What's new

What Timeless Razor Is Most Aggressive/Efficient? | How do you know?

Most efficient/aggressive Timeless razor?

• Total voters

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Of the Timeless razors you've used which is the most efficient? I'm interested not just in your vote, but in your experience with the razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Ti Slim gives me a Blackbird level shave but that hasn't been the experience of some other posters. YMMV

Efficiency is complicated. The SS 95OC was most efficient until it went ATG on my head where the Bronze 78 was more effective (and comfortable). I ended up selling the 95.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the aluminum but haven't used it yet, so I'm holding off on voting. I also want to compare again my Bronze 78 with my Ti 95 OC.

Timeless says the Bronze 78 is the most aggressive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Of the Timeless razors you've used which is the most efficient? I'm interested not just in your vote, but in your experience with the razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last time I looked, Timeless still states on the website that the Slim is their most "aggressive" razor.

In my opinion, having shaved with the Bronze .78, Stainless .95 and Ti Slim, the Bronze .78 is slightly more efficient than the Ti Slim and Stainless .95 (which are fairly close to each other).

The Ti Slim is my favorite based on the lower profile head - more nimble and maneuverable, smooth and plenty efficient.

All three are awesome razors! :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Last time I looked, Timeless still states on the website that the Slim is their most "aggressive" razor.

In my opinion, having shaved with the Bronze .78, Stainless .95 and Ti Slim, the Bronze .78 is slightly more efficient than the Ti Slim and Stainless .95 (which are fairly close to each other).

The Ti Slim is my favorite based on the lower profile head - more nimble and maneuverable, smooth and plenty efficient.

All three are awesome razors! :cool:

David, part of the reason I began this thread was to figure out how aggressive (by which I hope we all mean efficient) the various razors are.

Timeless Bronze 78 %22our most aggressive razor%22.png

5-19-21.TimelessBronze78.RV-D01.Vitos.640.JPG

⬆ That's what Timeless says about the 78 ⬆

Exactly what they mean by "aggressive" I'm not sure, but I notice they mention "efficient" in the same sentence. I don't hear the word smooth from Timeless.

What does Timeless say about the Slim?

Timeless SS Slim %22an aggressive razor%22.png

⬇ These comments concern the Ti Slim ⬇
⬆ Those comments are about the SS Slim ⬆
Timeless Ti Slim %22our most aggressive razor yet%22.png

It doesn't make sense to me that the SS Slim would be less aggressive or less efficient than the Ti Slim.

I've not used the Ti Slim at all and have used a borrowed SS Slim for only eight shaves.

Switching gears a bit, I did a little bitty totally inadequate shave off between the Timeless Bronze 78 and the Karve D SB. I wrote that the Karve D SB was both smoother feeling and more efficient. Exactly what that means I don't know. I don't recall any really big deal differences nor did I accumulate enough data to be sure about anything.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Chan Eil Whiskers

What Matt is referring to using the word aggressive is how "smooth or rough" the shave is comparably and efficiency is how "close" the shave is comparably to other razors.

As to which is more aggressive, I would put it that the "slim" is since its newer and he probably never took the time to change the phrasing on the Bronze .78's page to reflect it yet.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David, part of the reason I began this thread was to figure out how aggressive (by which I hope we all mean efficient) the various razors are.

⬆ That's what Timeless says about the 78 ⬆

Exactly what they mean by "aggressive" I'm not sure, but I notice they mention "efficient" in the same sentence. I don't hear the word smooth from Timeless.

View attachment 1278587
⬇ These comments concern the Ti Slim ⬇
⬆ Those comments are about the SS Slim ⬆View attachment 1278589

It doesn't make sense to me that the SS Slim would be less aggressive or less efficient than the Ti Slim.

I've not used the Ti Slim at all and have used a borrowed SS Slim for only eight shaves.

Switching gears a bit, I did a little bitty totally inadequate shave off between the Timeless Bronze 78 and the Karve D SB. I wrote that the Karve D SB was both smoother feeling and more efficient. Exactly what that means I don't know. I don't recall any really big deal differences nor did I accumulate enough data to be sure about anything.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You and I are on the same page. It's difficult to sort out "marketing speak".

My preference for the Slim is not based on efficiency alone but rather on the sum total of the traits: efficient, smooth, nimble and maneuverable.

Just my opinion. :)

[emoji651] That's what Timeless says about the 78 [emoji651]

View attachment 1278587
[emoji652] These comments concern the Ti Slim [emoji652]
[emoji651] Those comments are about the SS Slim [emoji651]View attachment 1278589

Happy shaves,

Jim
While exposure, gap, and clamp distance, can be quantified, efficiency cannot, as it depends on what's being shaved and user technique, not just geometry.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

What Matt is referring to using the word aggressive is how "smooth or rough" the shave is comparably and efficiency is how "close" the shave is comparably to other razors.

As to which is more aggressive, I would put it that the "slim" is since its newer and he probably never took the time to change the phrasing on the Bronze .78's page to reflect it yet.

Not saying you're wrong here, but how do you know that's what Matt means.

Aggressive to me means one or more of several things.
  • Rough as opposed to smooth feeling on the skin
  • Prone to biting
  • Not comfortable
  • Irritating to the skin
I realize a lot of people use aggressive to mean some mysterious combination of what I mean by aggressive combined with efficient. As if they have to go together. As if an aggressive razor by definition aggressively gobbles up whiskers and skin all in one big bite.

As I see it, a razor can be smooth feeling on the skin, not prone to biting, comfortable to use, and not irritating to the skin and at the same time it can also be efficient. An example of that sort of razor would be the FOCS, but there are others of course.

It seems to me you and I probably see things much the same way, but how do you know Matt's on the same page? Hopefully, you've discussed it with him.

I try not to use the word aggressive without defining what I mean. I wish that were universal, but it's not.

That's my guess too, but I've used both the Slim and the Bronze 78 which confuses the issue for me; I've not used either "enough" though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My SS95 OC is my most efficient and smooth shaving razor. BBS in 2 passes, WTG, XTG, and no irritation, weepers, etc after alum and aftershave splash. Have the SB plate too but have never used it, I like OC razors. My bronze 78 is my most aggressive razor, especially with a new Feather blade. I have to be very careful with my technique else I feel like I will peel my face off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My SS95 OC is my most efficient and smooth shaving razor. BBS in 2 passes, WTG, XTG, and no irritation, weepers, etc after alum and aftershave splash. Have the SB plate too but have never used it, I like OC razors. My bronze 78 is my most aggressive razor, especially with a new Feather blade. I have to be very careful with my technique else I feel like I will peel my face off.

Lovely distinction between efficient and aggressive.

Sometimes I think I should buy and try the 95 SB. Hearing about yours being orphaned may at least postpone that decision.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not saying you're wrong here, but how do you know that's what Matt means.

Aggressive to me means one or more of several things.
  • Rough as opposed to smooth feeling on the skin
  • Prone to biting
  • Not comfortable
  • Irritating to the skin
I realize a lot of people use aggressive to mean some mysterious combination of what I mean by aggressive combined with efficient. As if they have to go together. As if an aggressive razor by definition aggressively gobbles up whiskers and skin all in one big bite.

As I see it, a razor can be smooth feeling on the skin, not prone to biting, comfortable to use, and not irritating to the skin and at the same time it can also be efficient. An example of that sort of razor would be the FOCS, but there are others of course.

It seems to me you and I probably see things much the same way, but how do you know Matt's on the same page? Hopefully, you've discussed it with him.

I try not to use the word aggressive without defining what I mean. I wish that were universal, but it's not.

That's my guess too, but I've used both the Slim and the Bronze 78 which confuses the issue for me; I've not used either "enough" though.

Happy shaves,

Jim
In my opinion, aggressiveness and efficiency are 2 completely different things but they do coexist together... Efficiency is how the razor removes stubble or growth whereas aggressiveness describes the razor in general.... ie the Blackbird would be aggressive where the Henson would be mild. Now with that being said, just because a razor is aggressive doesn't necessarily mean it will be more efficient than a mild razor. That is only determined by who is using it as we all know YMMV goes very far in wet shaving as what works for me might not work for you and visa versa...

As to Matt @ Timeless, I saw a video at some point where he was describing the characteristics of the different razors he had and at the time the .78 Bronze he said was the most aggressive razor in the line up just as it say on the Bronze listing on the site you referenced. He has since made the "Slim" which he now considers to be more aggressive than the .78 Bronze but because he hasn't changed the Bronze listing I think most people, and obviously you, are confused by this...

Its late here and I hope this makes some level of sense to you and didn't come out like I was rambling!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In my opinion, aggressiveness and efficiency are 2 completely different things but they do coexist together... Efficiency is how the razor removes stubble or growth whereas aggressiveness describes the razor in general.... ie the Blackbird would be aggressive where the Henson would be mild. Now with that being said, just because a razor is aggressive doesn't necessarily mean it will be more efficient than a mild razor. That is only determined by who is using it as we all know YMMV goes very far in wet shaving as what works for me might not work for you and visa versa...

As to Matt @ Timeless, I saw a video at some point where he was describing the characteristics of the different razors he had and at the time the .78 Bronze he said was the most aggressive razor in the line up just as it say on the Bronze listing on the site you referenced. He has since made the "Slim" which he now considers to be more aggressive than the .78 Bronze but because he hasn't changed the Bronze listing I think most people, and obviously you, are confused by this...

Its late here and I hope this makes some level of sense to you and didn't come out like I was rambling!!

No, you make perfect sense.

He has since made the "Slim" which he (Matt) now considers to be more aggressive than the .78 Bronze but because he hasn't changed the Bronze listing I think most people, and obviously you, are confused by this...

Not saying you're wrong here. My guess is you're correct. However, how do you know Matt now considers the Slim more aggressive than the Bronze 78?

Also, when Matt says aggressive does he mean aggressive as in efficient or what?

I'm fine with using the word aggressive when it's then defined in context, but when it's not defined I have no idea what anyone's talking about. I understood you very well I think.

The Blackbird is in my experience with it very aggressive in that it jumps up out of the bushes and bites me. Maybe I should use it more. Perhaps were I to do so I'd like it a lot better. Maybe it's bitten me because my technique with it has been lousy. I'd say the Blackbird is both aggressive and efficient.

The Timeless Ti 95 OC in my experience is not at all aggressive (in fact I'd call it mild) but it's quite efficient in a sense.

I've used razors which were able to deliver a quick dolphin skin super close shave even when very little work was done. The 95 OC is not efficient like that; it requires some work (passes, strokes), but it gets the job done pretty well.

I've not used razors which could deliver a dolphin skin shave with little work and also leave my skin feeling comfortable.

Of course all my comments are only based on my experiences with the razors, and sometimes that means my insufficient experience. In the hands of experts the razors I don't get along with might be great in all respects. There are guys who shave with the iKon Tech as a daily driver.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not saying you're wrong here. My guess is you're correct. However, how do you know Matt now considers the Slim more aggressive than the Bronze 78?

Also, when Matt says aggressive does he mean aggressive as in efficient or what?
As I mentioned in my earlier post, since the "Slim" is a newer plate being offered by Matt and he says in the description that it is "their most aggressive razor yet", I would take that to mean just that and he should go back and change the description for the .78 Bronze to reflect its "not" the most aggressive razor they have anymore.

My understanding of what Matt means when he says aggressive it's in how much more blade forward the razor is in comparison to others in his line up. This is how I have perceived how the aggressiveness progresses in the Timeless line up from mild to aggressive and keep in mind this is my view of what I've understood from what I've read in posts from people that have used these!! To date I've only used .68SB Ti, .95SB / OC in both SS and Ti and I only have the .95DC Ti as my only razor in my cabinet...

Aluminum
.38 Bronze SB / .68SB SS or Ti
.68OC SS or Ti
.95SB SS or Ti
.95OC SS or Ti
.78 Bronze OC
Slim SS or Ti

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
20210609_153330~2.jpg

Beautiful razor. Heavy but very well balanced. Feels great in the hand. Used my preferred steep angle. Controlled, very efficient and very effective shave. :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Razor: Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
View attachment 1279367
Beautiful razor. Heavy but very well balanced. Feels great in the hand. Used my preferred steep angle. Controlled, very efficient and very effective shave. :thumbup:

Really beautiful photo with all that metal and gold colors.

It is a 4+ beautiful razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why this has just occurred to me I have no idea, but I've been suddenly struck with the fact there are actually two versions of the Timeless Slim. I'm not talking metals here, but OC and SB.

I've used (eight shaves) the OC Slim in SS. That tells me little about the SB version especially in Ti.

I'll need to do some homework.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Why this has just occurred to me I have no idea, but I've been suddenly struck with the fact there are actually two versions of the Timeless Slim. I'm not talking metals here, but OC and SB.

I've used (eight shaves) the OC Slim in SS. That tells me little about the SB version especially in Ti.

I'll need to do some homework.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have the SB Slim. ;)

Top Bottom