• Silvertip 24mm Short Loft

• Best Badger 16 - 20mm

• Best Badger 22mm Short Loft

• Finest 22 - 24mm Fan

• Finest 20 - 30mm Bulb

• Pure, Boar or Black Badger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Greetings gents!

I'm looking to get a good idea what TGN knots are most favored by our fine B&B members. I own several of different types, and of course have my favorites so far. But since it can be very hard to choose sometimes which one to get for a brush restore project, and everyones opinion is different, I thought I'd poll the masses!

I've tried to make a comprehensive poll list given my 12 available options. Obviously it's not complete. Please choose the one/'s you like the best and feel free to post what about or why you like it. Or if there's one that missed the list.

I will very likely take the top favorites into account for my next 4 upcoming brush projects!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
From my experience as a brush maker, I sell more two-band finest than Silvertip Grade A; all of the brushes I make and use TGN knots, I would say more than 95% have either one of these two knots in it. From the other knots, only a few short lofted Silvertip and once in a while a Black Pure, are used.

TGN Silvertip Grade A are top notch. I'm getting ready to sell my Simpsons because I like my Grade A better. Only the Rooney Heritage two band is better than TGN Grade A in my opinion.

The TGN two band is also a great knot and will stand toe to toe with the top brands.

From my experience as a brush maker, I sell more two-band finest than Silvertip Grade A; all of the brushes I make and use TGN knots, I would say more than 95% have either one of these two knots in it. From the other knots, only a few short lofted Silvertip and once in a while a Black Pure, are used.

Glad I could be one of those once in a while black pure RV brush owners :) . As a point of interested I love their silvertip. I haven't tried the super yet, but the grade a and regular (as well as the short loft) are amazing knots. I voted for the larger knots as right now I have a 26mm grade a that I am enjoying quite a bit and I will be ordering a 30mm beast shortly.

I've used a couple different styles and here's my take on them.

standard silvertip has fair backbone unless you max the loft, but it is a bit prickly.Which I don't care for.I like the tips to be soft.:sad:

Best badger is a little bit scratchy with the same pricklyness as the standard silvertip.:angry:

Black badger has much more backbone,much more pricklyness,much more scratchyness just a real displeasure to use.:cursing:

Super badger has the same backbone as the standard silvertip.The tips are vastly different though, much much softer.No pricklyness at all.:001_smile.

Recenty aquired a finest bulb.Greater backbone than black badger.tips are almost as super badger, not quite as soft but close.Haven't used it enough yet to rate it with a smiley.

Ok you Finest guys, I have to ask then.

Do any of you find that this knot in general takes more work to lather than other knots? Nevermind feel and all that, I'm talking straight lathering. I have two Finest knots. The 20 or 22mm Finest fan and a big 28mm bulb. Both of those knots honestly take me twice the amount of work to lather up any of my soaps or creams than any of my other brushes. My Super badger, or silvertip, my boar bristle... all whip it up with ease face or bowl. But the Finest takes actual work.

Is it me, or whats the deal?

I like the 2 band Finest Xtra Hair the best but the Silvertip Grade A is very nice and I also like the 20mm Super badger fan (set short) as well.

Keeping in mind I'm still a noob, I don't have experience with all the listed knots yet. So I didn't vote. But from the ones I've tried I'm digging a finest knot (set a little short) a lot more than the others I've tried (pure, black, best, silvertip.)

Finest 30mm :001_tt1:

proxy.php

I chose a finest badger for my restore. I am pretty happy with it. The extra hair option is nice too. I have been using a few different shaving sticks lately, and this type of knot works well for me :)

I went with extra hair on my 20mm finest and it is fabulous. I received my 24mm silvertip, 24mm super silvertip and 26mm finest today and I've got to admit for me, the silvertip is softer than the super silvertip and the finest and silvertip are extremely close to one another. I love them all but if one was going to ask my opinion I would say get the silvertip and get a finest at the same price as getting a super silvertip or a super badger.

I went with extra hair on my 20mm finest and it is fabulous. I received my 24mm silvertip, 24mm super silvertip and 26mm finest today and I've got to admit for me, the silvertip is softer than the super silvertip and the finest and silvertip are extremely close to one another. I love them all but if one was going to ask my opinion I would say get the silvertip and get a finest at the same price as getting a super silvertip or a super badger.

Hey DC. Have you used any of those before? I've got both the Silvertip, the Finest and a Super Badger(not Super Silvertip) I think you will find when you actually use them that the Silvertip will be the scritchiest of the 3. The Finest is very soft and has probably the most backbone of the 3. Not sure how Super Silvertip feels, but Super Badger is the softest knot I have and is a luxury to the face, while still capable of creating amazing lather cream or soap. It's really all a preference thing though.

So the Finest votes keep racking up but no one has answered my question about lathering it yet. Am I really the only one who finds it a much more difficult to lather knot comparetively?

You bet CyberJCM. I just got the three knots in tonight so I haven't used them yet. I do use my 20mm Finest TGN and it's earning its place right next to my Morris & Forndran. I just love that brush. Used it tonight with an Arko stick. TGN Finest is great because it is soft, a lather beast on soap or creams (whips up a mean MWF lather easily) and it doesn't hog the lather like other brushes. By the end of my 3rd pass there is just perfectly not enough lather to make a 4th pass with that brush no matter what soap or cream I use.

Sure would be funny if an $18 knot in Finest by TGN with a PIF'd handle becomes my all time favorite brush over any $100-200 name brand brush.

Top Bottom