What's new

Which SE to start with ?

So here's my problem:

I get 1 semi-comfortable shave out of a cartridge razor (Mach 3), but usually end up with a 2-4 inch area on my neck being a red bumpy rash. It's worse on the 2nd shave, and I get LOTS of razor burn and bloody bumps all over my neck and underside of my chin/jaw on shave 3.

It's not ingrown hairs - just hyper irritated skin. The stubble is sticking out of the bumpy rash just like the rest of the 5 o'clock shadow 6-8 hours later.

I tried DE shaving so I could afford to get a new blade after 3 shaves - and it's better but not great. The first shave is usually close and mostly comfortable, but the 2nd usually results in a 2x4 inch patch on my neck getting light red razor rash - and the 3rd almost always results in a handful of weepers on underside of my chin / jaw.

But with a straight razor - I get no razor rash, and only a occaisional weeper in 1 spot on the underside of my chin. But, it's not quite as close of a shave as the DE either. I suspect this is because my wiskers grow sideways and flat to the skin - and it's impossible to shave east-west through the valleys on your neck with a straight razor.

I also want to stick with a safety razor because I dislike having to touch up the straight razor on a finishing hone every 4-5 shaves, rehoning the razor every 2 weeks --- and the extra time stropping, using, and drying the straight razor adds to my mornings...

When using the DEs, I discovered that my skin is less likely to get the red bumpy rash, or weepers if I use a razor that is on the milder side.

But none of the above is close and comfortable - so I thought I'd see if the more rigid SE blades help.

I see many types of SEs mentioned and reviewed on this forum - including 1912's, 1914's, 1924's, lather catchers, gem jr, g-bar, clog proofs, MMOC, etc. But I can't find anything that compares their aggressiveness...

What do you guys think would work best for me ?

Start with a 1912, they are great, and in the middle of the aggressiveness scale. If you want more aggression go for a 1924,1914, MMOC, or MMCP. If you want milder go for one of the newer safety bar models G-bar, Bullet Tip, Feather Weight, or Contour.

From my own experience, of the SEs that take the GEM type blades, I would rank them as below, going from the mild GEM Featherweight to the aggressive GEM MMOC. I would suggest that you get an Ever Ready 1912 as a start point & go up, or down from there.The 1912s had a very long production run of about 30 years & are inexpensive & plentiful.

Don’t discount injector razors (Schick & PAL), or the many contemporary SE razors that use the “artist club” blades, such as the Mongoose.

GEM Featherweight
GEM G-Bar
Ever Ready 1912
GEM Junior
Ever Ready 1914
Ever Ready 1924 (Shovelhead)
Every Ready Streamline /Jewel 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] generation
GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) – with blade tray bumps
GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) – no blade tray bumps

I'd also recommend a 1912. It's right in the middle of the aggression curve, so if you find it too aggressive you can try a Featherweight, Bullet Tip, G-Bar, etc., or if you'd like something more aggressive you could then try a 1924, MMOC, etc.

Of course, you may find that it is exactly what you are looking for.

At any rate, the 1912 is the benchmark against which other SE's are compared. They are cheap and readily available - everyone should have one (or several).

--Bob

I just gave SE's a try last week. I first started with a Gem Micro-Matic Open Comb. It was very harsh and not a great shave. Thought I had the right angle but not a great shave. I found two Gem 1912's on the auction site, one being a Damaskeene, and I think it may be the greatest shaving instrument ever created. I get great shaves from my DE's, but the Damaskeene shaves are close to perfect. It is a great razor.

The GEM SEs are great and are definitely worth a try. I think you should also give consideration to a Schick Injector. The older ones are aggressive and they get milder as the models get more recent. I suggest you look for either an L, M (sdjustable), or N Type.

There is more information at: http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm.

Also, definitely take a look at the modern SEs using the Feather Artist Club blades. I have one from Colonial Razors called The General that is a mild, but efficient shaver. Colonial is working on getting a second batch made, so it will be a while before they are back in stock. I think it would be worth the wait. There are also several other Artist Club SEs out there, such as The Mongoose, ATT SE1, and The Claymore by Executive Shaving.

Question: are you shaving every day?

I have had the same experience as Sceptic Pencil & spidey9 with Gems. They shave me closely and are very comfortable. The 1912 gives me the better shave, but is a little more aggressive than the Featherweight. There were some NOS, Featherweights on ebay the other day @ $10.00 ea plus shipping. If you don't mind dropping $30.00 the ebarbershop.com Schick, type O, clone appears to be a nice piece and is also very comfortable for me.
Regards,
Ron I

Last edited:
I'd start with a 1912 and a Micromatic open comb. Those are the two staples of the GEM line. If you like them you can branch out from there.

Have you considered a shavette? All the benefits of a straight shave, with disposable blades so no hassle of stropping and honing. Wecks with their Hair Shaper Blades and Feathers with their blades are both really nice options and are good alternatives with the same feel of a real straight.

I find the G Schick injectors (thanks Doug!) to be a great breaking in point to SE. A couple of factors I find work for me are the near perfect handling characteristics including an ideal handle shape and length, and finding the correct angle is for me, effortless and automatic.

The G is just about the perfect combo of mildness and efficiency using the Chinese Schick blades. That said, all the advice here is good and you'll probably end up like me and own all of them eventually :)

My hunch is that you haven't done enough experimentation with DE razors to dismiss them. There are many variables around prep, soaps, blades, razors, shave technique and post-shave balms which all have a massive effect on shave comfort and quality.

If you haven't tried a Schick Krona DE razor with a Gillette SB blade then all bets are off. That combination with good prep and technique will give you the kindest shave you can imagine. I strongly urge you to stick with one razor type and vary one other component of the shave until you nail it.

If you're determined to try a SE, I'd agree with dkeester in that a Schick Injector type L is the way to go. In my opinion, it's infinitely nicer to use than a Gem 1912 or MMOC (both of which I also own).

Try a later model Schick (Type I and up). If you can find an adjustable Schick, you'll be able to dial up or down the aggression, but even on full-bore, it's not that aggressive and it's always very smooth. The Schicks usually get me in 2 passes to where most DEs are at after 3, even though I sometimes have to check to make sure they're cutting.

Top Bottom