Strop: Scruppleworks Oil Tanned
Soap: MWF
Brush: WW 24MM Black Wolf Synthetic
Aftershave: Captains Choice Cat of Nine
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Clubman

$IMG_5228.jpg

Last edited:
This razor was part of an antique store find by another SR shaver. He contacted me and asked if I was interested in acquiring some old razors in need of help or restoration. I jumped at the opportunity to acquire this lovely old shaver.
View attachment 684661

Thanks for the details. It's a really attractive design. What materials are the scales made of? It kind of looks like painted wood, but I really don't know anything about what was used for scales on vintage razors like this.

Legion

Staff member

Could we get a shot of the blade? It looks like quite an unusual combo. I've seen and photographed razors with similar scales from the 18th century, which are on display in the V&A museum in London. Mod Emeritus Mdunn has one very similar as well. But of course they are so old they have a stubby tail, and no sort of hollow grind, which that blade seems to have.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...the-oldest-razor/page8?highlight=oldest+razor

It would be interesting to try and work out how and when this razor was put together, because the bullseye pin look nice and well done.

Last edited:
Could we get a shot of the blade? It looks like quite an unusual combo. I've seen and photographed razors with similar scales from the 18th century, which are on display in the V&A museum in London. Mod Emeritus Mdunn has one very similar as well. But of course they are so old they have a stubby tail, and no sort of hollow grind, which that blade seems to have.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...the-oldest-razor/page8?highlight=oldest+razor

It would be interesting to try and work out how and when this razor was put together, because the bullseye pin look nice and well done.

David,
The blade isn't original; I had it made for these scales since the previous blades were shot. The bullseye washer is original, the pin isn't.

I put together a post on my shave journal with the details of where I got these scales and what I did with them. Read about it here.

Thanks for the links you provided. I had seen those a while back and they got me interested in knowing when mine might date from.

Top Bottom