What's new

Where to buy Eye Dropper sized bottles?

Does anyone know where I might find a place to buy new eye dropper bottles.

Weird question I know, here's why.

In my search for a good quality, all natural, skin healthy ASB I decided to try and make my own ASB using the well touted rosehip oil as a base. I found a good source on ebay (under $8 for 4ozs including shipping) and am in the process of picking up some EO's to customize some scents.

I also recently went on vacation and wanted to take along a travel size amount of my just received in the mail rosehip oil.

So, I took an old almost empty bottle of eye drops, popped off the dropper part, emptied the bottle, sterilized it (soaked in rubbing alcohol), and then loaded it up w/some rosehip oil.

Fellas, this ended up being a great idea. For those of you who've used rosehip, you know that only 3 to 4 drops MAX is all you really need, so even a tiny 1/2 bottle will last several weeks if not a couple of months. And the builtin dropper top in these bottles makes dispensing the oil mess free. Plus, considering I'm looking to make a significant variety of scented rosehip oil concoctions, this size is perfect for me. 8 different scented ASBs out of some EO's and $8 worth of rosehip. Even more if I decide to "thin" out the rosehip by adding other ingredients.

So, that being said, other than buying cheapie $1 bottles of eye drops at a $1 store and then dumping them out, does anyone know where I might be able to buy some of these bottles?

~Joshua

Joshua,
If two or three will do, PM me with your address and I'll send them. I use them for my shave oil, which I will probably be discontinuing. If you order from a bottle supplier, generally there is a $10.00 additional small order fee.
Sue

Oh, BTW, castor and avocado oils are both nice on the skin (you can Google both + skin) and readily available.
Sue

Oh, BTW, castor and avocado oils are both nice on the skin (you can Google both + skin) and readily available.
Sue

Thanks for the offer for bottles, if they're 1oz or less I'll take them. I'll PM you my address.

Otherwise, the site Prince recommended should work out. And they have some pretty good prices for 1/2 oz containers that will work for creams that I've been looking for.

I think I've used castor before, but in a blend. Don't know if it was the castor or what, but it left me greasy.

I have been interested in Avocado, and was considering blending some of it w/my rosehip. Would you say avocado is a lighter or a heavier oil than rosehip?

Rosehip w/EO is perfect for winter, but a bit heavy for summer. So I'm looking for something to "weaken" it's moisturizing properties a bit. I was considering alcohol, but was hoping to find something a little more skin friendly.

btw, hope you're feeling better.

~Joshua

Joshua,
Bottles on the way to you. Good luck with your project!

I have never used Rosehip oil so I can't offer any advice on it. In my shave oil (only unfragranced), two of the multiple oils I use are Meadowfoam and Kukui. Meadowfoam is light and Kukui even lighter. I just tried both on the back of each hand and they are completely absorbed five minutes later. Of course, skin type plays a role here; my skin is normal to dry.

If you decide to 'cut' your oils with alcohol, hydrosol or another liquid other than another oil, you will need to use an emulsifier to prevent separation. Be careful with the addition of EO, some more than others will cause skin irritation. If the ratio of dilution is too high, this will also irritate. There is a lot of information on Essential Oils, search Google.

Thank you for your well wishes. I am feeling much better and hope to maybe have my site up this weekend or thereabouts.
Sue

For future reference the Container Store carries a very good selection of bottles and such including the small droppers. I got mine there that I use for Glycerin.

Joshua,
Bottles on the way to you. Good luck with your project!

I have never used Rosehip oil so I can't offer any advice on it. In my shave oil (only unfragranced), two of the multiple oils I use are Meadowfoam and Kukui. Meadowfoam is light and Kukui even lighter. I just tried both on the back of each hand and they are completely absorbed five minutes later. Of course, skin type plays a role here; my skin is normal to dry.

If you decide to 'cut' your oils with alcohol, hydrosol or another liquid other than another oil, you will need to use an emulsifier to prevent separation. Be careful with the addition of EO, some more than others will cause skin irritation. If the ratio of dilution is too high, this will also irritate. There is a lot of information on Essential Oils, search Google.

Thank you for your well wishes. I am feeling much better and hope to maybe have my site up this weekend or thereabouts.
Sue

Interesting. My wife picked up some Kukui the last time we were in Hawaii, I'll try some of that first.

Couple of questions.

What is and where can I get an emulsifier product that is not unhealthy for the skin. I knew that water based (like witch hazel) products wouldn't blend well w/oils, but I thought alcohol wouldn't be a problem.

Lastly, your comment on EOs. Are you saying if I overdillute (use too little Vs. too much) some EOs that they'll irritate the skin? I've heard the opposite, that using too much can be bad, but never too little.

I really only plan on sticking w/EOs that I know are in products that I already use, and I planned on adding slowly (you can always add more, but can never take out what you've already added).

thanks,
Joshua

No, not too little EO, using too much EO can irritate. Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. Polysorbate 20 will emulsify oils. It is a non-foaming emulsifier. You will most likely need to find it online. Majestic Mountain Sage and the Chemistry store carrie it and other vendors. Good luck.
Sue

Sue,

Just got the bottles in the mail today, these are perfect!

Do you have any ratio recommendations for the 1/2oz bottles you sent me? For instance, I picked up rosemary and peppermint EOs this weekend and I'm wondering how much to add to get a good scent, but not overdo it. Right now I'm only using a mix of rosehip and EO. But I plan on working in some of the other oils you recommended.

btw, you have more experience at this than me. I'm wondering if the place I bought my EO's from made a mistake, b/c the Rosemary EO smells VERY much like eucalyptus. Based on what I've found though, lots of EOs don't smell like people are used to until their cut into something else.

For instance, the peppermint I bought didn't truly smell like peppermint I was used to, but once I dilluted it, it was EXACTLY like I was used to. I'm wondering if the rosemary is the same.

thanks for the bottles and the advice,

~Joshua

Joshua,
The oil is so concentrated that you may have trouble discerning the fragrance until it is mixed. It's the same with FO.

Compare it to garlic. You probably wouldn't enjoy a raw garlic clove (nor would anyone around you :) but chopped finely into a simmering pot of spaghetti gravy, quite different.

I would use a pipette or lacking that, a eye dropper which is readily available in any pharmacy, to add a drop at a time. Allow time for the fragrance to develop and add a drop more until you find the strength you prefer. Write it down so you don't forget. Also write down the amounts of oil as a 'recipe', for instance; 5 T. Rosehip, 3 T. Kukai, 1 T. Avocado, 2 drops Rosemary, 1 drop Mint.

The strength you like won't be to everyone elses taste and will probably vary with each of the EO fragrances you use.

I'm happy to know the bottles will work for your project. Had I known, I'd have thrown in a couple pipettes.
Keep us posted, Sue

Castor oil is soluble in alcohol, in certain proportions. Tothe best of my knowlege it's the only oil (other than essential "oils") which does. However, it is very heavy anyway, so this may not help.

Alcohol aftershaves are the best!

...just thought I'd mention that...

:rolleyes:

No, not too little EO, using too much EO can irritate. Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. Polysorbate 20 will emulsify oils. It is a non-foaming emulsifier. You will most likely need to find it online. Majestic Mountain Sage and the Chemistry store carrie it and other vendors. Good luck.
Sue

Will EO's mix w/aloe vera gel, or will I need an emulsifier for those as well. I really like the smell of NB aftershave gel, but would like to make my own w/aloe gel, EO's and some rosehip for extra moisturization.

I'm guessing I'll need some polysorbate 20 for that.

~Joshua

Hi Joshua,
I don't know the answer to that as I haven't tried mixing the two. Try a small amount amd let it sit. If it has separated the next day, use emulsifier. If it hasn't in 24 hours, it probably won't. As long as it's for your own personal use and you don't mind giving it a shake before use, I wouldn't go to the expense of an emulsifier.
Sue

Top Bottom