What's new

What's Cooking, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Half jalapenos, scope out veins and seeds, drop in a litte dice garlic, spoon in cream cheese, wrap in bacon. Place in 4oo degree oven for 25 minutes.

$image.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The girls were off today checking out a college, so my wife left me a note saying there's a steak in the fridge for me. She apologized that it was a porterhouse, since she knows it's not my favorite (a fairly bland and moderately tender strip and a very tender but completely bland filet- why is it so popular?). I decided to attack it with a combination of modern technology and ancient traditions.

Whipped up a marinade of proprietary proportions of-
hatcho miso
shio koji
yuzu kosho
sake
mirin
rice vinegar
usukuchi soy
marudaizu soy
ginger
garlic

Went back to sleep. Hours later, blasted it on the grill to med-rare. It was an absolute umami bomb- the best steak I had in a long time.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
And for the next B&B fund raiser I bid $50 for pictures of Ouch's pantry. That sounds wonderful . . . I had to look up item 2 and 3 and have no idea about the different soy nor the specific miso.

We have a very large Asian population . . . grocery stores everywhere serving this market . . . I love shopping in these places . . . works pretty well to avoid things covered in dust. I watch grandma out of the corner of my eye and buy what she bought.

I've never found the hot version of fermented black bean paste and now I have two or three more things to search for.

ouch

I like a rib steak. Other tasty ones are the skirt and the onglet, but for my money there's nothing like a rib.

ouch

hatcho miso- a very dark, aged miso
$hatchomiso.jpg

shio koji- a paste made from rice inoculated with the Aspergillus oryzae mold
$wn1112_Marukome_sub.jpg

yuzu kosho- a fiery blend of chili peppers and yuzu, a Japanese citrus fruit
$ASY301.jpg

I'm running low on hot bean paste, fermented black beans, and miso paste, next time I go to the Asian market I'll look for hatcho miso, shio koji, and yuzu kosho as well.

I've been playing around with fish sauce. Ouch, do you have a preferred brand of fish sauce? I've read that Red Boat Fish Sauce is supposed to be pretty good.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Fun with Eggplant. Eggplant Timbale reprise and Eggplant Parm.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 53
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 53
I just picked up an absolute monster of a pork shank, for £2.50 :w00t:

$porkshank.jpg

Doesn't look very appetizing as I'd just blanched it, but it gives you an idea of the size! I'll be visiting the butcher again tomorrow to stock up on these, IF I can ever get it to turn out right. It's being roasted in a dish with onions, garlic and fennel seed with an inch of water in the bottom, skin liberally scored and salted. Pics to follow

Well, I'm sad to report yet another failed attempt. I just can't seem to get the damned things cooked right. 90C internal temp and the skin was tough as leather and the meat still undercooked. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong!

I'll try again tomorrow and break out the pork skin pricking tool, hopefully it'll make all the difference, but I'm doubtful!

You may have two issues Dave,
Pork skin is tough and I would think you need a much higher temp to get where you want to go with it. Perhaps brown it skin side down in a pan until you can get some puffyness to it and its rendering- then braise it?

That last few degrees to say 94-96 may have to be your end target- but holding it at 82 or so for a while may be the last little bit to tender up that fibrous joint. Perhaps lower your oven temps to 115 and cooking for 8+ hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom