What's new

Which one do you prefer Irisch Moos or Tabac?

Do you prefer Irisch Moos or Tabac?

• Irisch Moos

• Tabac

• I like them both

• I don't care for either one

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use them both and can't find any fault with either one. Both give the same great shave, I like the smell of both: a perfect win - win situation!:001_smile
One for face lathering, one for the bowl. I honestly see no reason whatsoever to invest a single euro in any other shaving soap, the value can't be beaten.

I use them both and can't find any fault with either one. Both give the same great shave, I like the smell of both: a perfect win - win situation!:001_smile
One for face lathering, one for the bowl. I honestly see no reason whatsoever to invest a single euro in any other shaving soap, the value can't be beaten.

Germany offers some top quality products, that's for sure. I'm just curious, and since you live there, I wonder if you can tell me, are the products such as Tabac and Irisch Moos (and Palmolive shave sticks, etc.) available at many retail locations at relatively low prices?

I bought two from superlather.com, and I didn't get in on the group buy. I just like laughing about the long wait :biggrin:

I missed it too. Then I was able to get it fresh from Germany through ebay. I know that the guys who've waited so patiently for theirs that is already paid for are frustrated. It's just one of those unfortunate occurrences that could never have been anticipated.

Germany offers some top quality products, that's for sure. I'm just curious, and since you live there, I wonder if you can tell me, are the products such as Tabac and Irisch Moos (and Palmolive shave sticks, etc.) available at many retail locations at relatively low prices?

Palmolive shave sticks: most supermarkets and drugstores. They are really cheap, but I can't give you an exact price.

Irish Moos and Tabac: many drugstores and department stores. My Tabac puck set me back 8 euros, the Irish Moos Stick is about 3-4 euros.

Here's a tip about the poll listed above (if I understand correctly, which is always open to debate): It won't show you the results to date, unless you vote in the poll. If you vote, you get to see how all the rest of the guys have voted.

Here's my theory: 1. You (the manufacturer of Tabac, Maurer & Wirtz) already own and sell one of the arguably best shaving soaps in existence, and the fragrance of that excellent soap is well-loved by a large segment of the customers, but not loved by all target customers, in fact, the fragrance is an instant turn-off to many.

2. Your objective is to get the (arguably) best of the best performing soaps into the hands of that other half of the targeted customers who might use it over and over again if they would try it, but they can't get past the fragrance.

3. The solution is simple. Buy a product that is already on the market in a slightly different compound, reformulate it to duplicate the soap compound of your currrent product, keep the existing fragrance, maybe tweak the fragrance as needed, then utilize your existing manufacturing and marketing infrastructure to sell it to the remainder of your targeted customers, alongside your other product.

Bottom line, here's what this means, as we've all figured out already: The ones who love Tabac do not necessarily lose any love on Irisch Moos, and the feeling is mutual if you happen to be one who enjoys Moos but dislikes Tabac. This effectively doubles your sales. Thank you, M & W. Please don't change your basic soap formula now that you've got all your bases covered. We don't like reformulations.

PS: I just realized that I should have included a 5th option, for guys who haven't had a chance to use one or both of the products.
I'll take a Tabac rose or lavender..... And a Sandalwood to boot!

I'll vote when I get mine. I suspect I will like both from everything I've read, and the Moos will get some heavy usage this summer like the Tabac gets used in the fall & winter.

I have both. Absolutely no difference in effectiveness for me; they are both great.

Simply comes down to which scent. For me, I like the original. It has really grown on me.....like a sweet smelling fungus :wink:

They are both ok but I don't would not use either of them outside contests and such.

I think you are right and the praise on Tabac is a bit overdone. It is certainly a quality soap but the more soaps I try, the further down Tabac goes in my top-10.

Not because it isn't good enough, it is, but because there are a hell of a lot of soaps out there that are at least as good or even better.

And it's easy to get. As the old rock and roller Jerry Lee Lewis said: "If you ain't got somethin', get somethin'". Irisch Moos is readily available stateside from Mark at Superlather.com. Overseas, it's available from The Dutch Shaving Shop, from Paul. You can have your very own 100 mg stick in about 3 or 4 days.
Thanks, I didn't know that. When it was first talked about, I think it was only available at a Dutch site. Then, the group buy went into effect back around November and it's still not in yet, so I figured it must be unobtainium.

I like them both. The Moos I got was only a sample and I got three or four shaves from it. I love the performance of Tabac!

I have both. Absolutely no difference in effectiveness for me; they are both great.

Simply comes down to which scent. For me, I like the original. It has really grown on me.....like a sweet smelling fungus :wink:

It does grow on you. I'll second that statement. In the beginning, it was almost offensive. It startled me, for lack of a better description. I stopped shaving with it, and set it aside, but found myself sniffing it almost daily. Then I started shaving with it every so often, and now am very fond of it. I'm fond of Moos also. They're just two different fragrances among many very fine quality soaps.

Top Bottom