What's new

Who knew paper choice mattered so much

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've just been returning notes to a few people here that are involved in the snail mail exchange we have going. (do get involved if you are writing with a fountain pen . . . it is great fun)

So I decided I want to watch the news as well . . . so I take out one of the two pads of Rhodia paper I purchased from Goulet Pen Company with three inks . . .

I can not believe how smoothly the words flowed onto the paper. The A5 paper at about 6" x 8" with a large margin felt bigger than a blank 8.5" x 11" sheet of what I have been using.

Two of six letters I've received have been on this paper . . . now I understand why.

Take care.

Mike

I've just been returning notes to a few people here that are involved in the snail mail exchange we have going. (do get involved if you are writing with a fountain pen . . . it is great fun)

So I decided I want to watch the news as well . . . so I take out one of the two pads of Rhodia paper I purchased from Goulet Pen Company with three inks . . .

I can not believe how smoothly the words flowed onto the paper. The A5 paper at about 6" x 8" with a large margin felt bigger than a blank 8.5" x 11" sheet of what I have been using.

Two of six letters I've received have been on this paper . . . now I understand why.

Take care.

Mike

The 80g Rhodia and the 90g Clairfontaine are the best I've used (both actually Clairfontaine paper)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
too bad I didn't know about the dot paper till I received your note. Live and learn . . .

Or live and have yet another AD

Yeah, I found this out about this as well. I printed out a lot of working papers for doing handwriting practice and the normal paper for a laser printer bleeds like a stuck pig.

I wound up buying a ream of HP 32lb.

Rhodia pads are a treat to write on.
Not just with a fountain pen. Ball points and rollerballs glide across the paper too.

I thought Rhodia and Clairfontaine were distinct brands of a common parent company... could be wrong. In any case, both are great paper. I have a Rhodia Webbie that has off-white 90g Clairfontaine dot-paper, and a Rhodia legal pad (80g, white, lined). Both are a joy to write on.

When we were playing with medieval recreation, my wife did period-appropriate calligraphy and illumination, she played with a whole lot of different papers and such. The difference in papers is just amazing. They all have different properties and interact with pen and ink (and paint) differently. I <3 Ingres paper by Canson, but can't find it in small sizes to write on. It's a laid paper, off-white, and has GREAT tooth to it. I used it in book making because it is such beautiful paper. Takes ink beautifully but doesn't really bleed out or show through.

I am waitning on my package from WCS to arrive with my 5 o'clock shadow and pen. I have been looking at various papers to try and the Rhodia and Clairfontaine are definitely on the list. Just what I need another AD. Damn you guys. BTW how do I get involved in the snail mail exchange?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I am spoiled now. I was just writing in my journal (Lee Valley log book . . . see acquisition thread) . . . it is lovely but as nice as the paper is . . . it is not like the Rhodia. I'm torn now . . . I've always been the wast not want not kinda guy. Squeezing together soap scraps to wash with . . . ketchup and mustard standing upside down in the fridge to get the last drop. But now I'd like my journal to be on this nicer paper. (yep . . . I'm doomed)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I am waitning on my package from WCS to arrive with my 5 o'clock shadow and pen. I have been looking at various papers to try and the Rhodia and Clairfontaine are definitely on the list. Just what I need another AD. Damn you guys. BTW how do I get involved in the snail mail exchange?

I'd be pleased to send you a note as well. PM me your address. I promise not to send my crack sales staff directly to your door.

Mike

PM me and we can exchange addresses for snail mail.

Top Bottom