What's new

which blade to try first?

I passed the mail lady on my way back to work today which means my sampler pack from letterk is here (thanks for fast shipping btw). anyway my question is which order do you think i should try the blades. i have been shaving with mekur blades in a HD for a couple months now and wanted to see which blade would be best for me.

thanks
matthew

I agree - save the Feather for last. I used a Feather right after a Merkur (and my technique was still not too good) and it wasn't a good experience. I have had luck with the Israeli's in my HD (haven't nicked myself once and had only one case of burn when I tried too hard to get my neck BBS). I would recommend trying these and see what you think. As with all shaving advise, YMMV.

I've tried the Merkurs, Feathers, Israeli's, and Derby's so far. I know that things can vary a great deal from individual to individual, but my experience has been:

Merkurs > Derby's > Israeli's (and, mostly, 'greater than' here is correlated with sharpness, in my experience with these blades).

The Feathers are in a class of their own. The jury for how well they work with me is still out.

well i tried the israeli today and did not like it at all after shaving with the mekur it felt sooooo dull. the pulling was awful. however I will say it was good to my face (five passes and no nicks, burn, or discomfort). i guess ill try the derbys tomorow.

ok i have tried all the blades now and here is what i thought of them. israeli and derbys seemed very dull and the israeli seemed to pull worse than my M3. I probably wont shave with these blades again. the swedes were very nice and will probably become my daily blade for a while (any suggestions on the best place to get them?) i like the mekurs and since i had shave with them for pretty much my whole DE time i used them as the standard. the feathers where also very nice. they were sharp and shaved me with no effort at all. they also gave me the most comfortable s-n shave of all the blades. overal i would say that if you are new to DE shaving the israeli or derbys would be good as they are very forgiving. the feathers seemed to be a little less forgiving as I got two or three small nicks (no blood but found them with the alum). however all this is just IMHO (dont want a rabbid mob of Israeli fans trying to car bomb me :wink: )

matthew

I would try multiple blades from each pack and use them for the life of the blade...i.e. 4,5,6,7 days...until you notice them pulling. You don't want to make your judgement on a blade you use one time...could have a bad one.

Top Bottom