What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

For my first B&B post, I thought I'd share something I composed regarding my preference for the vintage steel.

A hair's breadth from mortality

Before '67;
Before Lady Candace took the Drive of Dahlias;
Before Betty met Jack,
Or Leo, Lillian,
Before theirs became" the greatest;"
Before the Dust Bowl or Black Tuesday or the 20s started roaring;
Before Versailles ended all wars;
The first man took up the Wm Elliott & Co,
Ran the etched blade
Lightly and swiftly along the leather strop
Then slowly across his wet face and
Scraped away the passage of time.

Tonight I grasped his hand,
And with the aid of badger and Taylor
Passed that same #286 hollow ground
German carbon steel
Over my own throat--
A hair's breadth from mortality--
Listening to it sing
Until I set it down again
With one of the finest shaves in perhaps a hundred years.

Joseph Lavy, 3/26/2011©
I won't lie...this made me tear up a bit. I'm gonna have to put it on my facebook, if you don't mind! :)

OMG GUYS, i just bought a Fox&Norris from someone on SRP, who is pretty knowledgeable and says its def. possible to make shave worthy...it's being restored/honed up right now, but I couldn't wait to share my excitement. Pics incoming around christmas.

OMG GUYS, i just bought a Fox&Norris from someone on SRP, who is pretty knowledgeable and says its def. possible to make shave worthy...it's being restored/honed up right now, but I couldn't wait to share my excitement. Pics incoming around christmas.
Sweet! Can't wait to see the pics!

Pictures or it didnt happen :001_302::001_tt2:

Here I have an ERN 1834 (5/8) “Eagle & Snake”. I restored it to the best I could today seeing as I’m running out of tools like sandpaper and diamond pastes.

There appears to be very little info on this blade and the best I can come up with is that ERN seemed to change their logo to “The Crown & Sword” after 1874 so this blade is possibly 144yrs old or more?

I think the handle is celluloid but it is slightly different colours in places , mainly orangey tones. Maybe it was due to sunlight? Seeing as celluloid was created in 1848 I guess it could be between 1848 - 1874 [emoji848]

It shaves like nothing else!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is the oldest razor I have seen pics of anywhere that is still in shave ready condition and being used. Super cool score!

that's awesome to hear! :D (it's nice to impress someone)

BUt you shd check out "That 1700's show" thread over at SRP - blades that are MUCH older there. Between that and the "dip-at-toe" thread a few ppl have even posted stuff from the 1600's..though not sure how may are being used.

I have a Wade that I believe is at least 128 years old. 7/8 and 1/2 hollow. Shaves like a dream and holds its edge nicely.

Top Bottom