What's new

which boar brushes should i get?

hey so i want to get some boar brushes, i previusly had a omega one so i know omega are good and liked that brush a lot

like which omega brushes should i get? ive never used semogue and zenith brushes but hear theyre good

these omega brushes were the ones i was looking at but just want to double check and bare in mind im a head shaver

proraso pro omega

omega 48

omega 49

omega 98

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My personal favorite boar at the moment is the Zenith B33 with the 506 copper handle: Zenith Copper Boar Brush. 27.5mm Made In Italy B33 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255004687229
It's a bit more expensive. I don't know in what country you reside but if you live in the States, it sure cuts down on shipping time.

I do have an unbleached Zenith from YourShaving.com en route. it's reported to be very nice... it's inexpensive but after you add in standard shipping, it gets up there for a boar.... and mine was shipped on June 22nd and is just now leaving Madrid for the States, so it will be around a month from order to delivery, give or take a few days.

As far as I know, they are the only source for the unbleached boar selections, but I could be wrong. I ordered the shorter black resin handle brush. It's their 506 shape... comes in different colored resins, aluminum, copper and various woods. It feels so good in your hand.

Reactions: saj
My personal favorite boar at the moment is the Zenith B33 with the 506 copper handle: Zenith Copper Boar Brush. 27.5mm Made In Italy B33 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255004687229
It's a bit more expensive. I don't know in what country you reside but if you live in the States, it sure cuts down on shipping time.

I do have an unbleached Zenith from YourShaving.com en route. it's reported to be very nice... it's inexpensive but after you add in standard shipping, it gets up there for a boar.... and mine was shipped on June 22nd and is just now leaving Madrid for the States, so it will be around a month from order to delivery, give or take a few days.

As far as I know, they are the only source for the unbleached boar selections, but I could be wrong. I ordered the shorter black resin handle brush. It's their 506 shape... comes in different colored resins, aluminum, copper and various woods. It feels so good in your hand.
i dont see the point spending more then i need to on a boar as theyre so reasonably priced tbf

which brush is the one you got from yourshaving site?

whats the difference between bleached and unbleached boar brushes?

I'd give a + to the proraso pro, but I'm a bit biased since its the only boar brush I have tried of the ones you mention. Give it a soak for 3 days in the fridge and you've got a broken in brush, at least in my experience with mine. Got nothing bad to say about it.

I'd give a + to the proraso pro, but I'm a bit biased since its the only boar brush I have tried of the ones you mention. Give it a soak for 3 days in the fridge and you've got a broken in brush, at least in my experience with mine. Got nothing bad to say about it.
so you soak it wet and leave it in water in the fridge? or just a wet/damp the brush in the fridge?

so you soak it wet and leave it in water in the fridge? or just a wet/damp the brush in the fridge?

I take a glass of water and put the brush in the glass. Then I place the glass with the brush in the fridge for 3 days.

Small boar => Semogue 610 with acrylic handle. Great face lathering brush.

Medium boar => Omega 11137 with ash wood handle. Inexpensive but very good. I like it more than the Semogue SOC boar that costs at least twice as much.

Large boar => Omega 10108. Similar knot to the Omega Jade premium, but less than $10. I like it more than the Omega 49. Quite a bargain.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@saj1985 , my preferred brushes are synthetics made by @apshaveco and RazoRock.

The AP ShaveCo G5A, Cashmere, and Silksmoke knots are hedonism on a pedestal.

RazoRock’s Plissoft Noir is also very, very nice (and their F-400 XXL 34mm knot is probably more suited to your head shaves than my face shaves).

The G5A knot is very fascinating, but I can’t fathom not getting superlative lather from the other two AP ShaveCo knots I also mentioned.

• Love

Medium boar => Omega 11137 with ash wood handle. Inexpensive but very good. I like it more than the Semogue SOC boar that costs at least twice as much.

Large boar => Omega 10108. Similar knot to the Omega Jade premium, but less than $10. I like it more than the Omega 49. Quite a bargain.

thanks for the recommendations

i wonder if anyones got the omega boar brush range?
i ask as because theyre reasonably price, good quality and different size knots and style of handles too

I take a glass of water and put the brush in the glass. Then I place the glass with the brush in the fridge for 3 days.
is it normal to lose bristles whilst breaking it in? as in when palm lathering etc @NorthernSoul any ideas?

@saj1985 , my preferred brushes are synthetics made by @apshaveco and RazoRock.

The AP ShaveCo G5A, Cashmere, and Silksmoke knots are hedonism on a pedestal.

RazoRock’s Plissoft Noir is also very, very nice (and their F-400 XXL 34mm knot is probably more suited to your head shaves than my face shaves).

The G5A knot is very fascinating, but I can’t fathom not getting superlative lather from the other two AP ShaveCo knots I also mentioned.
yea i do like synthetics as well and only got thee one muhle badger brush

i think ive seen a wet shaving youtuber use that razorock f400 brush, its really big lol

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Semogue 610 is my favorite, it was PIF'd to me years ago already broken in!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s very nice and can be surprisingly frugal with soap.

The AP ShaveCo G5A knot feels both very much like a badger and very much not a badger at the same time. You might enjoy it.

The only badger I have is a DS Cosmetics Silvertip and it’s magic and scares me.

thanks for the recommendations

i wonder if anyones got the omega boar brush range?
i ask as because theyre reasonably price, good quality and different size knots and style of handles too

is it normal to lose bristles whilst breaking it in? as in when palm lathering etc @NorthernSoul any ideas?
It's common to lose a few bristles when the brush is new. It will only be a few at a time and the shedding will usually taper off so you will not lose very many more after a few uses. Try not to soak the handle, just soak the lower 2/3 or so of the bristles in a mug. Clean the soap out of the brush after each use. That will help the knot to last a long time.

Omega makes a huge number of different models, but the knots fall into a few common sizes. I have quite a few Omega boars. My favorites are the ones I gave you, though I also like the beehive 10081 and 80080, and several others. Some people don't like the handles, but the knot is more important IMHO. Omega knots are generally very good, though I don't care for the ones that have very tall loft.

Last edited:
It’s very nice and can be surprisingly frugal with soap.

The AP ShaveCo G5A knot feels both very much like a badger and very much not a badger at the same time. You might enjoy it.

The only badger I have is a DS Cosmetics Silvertip and it’s magic and scares me.
i dont get it why does it scare you? lol

It's common to lose a few bristles when the brush is new. It will only be a few at a time and the shedding will usually taper off so you will not lose very many more after a few uses. Try not to soak the handle, just soak the lower 2/3 or so of the bristles in a mug. Clean the soap out of the brush after each use. That will help the knot to last a long time.

Omega makes a huge number of different models, but the knots fall into a few common sizes. I have quite a few Omega boars. My favorites are the ones I gave you, though I also like the beehive 10081 and 80080, and several others. Some people don't like the handles, but the knot is more important IMHO. Omega knots are generally very good, though I don't care for the ones that have very tall loft.
i mentioned omega proraso pro, 48, 49 and 98, you reckon theyre too similar or good buys?

i mentioned omega proraso pro, 48, 49 and 98, you reckon theyre too similar or good buys?
If you get the proraso pro, the others are redundant, IMHO. The proraso pro is a similar size to the others, but with shorter loft. Better for face lathering.

In that size, I would get either the proraso pro or the 10108, just pick your favorite.

Top Bottom