What's new

whats your go to dive bar drink?

Rum and coke. Every place can do that, and it doesn't really matter what they use. I figure the alcohol in the rum and the acidity in the coke will kill any nastiness in the glassware. :biggrin1:

If the place looks so sketchy that I don't even want to chance that, I'll walk out.

Never understood people thinking drinking from a bottle is safer than the glass. The cases are usually kept in a cellar with numerous mice and rats running over them and doing their business, also plenty of dust and other dirt!

Six Schlitzes... or whatever's free.

$Super_Troopers_1080p_www_yify_torrents_com_3_large.png

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Between 5 and 8 in the morning, Bloody Mary. No question. After 8, PBR. Any bar that doesn't have PBR is obviously a commie hipster hangout. For more sophistication or conspicuous consumption, well bourbon or Jim Beam black or Jack Daniels, with diet coke. The crisp, clean chemical taste of the DC, and lack of sticky icky, really set up a nasty well bourbon. And JBB and JD can hold their own with any mixer. The amazing thing about a true dive bar (where the bartender is more skilled at tossing out customers than mixology) is how many drinks can be made dive bar style with sweet and sour mix or margarita mix. Harvey Wallbanger, anyone? A real dive bartender, when he doesnt know how to mix something, just grabs a mix and goes for it. Mai Tai? Singapore Sling? No problemo!

lots of our bars never close. Closing bars is so uncivilized and uncultured.

Couldn't agree more, my friend. I can't tell you how many times I was looking for a cold one after getting off of work at 3am. Alcohol cannot be served past 2am in Ontario. Makes me miss my days on the east coast, drinking until sunrise....:001_rolle

Between 5 and 8 in the morning, Bloody Mary. No question. After 8, PBR. Any bar that doesn't have PBR is obviously a commie hipster hangout. For more sophistication or conspicuous consumption, well bourbon or Jim Beam black or Jack Daniels, with diet coke. The crisp, clean chemical taste of the DC, and lack of sticky icky, really set up a nasty well bourbon. And JBB and JD can hold their own with any mixer. The amazing thing about a true dive bar (where the bartender is more skilled at tossing out customers than mixology) is how many drinks can be made dive bar style with sweet and sour mix or margarita mix. Harvey Wallbanger, anyone? A real dive bartender, when he doesnt know how to mix something, just grabs a mix and goes for it. Mai Tai? Singapore Sling? No problemo!

I thought hipsters like PBR? And a big fat +1 for the morning Bloody Mary, it's the breakfast of champions.

What's a dive bar??

Usually kind of a skid row dump, the kind of place the nightclub crowd avoid unless they are slumming it.
They are usually pretty comfortable if not the cleanest and drinks are cheaper than they would be at nicer places.

I would usually start off with a couple of Bud diesels and finish the night off with a Wild Turkey 101, neat. Every bar has bud, and I haven't found a dive bar that doesn't have turkey as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I thought hipsters like PBR? And a big fat +1 for the morning Bloody Mary, it's the breakfast of champions.
I thought hipsters didnt like anything that regular humans like. PBR has been a Redneck mainstay for generations. See Johnny Russell's tune about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3iVHxP8FQ I tended bar once in a joint that had $1.50 bloody marys before 8 in the morning. It was right around the corner from where I lived at the time.

I thought hipsters didnt like anything that regular humans like. PBR has been a Redneck mainstay for generations. See Johnny Russell's tune about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3iVHxP8FQ I tended bar once in a joint that had $1.50 bloody marys before 8 in the morning. It was right around the corner from where I lived at the time.

Lol, oh yeah I know but I thought they re-appropriated it like they did with vinyl, turntables and other good things. I'm not sure, I will have to ask my daughter. She thinks they're cool. Wow I sound old.

Two dive bars in the U.S. that really appealed to me and truly had all walks of life in them:

1) Rossi's in downtown Chicago. I ran the Chicago marathon then drank with a buddy at Rossi's until close. Total dive bar and great crowd.

2) Club Deuce in Miami Beach. I was there before it became trendy, following the filming of the movie "Miami Vice". Once Colin Farrell and pals were seen going there, it became popular.

Last edited:
Top Bottom