What's new

Who adds Eucalyptus and Menthol to their AS?

I've really gotten addicted to AS with a strong influence of eucalyptus and menthol, but I have a couple AS's that while I like the general scent of, don't appear to have these ingredients, so I have menthol crystals now and eucalyptus oil incoming from Amazon.

Sooo....here goes the experimenting!

I have some menthol crystals and I yet have to add any to the aftershaves I have, maybe tomorrow I just will. That and I have yet to try Osage Rub as mentioned above...maybe I should...

I added 1 menthol crystal to my Maggards London Barbershop AS and it's outstanding. It doesn't take whole lot of menthol to make a difference.

I will add menthol to some aftershaves. I will add menthol and a few drops of peppermint essential oil to my bottle of witch hazel.

I mixed up some menthol and glycerin and keep it in a dropper bottle. That way, I can add menthol to any soap, balm, or aftershave on demand without modifying the original product.

For soap, I just add a few drops to my brush after I've loaded.
For balms and aftershaves, a few drops to the amount I've dispensed into my hand.

Between the cooling effect of the menthol, and the additional slickness of the glycerin, it really gives a nice "boost" to the product.

I mixed up some menthol and glycerin and keep it in a dropper bottle. That way, I can add menthol to any soap, balm, or aftershave on demand without modifying the original product.

For soap, I just add a few drops to my brush after I've loaded.
For balms and aftershaves, a few drops to the amount I've dispensed into my hand.

Between the cooling effect of the menthol, and the additional slickness of the glycerin, it really gives a nice "boost" to the product.

Love that idea!

I add Osage rub to other things, It's a bit strong on it's own. Witch Hazel+a few drops of Tapac Cologne + Osage rub is one of my favorite combos. Menthol is great in the summer here, I get like 30 minutes of cooling from the triple digit heat.

Just got my eucalyptus oil in today. I have an AS I really like (Royal Copenhagen) and will doctor it up just a bit. Something about the combo of eucalyptus and menthol just feels fantastic and I'll bet it will be a winner this summer.

Proraso green splash is a great light menthol eucalyptus splash if Osagis too powerful. It smells great.

I've added menthol to basically every AS I have. It's addictive!

Jus be gentle because a little goes a long way. I have a couple I overdosed and they feel like liquid nitrogen now.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I highly recommend getting an inexpensive jeweler's scale if you want to start adding menthol crystals to AS. As little as a half gram in 100ml can make a serious difference. You'll also want to use the scale to be consistent.

I've added menthol crystals to a number of things, but never eucalyptus.

I love my Osage Rub. When I want to calm it down, I mix it with Lucky Tiger.

I took my Royal Copenhagen AS and added a few menthol crystals and half an eye dropper of Eucalyptus oil and it feels great! I seem to have become a eucalyptus and menthol addict for some strange reason :)

I have ALWAYS loved menthol when shaving and was sad when Noxzema stopped making their Menthol Shaving Cream in the aerosol can many, many years ago. So I searched a few weeks ago for "Best Menthol Shaving Soap" and after much research, bought a tub of VOSTOK from Queen Charlotte Soaps. (They are super-fast shippers BTW!) WOW! It does bring back good memories and the menthol smell and after-effect on my skin has been outstanding. If you like a lot of menthol, try Vostok! I also took it one step further by purchasing 1 oz. of menthol crystals on eBay (for $2.99) and putting a tablespoon or more in both my Aqua Velva "Ice Blue" aftershave and Stephan "Island Lime" cologne. (Nothing scientific about the amount of crystals I put in, just put a spoonful in, shook them until they dissolved and tried it out.) I love it!! It's like getting slapped in the face with a snowball - in a comfortable way : - )

I can see where the mixing is a fun experiment, but I haven't really felt the need. If I want an aftershave that's got a menthol kick, I'll start with one that's made that way. It's easy to pick a point on the curve in my collection from mild (Myrsol Emulsión) to medium (Lúcido or Proraso) to stronger (444). I don't have any face freezers; that's not my bag.

I recently made my own aftershave with 192 proof vodka and witchhazel and added eucalyptus + menthol, I love it!

I highly recommend adding menthol crystals to AV Musk. So far, this has been my favorite. Great scent, great face feel and now, great face freeze!
Ive ramped it up a couple of times. It's now at the point where I like it, just on the verge of making my eyes water. It's terrific!

Top Bottom