring.

Sounds very good! Keep an eye out for cars with fins (57 Chevy would be nice!)

I bought a vdh brush and puck of Williams at random when I saw them on the shelf at Walgreen's about 5 years ago. Something picked my curiosity. Probably watched too many westerns growing up.

Top Bottom