What's new

Where to buy scales

I have two razors that require new scales. Has anyone here bought premade scales? Where did you buy them? How do i know what size to buy? How difficult was it to pin?
I have two usable razors at the moment and would like to have another two to choose from.
I would prefer inexpensive scales because I am frugal (cheap).
Thank you

whippeddog.com has plastic replacement scales. Maggard's does, too.

Check out youtube for pinning - it's not bad if you have a little patience and fine motor skills.

I say if you have the ability, make you own. Its not too hard I dont think. I just started to make my first set. You tube vids help a lot. I jusy posted what they look like so far on my Journal. Its in my sig line.

You can buy them but making is more fun IMHO.
Good luck on what you choose!

You could send them to Larry too and he will put the new scales on for you. I think it was like $10 or less per razor, plus the cost of the scales. Pinning isn't too bad though if you have a little patience.

Here are the first scales I've made. Made them just the other day. Second pic is after some staining and sanding. Thats as far as I've gotten so far.

View attachment 705814 $20161129_181346.jpg

So making them yourself isn't hard. Just takes some time and a couple wood cutting tools. Hope these turn out ok. I'm starting to wonder how they are going to look.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

I've made a few just to see if I could do it (all were wood). I've found that I ended up preferring the plaster or bone ones that I already had as my wood ones just felt too thick.

I might try to redo them sometime to see if I can thin them out. I'm just using hand tools and it's hard to keep everything even.

I've made a few just to see if I could do it (all were wood). I've found that I ended up preferring the plaster or bone ones that I already had as my wood ones just felt too thick.

I might try to redo them sometime to see if I can thin them out. I'm just using hand tools and it's hard to keep everything even.

I think i am going to do the do it yourself route. I just need to get all of the tools! Haha. Hey, where did you guys buy the washers?? I haven't been to the hardwhere store. Do they have #0 washers there? Hobby lobby maybe? I'm going to use acrylic by the way. They have cool looking blanks on amazon, kind of pricey though.
Hey, did you know that you can get the poorly ground ball on a ball pein hammer better formed with 80 grit sandpaper? Goes pretty fast. I think im going to slightly dome the other side of the hammer next.

I went to all the hardware stores in my area and nothing smaller than a 4 and.some places 6 was as.small.as.they went.
Microfasteners.com i think is where i found them. Still waiting on them to ship after 4 days so dont get in a hurry for them. Ha.

I think it was also 4 bucks. I also bought the #1s in hopes to use them on the insides. But from what Doc226 said they need flattened or they are to think for the insides.

I think I got the copper rod and washers on ebay in a kit for restoring razors. They were probably more expensive that way but it was easy and I got them right away.

I think I got the copper rod and washers on ebay in a kit for restoring razors. They were probably more expensive that way but it was easy and I got them right away.

I did see that and would prefer to order everything from amazon/ebay, but it was quite a bit more. Always makes me nervous giving all these websites my credit card info.

Microfasteners is good. At the local hardware store near me there is a 'tree' with small quantities of small parts from a company called Hob-bits. They are quite expensive this way, but very convenient for small quantities.

I went to Ace and found brass rod in a 3 pack for less than 3 bucks and they are 12 to 14 inches i think. I also found the rods at a hobby shop but no washers.
100 brass washers for 4 bucks, i figure i can wait some shipping time.
Btw, if you go this route i recommend getting a few 1 inch long #0 bolts and nuts. Helps in mocking up the razor to check on wedge shape and such. Or supporting scales off the table when putting a coating on them.

And, send me half your box of bolts and nuts for telling you about this. As i wasnt smart enough to figure this out untill 3 days after i made my order of washers. Ha.

I went to Ace and found brass rod in a 3 pack for less than 3 bucks and they are 12 to 14 inches i think. I also found the rods at a hobby shop but no washers.
100 brass washers for 4 bucks, i figure i can wait some shipping time.
Btw, if you go this route i recommend getting a few 1 inch long #0 bolts and nuts. Helps in mocking up the razor to check on wedge shape and such. Or supporting scales off the table when putting a coating on them.

What size was the rod?

Top Bottom