What's new

what supplements & vitamins do you take?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
50 percent of Americans have major deficiencies in:
Magnesium
D3
B12 (folic acid)
B6
Fish Oils (Omega 3's)
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin K2
Zinc

Minerals:
Chromium Picolinate
Iodine

Supplements that one may not be deficient in, but helps the body to detox or improve health

NAC- helps control Glutathione deficiency, which occurs frequently in many diseases because of a variety of factors that include viral protein-mediated GSH depletion uncontrolled inflammatory reactions and increased generation of free radicals. Also helps the Liver and Kidney's as an antioxidant. Also helps the Thyroid in regulating hormones working along with iodine which also helps the thyroid.

Certain digestive enzymes, like Bromelain, Protease, Lipase, Amylase helps break down and digest proteins, fats and carbs for older people with slow digestions

Probiotics & Prebiotics for good gut bacteria and flora. Not only strengthens the Mucosal Linings of our organs, body cavities, nose, mouth, lungs and stomach, Medical science is showing, keeping a healthy Mucosal and gut flora, promotes the prevention of many diseases and cancers.

Tumeric- (Curcumin) Major anti-inflammatory. So is Ginger, Spirulina, Chlorophyll and Green Tea Extracts.

While I would suggest the vitamins everyday in a multivitamin, many multivitamins have a bunch of everything, but not enough of any one thing in particular. But there's somethings in this list that can benefit most everyone, if they are not already shining examples of perfect health and would like to improve or supplement their diets and daily nutrition.

Oh yeah, but your miles may vary. You do you. :)
When I injured my MTP joint in my right foot, I believe Bromelain really helped the healing process. I take it daily.

@OkieStubble

Thank you for your detailed reply.
It certainly contains a lot of truth.
The belief that the industry, in the form of tablets, gives you better health definitely plays a big role. You can believe that, but you don't have to.
I often think of my grandfather.
He was 96 years old and his brother 103 years. An amazing age. Without ever taking a single supplement. There was nothing like that at the time. He took part in the First and Second World Wars as a German soldier and was also a prisoner of war.
Eating a balanced diet was impossible. He was engaged in agriculture all his life. Vacation was a foreign word for him. Despite this, these people were blessed with robust and unshakable health.
What I'm saying is that genetics has a greater impact on our health than taking supplements.
Someone who is really sick or has a chronic illness can of course benefit from supplements.
No question.
I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm a eastgerman :biggrin1:.

I still take D3 daily and I've added magnesium although I don't take it every day. I'm pretty confident that I get the sufficient amounts of the rest of my micronutrients from food...and supplemental vitamins and minerals are typically inferior in terms of bioavailability.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble

Thank you for your detailed reply.
It certainly contains a lot of truth.
The belief that the industry, in the form of tablets, gives you better health definitely plays a big role. You can believe that, but you don't have to.
I often think of my grandfather.
He was 96 years old and his brother 103 years. An amazing age. Without ever taking a single supplement. There was nothing like that at the time. He took part in the First and Second World Wars as a German soldier and was also a prisoner of war.
Eating a balanced diet was impossible. He was engaged in agriculture all his life. Vacation was a foreign word for him. Despite this, these people were blessed with robust and unshakable health.
What I'm saying is that genetics has a greater impact on our health than taking supplements.
Someone who is really sick or has a chronic illness can of course benefit from supplements.
No question.
I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm a eastgerman :biggrin1:.

Great post my man. There’s no argument here from me. I absolutely agree with you, that genetics does play a greater role and has a larger impact on one’s health than does supplementation.

I also believe, eating clean, whole food belief in God and prayer, along with a good exercise regiment does also.

However, some have better genetics than others. Your Grandfather’s great genetics that he passed down to you could be the anomaly and not the norm in the huge picture of societal health?

Modern farming and soil erosion, GMO, genetically altered seed, modern pesticides and many other factors also play a huge role in that society not being able to benefit the full and complete nutritional value we once got from our food. Even the price of good food today, can inhibit many.

I never said supplementation was a cure or a replacement for anything else, so I don’t understand how that became a debate? However, supplementation is definitely one of many answers in how we can attempt to fill in the gaps from the above troubles I just listed.

I personally, will attempt to use vitamins, minerals and Herbs and many other natural extracts and supplements before absolutely having to need, go to, or depend on the Big Pharma Industry. But that’s just me.

I’m no doctor; and I would never attempt to diagnose or prescribe anything to anyone else. But I won’t deny, that many natural things have helped me over the years in my health, either to maintain and/or restore. :)

Last edited:
I personally, will attempt to use vitamins, minerals and Herbs and many other natural extracts and supplements before absolutely having to need, go to, or depend on the Big Pharma Industry. But that’s just me.
That is also absolutely correct and basically you are doing it right.
I think we both basically understood that you should invest in your body, mind and health. You must not lose touch with God and nature and should work on yourself every day.
I liked your list of things. Stay on this path and never lose faith.
I never said supplementation was a cure or a replacement for anything else, so I don’t understand how that became a debate?
A debate? I don't see a dabate here.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I have a pretty consistent daily stack. The only thing that comes out is the vitamin D in spring/summer when I get plenty of outdoor time.

Morning drink:
1 scoop greens
1 scoop fiber
1 scoop glutamine

Pills:
Mens specific compound multi vitamin w/ decent zinc content
Omega
D
Cumin

Post training
1 scoop protein
1 scoop creatine

May have another protein shake depending on my whole food intake and if needed to hit daily protein goal.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I used to take SOOOOO many. The past year I've been whittling them down, trying to stick to things that give me a lot of quality for the money. My goal has been to keep around only what is most necessary and cut the rest.

First thing I did was stop buying separate vitamins. I now stick to a multivitamin. I enjoy New Chapter, MegaFood, and Rainbow Light for multivitamins - the "Food Based" types. Rainbow Light provides the best value for money when I buy their 150ct bottles, so those are what I'm sticking with primarily.

Second, since I train in Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu, as well as at an MMA gym to help put it together, and I lift weights for strength and injury prevention, I asked myself what "performance" supplements were worth keeping around. The ONLY one that made the cut as an athletic performance supplement was Creatine, so I take 3g per day.

Third, I looked to my sleep. It's important to recover between training and lifting. I keep 1mg Melatonin around only for when I'm having trouble sleeping, and some Magnesium Glycinate which helps my sleep and electrolyte balance at night.

This is now everything I regularly take. I still have some bottles of things here and there that haven't been either finished or expired, and they'll be phased out over time. The only other supplements I am going back and forth on are Nootropic supplements, as I do feel they help me at work a bit, but I haven't found one that gives me as much bang for my buck as I'd like. Some are inexpensive, but I don't feel a difference from them, and others give me major results but cost as much as my other supplements combined.

Since the kung flu madness, I started taking Vit C, D, zinc and Quercetin with bromelain for immune health. I also take fish oil and CholestOFF for my not-so-great cholesterol. Tumeric with black pepper for my joint pain. It all seems to have been a net positive for me.

OkieStubble

Since the kung flu madness, I started taking Vit C, D, zinc and Quercetin with bromelain for immune health. I also take fish oil and CholestOFF for my not-so-great cholesterol. Tumeric with black pepper for my joint pain. It all seems to have been a net positive for me.

That’s all good stuff! I try to take those exact same supplements for immune health, but I take so many different natural supplements for so many different things, I have trouble incorporating them into my daily diet and day to day rituals and comings and goings. :)

So I have to be selective when and how. Haven’t heard too much on the Covid front ad of late, so I will wait until the fall and flu season to take the immunity supplements.

I’m busy this summer with just taking vitamins & minerals and protein powders and amino’s and nitric oxide and collagen and pre workout powders for fitness, plus supplements to detox the internals.

Immunity supplements would be an overload right now. My plate and my pill box are just too full. Talk about supplements overload…. :eek2:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I've been doing Chamomile tea, Passion Flower extract and Magnesium Glycinate in the evening before bed. It seems to improve the quality of my sleep.

Vitamin D and that’s it. I spent a lot of time in the sun and when I retired all the sun exposure stopped. After a month or so I started having joint pain. This was the only change in my routine so I added vitamin D and the pain went away.

OkieStubble

Vitamin D and that’s it. I spent a lot of time in the sun and when I retired all the sun exposure stopped. After a month or so I started having joint pain. This was the only change in my routine so I added vitamin D and the pain went away.

I take vitamin D and spend time under a sun lamp during the winter months. :)

I read an article quite sometime ago, where a mother and daughter tried a 3 month experiment.

The daughter took only a vitamin D supplement every day for 3 months and the mother only used a sun lamp everyday for 3 months. They both ate the exact same diet and they both did the same exercise routine during that 3 months.

At the end of the 3 months they had a blood test to check the amount of vitamin D in their blood. Not surprisingly; the daughter, who took only the supplement, had much more vitamin D in her blood than the mother who only used the sun lamp.

But what was very surprising to me, was they continued to have their blood tested once a month for the next three months after stopping the supplement and not using the sun lamp for those next 3 months.

While the daughter had more vitamin D in her blood by the supplement, the vitamin D did not stay as long in her body as the mothers did by using the sun lamp. By the end of the 3 month blood tests, while the mother had less vitamin D in her blood at the beginning, she ended up having more in her blood after she stopped using the sun lamp for 3 months.

So, it looked to me from the experiment, maybe having the supplement D form and the sun exposure both, would be a good overall idea for adequate long lasting vitamin D in the blood. From everything I read, most Americans are extremely low when it comes to their vitamin D and Magnesium levels.

I take vitamin D and spend time under a sun lamp during the winter months. :)

I read an article quite sometime ago, where a mother and daughter tried a 3 month experiment.

The daughter took only a vitamin D supplement every day for 3 months and the mother only used a sun lamp everyday for 3 months. They both ate the exact same diet and they both did the same exercise routine during that 3 months.

At the end of the 3 months they had a blood test to check the amount of vitamin D in their blood. Not surprisingly; the daughter, who took only the supplement, had much more vitamin D in her blood than the mother who only used the sun lamp.

But what was very surprising to me, was they continued to have their blood tested once a month for the next three months after stopping the supplement and not using the sun lamp for those next 3 months.

While the daughter had more vitamin D in her blood by the supplement, the vitamin D did not stay as long in her body as the mothers did by using the sun lamp. By the end of the 3 month blood tests, while the mother had less vitamin D in her blood at the beginning, she ended up having more in her blood after she stopped using the sun lamp for 3 months.

So, it looked to me from the experiment, maybe having the supplement D form and the sun exposure both, would be a good overall idea for adequate long lasting vitamin D in the blood. From everything I read, most Americans are extremely low when it comes to their vitamin D and Magnesium levels.
That makes total sense. You wonder how many people take pain medication when it’s actually a vitamin deficiency.

Top Bottom